Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Future of New Orleans (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The Future of New Orleans
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how important are the diplomas? Would he have to show them to get a job? Or were they just hung on his wall to make him feel like he'd done somethign with his life? I couldn't even begin to guess where my degree certificate is.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mum's put mine on the mantlepiece next to the cheesy graduation photo (and I have to say, I never realised that you were handed a fake degree for that. It felt...deceptive).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
And how important are the diplomas? Would he have to show them to get a job? Or were they just hung on his wall to make him feel like he'd done somethign with his life? I couldn't even begin to guess where my degree certificate is.

Well, mine are at the bottom of a closet, but I guess they were a point of pride for him.
He is going for a Masters degree so I'm guessing the others were on display.

Sadly, no one really checks credentials anymore- over a dozen florida teachers were just fired a few months back- for having no college degree at all!

But that's here and we are rather odd.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? No politics? So I was over at the parent's Friday and CNN was coming down HARD on the president. It was almost like European news reporting. Things look BAD in New Orleans and Lousiana. And not just flood damage. People are angry. I mean it's a bad sign when they're bussing folks into Texas sports stadiums, isn't it? Cutting federal funding to levee programs seems like a really bad idea now. A lot of people are drawing unflattering comparisons to Clinton's actions/reactions with Floyd.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the U.S. supposed to do? Set off a nuke in Nawlens to dry it all up? People are angry, but they expect INSTANT response. They don't have a clue about the logistics involved in such a massive operation.

Bussing survivors out of the area is probably the best option at this point. You are getting them to areas where they can get medical help, food, water, and clothing and away from a disaster area that will soon become a festering sea of disease and pestilence.

It will take DECADES to undo what this has done. It will take time for the waters to subside. Then there will be months of cleanup. You can pretty much write off most of the existing structures as uninhabitable due to the damage to structural members and probable shifting of foundations. Utility lines will most likely need complete replacement due to the infiltration of the flood water and whatever contaminates it contains. Fresh water supplies will be the most dificult to obtain and for quite some time will need to be shipped in. Building materials will have to be shipped in from other areas. All civil support mechanisms will have to come from out of the area.

Economically, you've lost the industry and income of a major port and tourist attraction. You now have perhaps a couple million refugees that will have to be dispersed to other areas. Their care will affect the economies of surrounding areas that will need to meet basic needs without having remuneration. This will cause a substantial drain on the local economies nearby. How do you house, clothe, & feed two million now homeless people? What about the psychological impacts?

It's sad. And it's not going to get fixed with a few donations in a short amount of time.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THe (Democrat) mayor of New Orleans taking every chance to bash "the feds" for "doing nothing" is not helping either.

For starters, it's not being handled well, but to say that FEMA and the National Guard are not doing anything is pretty crass.

Though the mayor's lapsing into laughable ebomics makes him pretty easy to ignore (even when he does have a point).

Also, a lot of the displaced will not return to their former homes/jobs/lives- that will make finding a job in the cities hosting refugees nigh impossible.

[ September 03, 2005, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Bussing survivors out of the area is probably the best option at this point."

Indeed it is. Maybe they shouldn't have stopped doing so.

"...a disaster area that will soon become a festering sea of disease and pestilence."

Your use of the future tense seems inappropriate.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yeah, I've seen those Mardi Gras videos: it was always that way.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know they shot a "Girls Gone Wild" in New Orleans

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My god, this IS a national crisis!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

A crisis of epic scale- where....WHERE can college girls perform acts of debautchery in exchange for cheap glass beads now?

Wont someone think of the children!?!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They will do what they like, as is their won't.

I wonder how long it will take for Bush to get down there. Jackson is there now. No matter how much of it is political and what is genuine, he's doing good by "showing up".

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Er...how exactly?

Bush was (aparantly) there yesterday at some point- he made some brief news blurb while getting on a helicopter to survey the damage.

It's not as though it's safe for the President to go in there now anyway- relief choppers bringing food and water are still being shot at (why is incomprehensible to me).

It sounds really harsh, but why is everyone acting like such fucktards there? It's worse than after Hurricane Andrew because the flooding, but (with some exceptions) people really pulled together after much of Miami and Homestead were leveled.

Of course, we had the National Guard on the spot the same day to stop looting...but still.
From a south Florida perspective, It's tough not to angry a some of the people causing trouble (looting, shooting etc.).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what happened when Bush visited the area? They set up a fake food distribution center for him to be photographed in front of, then tore it down after he left. They also set up a fake levee-repair effort for him to be photographed in front of, then took all the equipment away after he left. And the whole time they were carrying out this pretend relief effort for the cameras? All helicopter flights in the area were banned for the dureation of Bush's visit. Food and supplies were left sitting in trucks at the airport, ready to be loaded into helicopters and taken to the refugees, but they weren't allowed to, for no other reason than Bush's presence.

If finally figured out why Bush does the things he does. Repealing environmental laws, starting wars, now this. He obviously derives some sort of sexual pleasure from seeing human suffering and death.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Nice.

Gotta love our C in C!
Millions of people voted for, and still think he's doing a great job.

Where did you hear the photo-ops were faked?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps