Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "Halloween is evil!" (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: "Halloween is evil!"
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, First. It's hard to explain myself when I don't know what I am talking about.

------------------
With 17 hours of class, guess what I'm doing.

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the Irish for November is
Mi na Shamhnna, meaning the Month of Samhainn.

Of course, December is Mi na Nollaig, the Month of Christmas.

And as for Hallowe'en being evil and satanic, nowadays over here it passes with nary a whimper. A few kids turn up in bin-liners with crappy plastic masks and play a song or sing for a bit, and they'd consider it a priviledge to get more than 50p per house.

It's only been lately that they've dared make the dreaded "Trick or treat" implied threat commonplace.

And Happy Birthday, First of Two.
Knock yourself daft.

------------------
"So, no room for Bender, huh? Well I'll build my own lunar lander, with blackjack, and hookers.
In fact, who needs a lander, or blackjack?
Ah, screw the whole lot o' ya!"
-- Bender, Futurama.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admit I don't know exact stats, but I'll bet money there is more crime on Holloween night then any other holiday. At least in the US. Detroit , and a few other cities burn for days around holloween. I don't think it's anything Demonic, but a bunch of punk@$$ kids like to get wild and burn S*** up over this holiday. Plus there are people who razor apples and other things to the point where, if I had a kid, it wouldn't be doing any trick or treeting. The town of Belle limits it to one hour, then throws a party at town hall, which I think is the best thing to do on that night.

I think I stopped likeing Holloween when I started driveing, and had to move trees out of the road, because some dumb@$$ kid that lives on the same hollow(space between two mountains) that I live on, thought it would be funny to block the road.

------------------
"One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor". George Carlin

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kosh: Is it pronounced "holler" in your neck of the woods? And is "Cow Tipping" a common practice at Halloween?

As far as the razor blades and poisioned candy, I offer the following links:

Pins and Needles

Halloween Poisonings

Neither poisonings nor foreign objects in Halloween treats are very common. If you're not certain about something, don't eat it.

--Baloo

------------------
A well-intentioned fool can get into more trouble than any number of rapscallions.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Someone posted a link a while back to an Urban Legends site which asserted that the only actual CONFIRMED 'razor in apple' incidents (2 or 3, I believe) ended up being perpetrated by the "victims" themselves, or in one case by the victim's OWN adult. Same goes for other "candy-tampering" incidents. (And BESIDES, if your kid trick-or-treats, you should be WITH them, or else you're an irresponsible parent.)

If you're talking more "petty" crime, yes, probably more takes place on Halloween. But actual serious crime? I doubt it. More probably takes place after school sporting events on weekends. (After all, statistics also show more wives are beaten during televised football games...)

I thought that Detroit's "Devil's Night" was the night BEFORE Halloween. In any case, you could point to it as an associated phenomenon, but not one caused by the existence of Halloween. That, in effect, is like blaming the Internet for the Columbine shootings.

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have to go with the news on this one 1of2.
To many reports and to many cops on TV warning people to check their kids candy. One web site claiming it was all a hoax will not convince me. Detroit's fire problems start before Holloween and continue up to it.

Baloo: Yep, it holler, I'd have said that, but I didn't think anyone would understand.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...it isn't a "hoax", it's an urban legend. I suppose we should worry about scary men with hooks too?

------------------
"Quadrilateral I was, now I warp like a smile."
--
Soul Coughing

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse me, but I think I'd rather believe someone who's done the legwork to determine the facts than the overworked minion of a news service who's trying sell commercial slots on the evening news. A lot of these things are gray-headed old beasts that are dusted off and trotted out on Halloween. I have never seen a single report of sharp objects in candy, and the reports of poisoned treats tend to fall into the category of someone who tried it because they thought the blame would fall on someone else because the cops must be swamped by all those other (bogus) reports.

Just because you hear warnings doesn't mean it isn't chicken little. I'd be more worried about creepy neighbors and strangers.

--Baloo

------------------
A well-intentioned fool can get into more trouble than any number of rapscallions.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Lexington, KY Area Humanes Society is not allowing people to adopt black cats from now until after Halloween so they are not sacrificed in Satanic rituals. Saw it last night.

------------------
With 17 hours of class, guess what I'm doing.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

I have creepy neighbors.
Strangers have to run the dog gauntlet before they get to anything valueble. Between us and the creepy neighbors, there are:
Two Doby's
One Brendal Bull
One Rotwieler
Two fat white and brown dogs of unknown breed.
They are all harmless and friendly, but they luv to bark.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited October 21, 1999).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ROTFL @ Lexington, KY*

Gullible loonies.
"What fools these mortals be!"

Of course, it makes a kind of twisted sense.. most of the people who pretend to be "Satanists" and "sacrifice" cats (black or otherwise, whether its on Halloween or not) ARE moronic redneck types... but they're generally easy enough to identify. 'd be easier just to say that nobody who lives in a trailer or public housing or has a truck in their front yard can buy a cat. In which case, the morons will just find some other animal. Cats aren't special, except that some people think they're witches' "familiars" (except everybody knows you DON'T kill your familiar!)

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

An UNfamiliar on the other hand...?

------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we had no Halloween, then I would have one day less out of the year to wear my Starfleet admiral's uniform.

------------------
"All you people, can't you see, can't you see
How your love's affecting our reality
Everytime we're down
You can make it right
And that makes you larger than life"

-Backstreet Boys

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael: My sentiments exactly.

I don't know if there are more petty crimes during Halloween, but the largest number of SUICIDES happen around Christmas.

------------------
--Then, said Cranly, do you not intend to become a protestant?
--I said that I had lost the faith, Stephen answered, but not that I had lost self-respect. What kind of liberation would that be to forsake an absurdity which is logical and coherent and to embrace one which is illogical and incoherent?

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think that's just a myth (about the suicides).

------------------
Frank's Home Page
Noah Adams: "Well, some of them are really quite understandable. 'Montana is a leg.' is..."
John Linnell: "...it's grammatical. It's not true, and it doesn't strictly make sense, and..."

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps