Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Future of New Orleans (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The Future of New Orleans
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some Viridian-style thinking re the reconstruction: http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/003425.html

I haven't read it yet, though.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Top 10 by 2010 vision was simple: dramatically raise the city's profile as a successful, special, and wonderful place to live, such that it would begin to make "Top 10" lists in the US by the year 2010. The strategy was also simple: to actually make the city a more successful, special and wonderful place, so that more businesses, families, and tourists would come.
Sounds like he's promoting Disneyland.

I'd prefer a return to the "Big Sleezy" party town that was a mecca for new music talent, horney horney party goers and spicy cajun food.
To me, those things made it "special and wonderful" (or at least flavorful and uique), but it's doubtful city planners will agree.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fake photo-op stuff showed up all over the political weblogs (well, the leftist ones, anyway) the other day. The fake food distribution was apparently reported on German television, and the fake levee work was pointed out by Senator Landrieu.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er....I'd have to see confirmation on that food distribution thing.
...and I;d like to hear about the levy thing from someone other than a democrat.

Just so no one can say "it's partisan sniping", of course.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
What is the U.S. supposed to do? Set off a nuke in Nawlens to dry it all up? People are angry, but they expect INSTANT response. They don't have a clue about the logistics involved in such a massive operation.

You can mobilise an Army to invade/enter other countries, Afgahnistan, Kuwait, Iraq, Kosovo/serbia, Somalia - but you can't send in an army to protect one of your own cities? "Category 5 Cyclone/hurricane" should have been enough warning to KNOW that the shit was gonna be beaten out of that part of the country and troops/guard/helicopters/planes etc should have been on standby.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Shoulda, woulda, coulda is too late.

Now it's a big ckusterfuck and a lot of people are homeless, a city is ruined and may not ever be completely rebuilt.

On the plus side, I understand that bacteria are benifiting from all this quite nicely.
they're my little friends.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you say hello to them every morning, too?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Nope- they're always with me: in my mouth, my guts, you name it.
They're very loyal.

I think I'll leave them my body when I die: sort of a going away feast for my pals.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Shoulda, woulda, coulda is too late.

I'm not DEFENDING the inactions of the US government! Gah! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It SHOULDA been enough warning for people to LEAVE the area too, but we see how well that happened. It reminds me of the people that lived around Mt. Saint Helens that refused to leave when they were warned that an eruption was imminent. "AH, I've lived here all my life and nuttin' ain't happened". A short time later that philosophy was quickly incinerated.

NOBODY was prepared for this disaster. FEMA obviously does not have the planning, personnel, or resources to effectively deal with a truly catastrophic event.

What pisses me off more, is that we can't get food, water, & help there, but we can sure get a bunch of idiot news reporters in. Yeah, THAT'S really helping things.

BTW... Did anyone else see the report about the group of gay people getting together and having their "Decadence Parade" in New Orleans today? One of the people they interviewed said "Hey, this is New Orleans and we are going to party anyway!".

happiest fag in america

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It SHOULDA been enough warning for people to LEAVE the area too, but we see how well that happened. It reminds me of the people that lived around Mt. Saint Helens that refused to leave when they were warned that an eruption was imminent. 'AH, I've lived here all my life and nuttin' ain't happened'. A short time later that philosophy was quickly incinerated."

See, I thought the same thing at first, too. Except, as it turns out, when they order a "mandatory evacuation" of a city, they don't actually evacuate people. Granted, there were surely some people who could have gotten out who chose not to. But, all the people who didn't have any transportation, all the people who were sick or feeble, including those who were in the hospitals... They were all left behind.

"NOBODY was prepared for this disaster."

They should have been, though. That's the thing. The feds are standing around saying "Oh, man, a hurricane hit, and the levees broke? Who could have possibly imagined that would ever happen?" Only EVERYONE, fuckwits.

"What pisses me off more, is that we can't get food, water, & help there, but we can sure get a bunch of idiot news reporters in. Yeah, THAT'S really helping things."

Well, the reporters are helping. They're making sure the public knows wat a complete and total clusterfuck this whole thing is. Otherwise, the government would just be saying "oh, yeah, everything's A-okay, hunky-dory, yep", and we wouldn't know any better.

As for why we can't get help there... It's because FEMA won't let them in.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brad DeLong writes:

quote:
Kevin Drum Is Shrill

He writes:

quote:
The Washington Monthly: BUSH AND KATRINA.... For what it's worth, I'd like to make absolutely clear why I hold George Bush accountable for the federal response to Hurricane Katrina.... I don't blame him for being on vacation... for a certain amount of chaos in the initial response... for rolling FEMA into the Department of Homeland Security... for focusing more on terrorism than on natural disasters. That was a natural reaction to 9/11. Nor do I think that Bush doesn't care about natural disasters....

Rather, what happened was a series of decisions... that taken together made Katrina more damaging than it had to be.... These decisions were deliberate and disastrous, and that's why I think Bush deserves a large part of the blame for what happened....

January 2001: Bush appoints Joe Allbaugh, a crony from Texas, as head of FEMA. Allbaugh has no previous experience in disaster management.

April 2001: Budget Director Mitch Daniels announces the Bush administration's goal of privatizing much of FEMA's work. In May, Allbaugh confirms that FEMA will be downsized: "Many are concerned that federal disaster assistance may have evolved into both an oversized entitlement program...." he said. "Expectations of when the federal government should be involved and the degree of involvement may have ballooned beyond what is an appropriate level."

2001: FEMA designates a major hurricane hitting New Orleans as one of the three "likeliest, most catastrophic disasters facing this country."

December 2002: After less than two years at FEMA, Allbaugh announces he is leaving to start up a consulting firm that advises companies seeking to do business in Iraq. He is succeeded by his deputy and former college roommate, Michael Brown, who has no previous experience in disaster management and was fired from his previous job for mismanagement.

March 2003: FEMA is downgraded from a cabinet level position and folded into the Department of Homeland Security. Its mission is refocused on fighting acts of terrorism.

2003: Under its new organization chart within DHS, FEMA's preparation and planning functions are reassigned to a new Office of Preparedness and Response. FEMA will henceforth focus only on response and recovery.

Summer 2004: FEMA denies Louisiana's pre-disaster mitigation funding requests. Says Jefferson Parish flood zone manager Tom Rodrigue: "You would think we would get maximum consideration....This is what the grant program called for. We were more than qualified for it."

June 2004: The Army Corps of Engineers budget for levee construction in New Orleans is slashed. Jefferson Parish emergency management chiefs Walter Maestri comments: "It appears that the money has been moved in the president's budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that's the price we pay."

June 2005: Funding for the New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is cut by a record $71.2 million. One of the hardest-hit areas is the Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project, which was created after the May 1995 flood to improve drainage in Jefferson, Orleans and St. Tammany parishes.

August 2005: While New Orleans is undergoing a slow motion catastrophe, Bush mugs for the cameras, cuts a cake for John McCain, plays the guitar for Mark Wills, delivers an address about V-J day, and continues with his vacation. When he finally gets around to acknowledging the scope of the unfolding disaster, he delivers only a photo op on Air Force One and a flat, defensive, laundry list speech in the Rose Garden.

So: A crony with no relevant experience was installed as head of FEMA. Mitigation budgets for New Orleans were slashed even though it was known to be one of the top three risks in the country. FEMA was deliberately downsized as part of the Bush administration's conservative agenda to reduce the role of government. After DHS was created, FEMA's preparation and planning functions were taken away.

Actions have consequences. No one could predict that a hurricane the size of Katrina would hit this year, but the slow federal response when it did happen was no accident. It was the result of four years of deliberate Republican policy and budget choices that favor ideology and partisan loyalty at the expense of operational competence. It's the Bush administration in a nutshell.

Impeach George W. Bush. Impeach him now.
----

quote:
Dealing With Political Disaster

By Dan Froomkin
Special to washingtonpost.com
Tuesday, September 6, 2005; 1:21 PM

President Bush somehow missed the significance of what was happening on the Gulf Coast last week as he and his political guru, Karl Rove, flitted between Texas and California and, finally, Washington.

But now, facing what is clearly a full-scale political disaster, Rove and a handful of other masterful political operatives have gone into overdrive. They are back in campaign mode.

This campaign is to salvage Bush's reputation.

Like previous Rove operations, it calls for multiple appearances by the president in controlled environments in which he can appear leader-like. It calls for extensive use of Air Force One and a massive deployment of spinners.

It doesn't necessarily include any change in policy. It certainly doesn't include any admission of error.

It utilizes the classic Rovian tactic of attacking critics rather than defending against their criticism -- and of throwing up chaff to muddle the issue and throw the press off the scent.

It calls for public expressions of outrage over the politicization of the issue and of those who would play the "blame game." While at the same time, it is utterly political in nature and heavily reliant on shifting the blame elsewhere.

But in some ways, this post-Katrina campaign poses Bush's aides with unprecedented challenges.

The problem -- an achingly slow federal response to what has turned out to be one of the greatest natural disasters this country has ever faced -- can be traced at least in part to one of the Bush White House's most defining characteristics: The protective bubble within which the president operates.

Bush's aides intentionally keep him mentally and physically aloof from any ugliness -- political or otherwise. It lets them keep tight control over the presidential imagery and stay on message.

But inside his bubble, Bush first failed to recognize what was becoming clear to almost anyone watching the news: That Americans needed help. And in his two meticulously staged visits to the Gulf Coast on Friday and Monday, it is precisely because Bush was kept so far away from dissension or mess that he appeared so out of touch.

He cracked jokes on Friday, including one about his drinking days in New Orleans, but has yet to confront the true horror of the situation so widely seen on TV. He has yet to acknowledge the disgrace of a major American city being rendered uninhabitable on his watch. He has yet to come face to face with people left to suffer for days in hellish conditions and explain to them why their government failed them. And he has yet to demonstrate the strength that Americans require from their president in a time of crisis.

This crisis finds the president looking impotent at best, incompetent at worst. And there is an element of whining to Bush's refusal to shoulder his responsibility -- especially should the press continue to make it clear how intensely he and his top aides are trying to pass the buck.

The men behind Bush's bubble are clearly hoping that their tried and true methods will serve them well yet again and that over time, Bush's reputation will recover.

But with every body removed from the attics of New Orleans over the coming weeks, America will remember the colossal failure of government to protect its people.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"What pisses me off more, is that we can't get food, water, & help there, but we can sure get a bunch of idiot news reporters in. Yeah, THAT'S really helping things."

Well, the reporters are helping. They're making sure the public knows wat a complete and total clusterfuck this whole thing is. Otherwise, the government would just be saying "oh, yeah, everything's A-okay, hunky-dory, yep", and we wouldn't know any better.

Well, for every good-heated celebrity doing work, there are seven fucktards like Oprah, Dr. Phil, Jesse Jackson and that dork that said "Bush does not care about black people" (as though that is why it'sa clusterfuck situation).

Sadly, this week -I've been borged out in hospital the past four days- watching nothing but amazing human intrest pieces about people helping total strangers from as far away as Utah, only to turn on BBC and see that the rest of the world is only reporting on scandal, deaths, floating bodies, disease and the few morons too stupid to leave their sewer soaked homes.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious about what evidence there is that he does.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

None that I've ever seen, really.
Just some new "star" running off at the mouth for that camera and a handy soundbyte.

That's not to say he cares about the poor, or anythig like that, of course- just that it's an indiscriminate uncaring attitude, not a racist one. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps