Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Now YOU can have your very own Living Will!!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Now YOU can have your very own Living Will!!!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what's reall the most disturbing part of this whole thing? The fact that no more than three US senators got together and "passed" a bill, and no-one's doing anything about it.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please elucidate.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prediction: by the next Congressional election, at least one elected representative at the state level or higher will have switched, or attempted to switch, from the phrase "judicial activism" to the phrase "judicial terrorism."
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elucidate what? Three Republican senators got together and "passed" that Schiavo-related bill just before Easter by a 3-0 vote. Even though it ultimately had no effect, there should still be a huge outcry. What does it mean for the country when any three members of a house of Congress can just get together and pass all the wacky legislation they like? There's a reason that the Constitution requires one-half of a house to be present before it can do anything.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, really?
I'm a complete blank slate on this, but from a Canadian perspective, shouldn't a piece of legislation have to pass through both houses and get signed by the head of state, in this case the President?
Meh, provide a link for reading [Smile]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, it's mentioned in the Wikipedia article about the legislation. It was also mentioned in several newspaper articles just after it happened.

Yes, even from a US perspective, a piece of legislation should have to pass through both houses and be signed by the president. But, in this case, it pased through one house, passed through 3% of the other house, and then the president signed it. Yet, no-one's calling them on it. I mean, if three senators can pass a bill, what's to stop three representatives from doing the same thing? Three senators, three representatives, and George Bush. Seven people could start passing all the legislation they want to.

And what's to stop them at three apiece? How about one? George Bush, Dennis Hastert, and Bill Frist get together in a room and start churning out whatever laws they please. And I'm not really exaggerating much here. There's hardly a big difference between one congressperson, and three.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just shows how meek the Democrats have become- they dont want to further alienate the Christian voting populace so the Republicans can do whatever the fuck they want with any sensitive subjects: my favorite (currently) subject is the proposed removal to all references to contraception in public school's health classes and only (Christian approved) abstenance programs taught.
No Dem is going near it either. [Roll Eyes]

In my own state, the prople voted on and approved a bill legalizing slot machine gambling.
Jeb Bush was opposed to the bill (as was I, frankly) and has changed the bill after the vote so that only certain kinds of video machines are allowed.
Now that's illeagal as fuck, but no one's gonna oppose the President's brother.

The TV news is not even reporting on it: so much for the "liberal media". [Mad]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Th' hell? How does THAT happen?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know- but no one's doing anything about it either.
Even the ACLU is quiet on this front.
Who should we complain to? The Congress?
The President?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Member # 91

One was apparently my senator. I e-mailed him, for all the good that'll do.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I seriously doubt that any elected official reads their recieved mail: electronic or otherwise.

An aide probably skimms them if there's a deluge in a given week.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By many accounts you're quite wrong about that.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Really?
You know of an (state or higher) elected official that reads his/her own mail...themself: not some lackey reading it and bringing something to his/her attention that might be a cute human intrest story.

Call me skeptical, but I dont think so.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

As hip as it is to be cynical, the basic skill of politicians is listening to what people want and then creatively explaining why they won't do it, unless they will. So they read letters, e- or otherwise, and take visitors, and all sorts of things. I'm not saying that when you write a letter to Senator Jetson it gets hand delivered to his desk by Mr. McFeely, or that every elected official everywhere pays equally close attention, but ultimately they have to keep track of what the folks back home are saying, because votes are just as important a political commodity as insider influence.

Oh man some even blog!!1

If you're really concerned, maybe you should take a day, drive up to Tallahassee and pay your representatives a visit? You could ask them in person.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Mmmmmm....No.
Death by Strangualtion is still a crime here after all.

As to "doing what the people want", see my post on Jeb Bush re-writing a bill after it was voted into law.

Yeah...he cares a lot. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps