Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » No Abortion in South Dakota! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: No Abortion in South Dakota!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pon reading furthrer into this particlar leglislation, it's clear it's only a tool to force the Supreme court to re-open the Roe vs. Wade decision (something they've successfully dodged for years).
Why else would they specify that NO abortion can be performed unless the woman's life in in immeadeate danger and go so far as to specify that rape or incest (regardless of age!) are NOT reasons to allow an abortion?
It's designed to be as inflamatory as possible so the high court cant duck hearing arguments on it, and the Right feel that with the court's new makeup, they have a real chance of overturning Roe vs. Wade.

Really, I cant imagine anyone being so sactimonous as to tell a raped woman she must bear her attacker's child (and be legally/financially liable for the child too!).

It's despicable...inhuman politicking with desperate people's lives.
quote:
should we allow the abortion of those who have already been born?
Yes: starting in South Dakota.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zefram:
[QUOTE]there are always various forms of birth control prior to conception

Not according to Bush there ain't. There's just one - abstinence, and if you don't like it you can kiss goodbye your funds for AIDS research.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're not insinuating that this bill was passed without throughly researching how it could possibly be upheld?
After all, it's not a ban on pre-marital sex, only on those slutty women getting knocked up and shirking their God-given responsibilities.

Little factoid: South Dakota is in the top ten states for not prosecuting deadbeat dads (fathers not paying child support).
Funny how that is not addressed by this legislation....after all, how else is a woman supposed to raise an uunwanted child?

Mabye she can just work a second job to pay for her "mistake" in getting pregnant.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Republicans are awfully proud of their "No Child Left Behind" party line. Let's see them put their money where their mouths are, and continue to support those unplanned infants after they're born.

Adoption is not always an option. I've known fifteen-year-olds who don't want to give their banies up -- but know they can't support them -- end up committing suicide out of a combination of guilt and post-partum depression. \

It would be nice if the Right didn't focus so narrowly on just those nine months in question. I would argue it's far more irresponsible to force a child to be born into an unsuporting environment. If we want these children to not grow up into emotional or mental cripples, we need to continue to care about what happens to them up until age eighteen.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Really, I cant imagine anyone being so sactimonous as to tell a raped woman she must bear her attacker's child (and be legally/financially liable for the child too!).
I do believe that, like cases where a mother's life is in danger, cases of incest and rape may justify an abortion.

quote:
quote:
there are always various forms of birth control prior to conception

Not according to Bush there ain't. There's just one - abstinence
It is the only 100% effective way to avoid pregnancy as well as AIDS. You can't argue too much with the results.

quote:
Little factoid: South Dakota is in the top ten states for not prosecuting deadbeat dads (fathers not paying child support).
I am in complete agreement that deadbeat dads should be prosecuted. The father is at least 50% responsible and should face up to his responsibility.

quote:
Adoption is not always an option. I've known fifteen-year-olds who don't want to give their banies up -- but know they can't support them -- end up committing suicide out of a combination of guilt and post-partum depression.
Studies have shown that abortion can also have a negative psychological impact on the mother. Surveys performed for a paper entitled The Psychosocial Outcome of Induced Abortion submitted to the British Journal of Ob&Gyn found that within 8 weeks after having an abortion, 55% expressed guilt, 44% complained of nervous disorders, 36% had experienced sleep disturbances, 31% had regrets about their decision, and 11% had been prescribed psychotropic medicine by their family doctor. Another study presented in the American Journal of psychiatry of 500 women who had had abortions found that 50 percent expressed negative feelings, and up to 10 percent were classified as having developed "serious psychiatric complications."

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
quote:
I do believe that, like cases where a mother's life is in danger, cases of incest and rape may justify an abortion.

Well, that's nice for you, but the law specifically says the rape victim is legally bound to carry the child to term.

I shudder to even consider what psychological effect that would have on a woman.
A bigger "fuck you" to a victim is tough to imagine.

Aborting her new "gift" would land her in prison for five years- mandatory.

Really, I think men should be excluded from voting on abortion rights completely- if the numbers are really in the favor of the pro-life camp, at least it will be women deciding what to do with their own bodies- not well-funded, mostly while men with the bible in one hand and a ton of issues with women's rights in the other.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree wholeheartedly, Jason.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I had not intention of bringing the Bible into this since it's futile to try to defend your position using a text that not all the arguing parties agree on as an authoratative source."

Well, if you're not arguing on a scientific basis, and you're not arguing on a religious basis, exactly where are you coming from on this?

"I honestly can't find any scripture that supports this statement..."

Exodus 21:12-22. The punishment for murder is death. In fact, the punishment for such lesser offenses as kidnapping or violence/invective toward ones parents is death. Yet, the punishment for causing an abortion, even against the woman's will, is merely a fine. Clearly, if the fetus were a full-fledged person, with all the rights and privileges thereof, the punishment for killing it should be at least the same as what you get for swearing at your parents.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I haven't participated in this thread as yet, but I'd just like to point this out:

http://bible.cc/exodus/21-22.htm

The verse is unclear in most translations as to whether the child is in fact dead, or just premature. In fact, taking the next verse into account, it can be read to say that if the child DOES die, you are to take life for life. And Jeremiah references God knowing him in the womb, so it is certainly arguable scripturally that unborn children are in fact people.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'm more intrested in where Omega the voter stands than in what a book that , by law, should have zero bearing on the issue.

Obviously you'd have reservations on the topic, but the particulars of this law should shock and offend everyone....

Your opinion, sir, if you please.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abortion for the sake of convenience should not be legal. End of opinion.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:

so it's ok to breed like fucking rabbits, then Omega, dear? you hear people bitch and moan about lack of jobs and shit. did you think if we responbily control our populations so things like that would be less a issue.... to society, as a whole?

go shove that bible up your... No. i'm gonna do that. Name calling doesn't do shit...

Omega
Member # 91

This is why I wasn't participating in this thread. Tim posted an opinion on scripture that is easily debatable, and I wanted to make sure that if one interpretation was mentioned, both were. Someone immediately jumps on me and demands my opinion on the subject at large, for no apparent reason. I post a very simple statement, upon which someone ELSE jumps on me, accuses me of saying things I never said, and personally insults me. (While pretending to display restraint in not insulting me, which, I might add, is totally ineffectual when we all know you could have edited the comment out entirely before posting.)

Whatever civil debate might have previously existed at these forums is gone. This mockery of discourse is a perfect example of why nothing ever gets solved any more. Everyone claims objectivity, and just restates their own opinion over and over, louder and louder. Perhaps if you would try TALKING to people, you might learn something. And perhaps something might get solved, instead of it being kicked around for thirty years with everyone getting more and more angry about it.

We don't have to come together and find some sort of middle ground. We can be left disagreeing at the end of the day and still survive as a culture. But if people don't learn to communicate instead of just talking at each other, everyone is screwed.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is why I wasn't participating in this thread. Tim posted an opinion on scripture that is easily debatable, and I wanted to make sure that if one interpretation was mentioned, both were. Someone immediately jumps on me and demands my opinion on the subject at large, for no apparent reason. I post a very simple statement, upon which someone ELSE jumps on me, accuses me of saying things I never said, and personally insults me. (While pretending to display restraint in not insulting me, which, I might add, is totally ineffectual when we all know you could have edited the comment out entirely before posting.)

Whatever civil debate might have previously existed at these forums is gone. This mockery of discourse is a perfect example of why nothing ever gets solved any more. Everyone claims objectivity, and just restates their own opinion over and over, louder and louder. Perhaps if you would try TALKING to people, you might learn something. And perhaps something might get solved, instead of it being kicked around for thirty years with everyone getting more and more angry about it.

We don't have to come together and find some sort of middle ground. We can be left disagreeing at the end of the day and still survive as a culture. But if people don't learn to communicate instead of just talking at each other, everyone is screwed.

Irresponcible breeding, i.e. Happy fucking, is bad.

Limiting the ability to correct that, since Abstinance doesn't work, is also bad.

Yet the very act of that ability, Abortion, is also bad.

[Frown]

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm with Omega on this one.

Abortion isn't the way we as a society should be controlling our population. If you fuck and have a baby. LIVE WITH IT! It's no ones fault but yours and definately not the childs fault he or she was conceived. Abortion should only be considered if the pregancy puts the mother's life in danger. You all know I'm in no way religious. And I'm not a hardcore, doctor killing, pro-lifer, but abortion just discusts me.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps