Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Prisoner Abuse (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Prisoner Abuse
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"No" would be my answer.

If there is such evidence, let's see it- if they're US soldiers in the pics someone will ID them in short order.
The Italian government is no fan of the Bush administration, so there's no reason to conceal this "evidence" and there are uncountable people/news organizations that would run with any such story any day of the week- particularly now that Bush's popularity is at an all time low- and it would kill any chance Cheney has at exempting foreign combatants from the Geneva Conventions.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, how about the US Army? Are they credible?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty damning stuff, but not the widespread WP attacks that have been used in the past -Soviets here- I'm talking about ton bombs with "sprayer" attachments to cover entire acres.
Still, someone made a baaad decision and (with proof of non-combatant deaths) should be prosecuted- or at least exposed by the press.

You know- the supposedly liberal press that only reports the bad stuff.

Of course, that magazine's sourse will need to be verified as well.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, how about the US Army? Are they credible?

Not in my books but I will take their word on this as it is corroborated by the Islam Online website and Italian State TV.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zing!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

So: I was wrong.
The Pentagon has now confirmed use of White Phosphorus "against violent insurgents" in Faluja(sp?). No word on civillian casualties from it...yet.

Fuuuuck.

Every time I say "no way we'd cross that line", I'm proven wrong by the most despicible administration in my lifetime.

This might well be the moment where history says "there was no justification for what they did- they went too far".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
White Phosphorous? Never heard of it being used in warfare. What does it do? burn the skin or cause horrible breathing problems? meh. While they're at it they might as well release a huge cloud of mustard gas too.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It not only burns- it burns white hot and cant be extinguished.
It burns underwater.

It's fumes permanantly sear the lungs and it's been known to contaminate water supplies.

Baaad shit.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Basically, it melts people. People who are alive. You know, until they've melted.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool! Gotta get me some of that! There's a few people I wouldn't mind turning into puddles of flaming goo.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think in the first book by "Andy McNab", in the last firefight before the team gets captured, one of McNab's teammates takes a hit to one of the phosphor grenades in his belt, setting him on fire. Horrible way to go.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have a link to this proclamation by the Pentagon?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4440664.stm

The thing is, the Pentagon said before admitting this that they hadn't even used the white phosphorous on combatants, only for "illumniation." In other words, the Pentagon--gasp!--lied.

Other than brief mentions in newspapers and online, there was nothing on this in the U.S. media. Nothing.

--------------------
Meh

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I say "no way we'd cross that line"...

You're reminded of all the previous times you said that, and wonder why you still keep telling yourself these sick amoral fucks must have some measure of decency left in them?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Call it a last gasp of blind patriotism: I really want my fellow americans- and elected officials- to have the common decency I even I possess.

I first joined Anmesty International as part of a petition to the UN to ban White Phosphorus (this was waaaaay back in high school).

Back when I still believed people's will could occasionally be heard via petitions, E-Mails and letters.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps