Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Religious Right's "Moral" Values (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Religious Right's "Moral" Values
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: Our media has started mentioning Fred "Yeehaw" Phelps as well now, even godhatesfags.com came up.
When asked about the affair, �ke Green declared that he was currently researching ways to sue the pastor and the websites who used his name for their agenda.

One of our major newspapers (Aftonbladet) interviewed Phelps, who at one point had claimed that 20 000 swedes had died in Asia with God's help. The reporter informed him that only about 2000 are missing right now, and Phelps answered "Really? That's too bad. I wish all of you would die."

I also hear the Westboro congregation will picket outside stores who sell Electrolux-products, just for being of swedish manufacture. Good job Fred.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like they've got some serious priority issues, then. I would think one of the most deadly natural diasters in history would sort of drown out one crazy guy and his family.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phelps' house is probably wall-to-wall Ikea.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to give my kudos to Green for distancing himself from Phelps.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Phelps' house is probably wall-to-wall Ikea.

Almost certainly. [Wink]

Sad that he's getting any media attention though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
diasters
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twice as good as monasters.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know Simon was into herbs. But then, I didn't know he was into packing fruit, either.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone got a link as to exactly why Green was arrested (if in fact he really was- who can tell what grain of truth might be in Phelp's tract?)?

What law could he have broken there?
Some sort of anti-defamation thing?

In the US, First Amendment rights would have certainly protected him from anything short of encitig violence towards gays.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was quoted in a sermon as saying that "the gay movement is a satanical protest movement against The Lord", and that "these sexual abnormities are as a cancer tumour on the body of society" and that (homosexuality) "opens the gateway to bestiality and pedophilia".

He did throw in the "but hey we shouldn't judge them, after all Jesus didn't"-card in the end of the sermon, but according to the court it didn't negate the previous statements.

Our national association for sexual equality (RFSL) reported him to the authorities, who tried him as the first swedish case ever under the "agitation against an ethnic group"-clause after homosexuals had been recognized as an ethnic group.
He was sentenced to 30 days of jail last year.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ethnic group?

Doesn't sound right to me.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

A translation problem, perhaps? I suppose that, by the very loosest of dictionary definitions, "ethnic" could apply here. But it's certainly not the way the word is actually used by... anyone.
Nim
Member # 205

Ethnic as in a part of the population. Since their persecution has singled them out so distinctly (through hate crimes), I'm not surprised the decision was made.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It still seems very shakey ground for a jail sentence.
The problem I have with such legislation (here is "hate crimes" laws) is that they're putting someone on trial for an idea.

If anything, it hurts the agrieved party (in this case gays).
After all, who wants to be associated with a group that has to hide behind a vague law?
It will probably serve as a rallying point for all those that already dont like gays and certainly wont prevent anyone from further "agitation".

If someone hated the group I beling to (the albino leprechauns of Florida), I'd rather let my enemies show themselves, rather than have them rally in private. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

Let me get this straight, you would rather the government did tolerate the threats and slander you receive from those people in the treehouse down by the river?

quote:
After all, who wants to be associated with a group that has to hide behind a vague law?
Maybe those who appreciate their government recognizing their plight.

And I don't think the law is there for this interest (better word) group to hide from, as much as it is a sign that the lawmakers are aware that this group takes much more flak than others.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps