Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Religious Right's "Moral" Values (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Religious Right's "Moral" Values
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hoping the wackos go away" only goes so far when the "wackos" seem to multiply in number geometricaly each year and when political lobbiests often work for the more extreme minority.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would urge a full investigation of this flyer, to determine how factual it is, for example I have read it through several times and don't see a reference to a Fred Phelps. Where exactly did those who mentioned him here find him in connection to this flyer?

As far as the Christian American response, of course it will not be monolithic. There are a great many Christian Americans who believe that homosexuality is a sin simply because the Book says so. However, they do realize that there is no hierarchy of sin in the eyes of God, and that homosexual behaviour is no more sinful than lust or philandering in the straight world. Certainly such people are not hated by God, nor should they be hated by God's people.

That's my 2 cents.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Irishman,

Fred Phelps founded the Westboro Baptist Church. This flier was found on their webpage.
Google can be a wonderful research tool - it would have taken you five seconds to find the connection for yourself, if you'd bothered.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fred "god hates fags" Phelps is something of a legend in altsex communities, and homosexuality is his particular hobbyhorse. Even among fundamentalist fruit loops he's in a class by himself. No one I know considers him to be representative of Christians, or even fundamentalists. The man is a wacko's wacko.

Marian

Melian
Member # 1469

- posted      Profile for Melian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's slightly interesting the guy who was jailed actually contacted these people to ask them to *stop* supporting him as he thought they went even too far for him, and he's not exactly pro-gay.

I'd be surprised if they'd even be able to pinpoint us on a map, though.

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think he can pinpoint his country's outer realms, like Iraq, either.

Anyway, fundies are everywhere. Is there a true danger that they turn into the Christian version of Muslim muhajdeens and start blowing up stuff everywhere? I don't think so... they are much like barking dogs.

Is there a true danger people being sympathising with their cause? That I don't know.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure there's a "true danger of them blowing up stuff"!
Plenty of Abortion Clinics and the doctors that work in them opertate in mortal danger every day.

All it takes is an athiest in the White House for their targets to branch out to government buildings....they're that dangerpous.
...and just like the muslim version, these extremists are often sheltered by those that sympathise with them on religous grounds.

Watch the crowd at a speach by Pat Robertson to see a truly scary bunch of zealots.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Melian
Member # 1469

- posted      Profile for Melian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From where did this people surge? Where do they come from and what drives them? How many are they?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

From their secret lair under Washington D.C., of course.
Possibly also from Uranus.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blame the Pilgrims.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Oh...I do.
(shakes fist in the air)

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"All it takes is an athiest in the White House..."

Unfortunately, that's something that won't happen within any of our lifetimes. An atheist couldn't get elected to most city councils, much less the presidency of the United States.

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a too strong relationship between religion and state in the US. And in most countries, too...

What happened to all those freemasons plaguing the first steps of your Republic? When did this turn so bad?

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN, Let's not assume that an atheist that make sit to the highest office in the land won't also have axes to grind with organized religion. This fear goes both ways.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'd settle for a President that was not in Organized Christianity's pocket.
One that really believes that Church and State should be seperate.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps