Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Adam and Eve? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Adam and Eve?
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No to everything.

It's Sunday, so I can't ask, but a version of that could be true. Although, it would be a "positive" one. Genesis was most likely told orally for many years and written down later, but if you're are familiar with the "Myth/Anti-Myth" statement you would know how different Genesis is from anything else.

Elements of Genesis are so different than other ancient, Near Eastern Creation stories that it is foolish to think the Hebrews created there own story.
The Genesis account emphasized one God, unlike other Creation stories of it's time.

------------------
It's all about the Pentiums, Baby!
"I'm down with Bill Gates, I call him Money for short
I phone him up at home and I make him do my tech support"

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Qabalah.

------------------
"If you will not have me as myself, Perhaps as someone else. Perhaps as you, I'll be worth noticing. Then even a eunuch won't resist, The power of one kiss, from such as me.
I'll be that girl: and you would be right over. If I were a field, you would be in clover. If I were the sun, you would be in shadow. If I had a gun, there'd be no tomorrow."
~ Barenaked Ladies

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bless you.

------------------
"Recombination, then Viacom; Safeway."
--
Soul Coughing

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Makes note to look up pre-Judaic monotheistic religions once he gets back to work*

Bet there were.

------------------
"We shall not yield to you, nor to any man." -- Freak, The Mighty.

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's easy, Aten (or Aton) the Sun god. As I remember the step-parents (or something like that) of King Tut (Akhenaton and Nefertiti) decided that the Sun god Aten was the only god, well basically to strip the temples of there wealth and give it to the son of the sun god (who just happened to be the pharaoh of course). His subjects didn't like that and kind of overthrew him and they returned to there polytheistic roots.

A here is a link that reminded me a little on the info http://verdenet.com/isis/Akhenaton.htm

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

[This message has been edited by HMS White Star (edited September 14, 1999).]

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bryce: That's what I've been taught in Catholic school all along. The writers of Genesis had no concept of "historical accuracy" as we do today, and what Genesis says is that humans have value and are born good, which is a contradictory belief to other cultures of its time.

------------------
"I told you. You're dead. This is the afterlife. And I'm God."
--Q to Picard, "Tapestry".

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh? Whuzzat?

If people are "born good," whence cometh the Catholic Doctrine of Original Sin, and the belief that unbaptized children end up in Hell?

------------------

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good question there is really 2 options which I believe are allowed by the Catholic Church 1.) is that they go to heaven period (which is my personal belief) 2. They go to place call Limbo which is place of eternal happiness, but that's not heaven (errr that teaching is kind of confusing but that is the offical teaching) While option 2 is the offical teaching, it is not a requiered to be believed by members of the Catholic Church. Of course the reason I know this and a 13 years of Catholic Education and the ability to ask them all sorts of annoying questions. He He what a waste of a good education.

Tora a question, exactly which catholic school did you/ do you go to? The only reason I ask is that I attended an annoying Catholic School (6 years of wearing a tie) and would like to know what you thought of it.

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I'm just saying that that's NOT what they teach at the local catholic school here. I know because I'm dating an alumni, who also has nieces and nephews who attend it.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps