Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Now that Camapign 2000 is upon us... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Now that Camapign 2000 is upon us...
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xentrick, that reminds me of The Simpsons episode "Treehouse of Horror VII".

Kodos: I am Clin-Ton. As overlord, all will kneel trembling before me and obey my brutal commands. End communication.

~~

Kent: Senator Dole, why should people vote for you instead of President Clinton?

Kang: It makes no difference which one of us you vote for. Either way, your planet is doomed. DOOMED!

~~

Kang: Fooling these Earth voters is easier than expected.

Kodos: Yes. All they want to hear are bland pleasantries embellished by an occasional saxophone solo or infant kiss.

George Stephanopoulos: Uh, Mr. President, Sir. People are becoming a bit... confused by the way your and your opponent are, well, constantly holding hands.

Kang: We are merely exchanging long protein strings. If you can think of a simpler way, I'd like to hear it.

------------------
What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?
~C. Mongomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited October 14, 1999).]

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Kodos: I am Clin-Ton. As overlord, all will kneel trembling before me and obey my brutal commands. End communication.

Hmm, foreshadowing?

------------------
Avon: "You really do believe in taking risks, don't you?"
Tarrant: "Calculated risks."
Avon: "Calculated on what? Your fingers?"
-- Blake's Seven, Ultraworld

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanna say that the First of Two for Dictator in 2008 capaign is still going strong and gathering momentum.

I suppose its time for a few new campaign promises.

If I am elected, Omega will never become president. We'll be deporting all the young-earth creationists to Iran.

I'll be investing heavily in a mission to land a manned mision on Mars by 2025.

HMO'S will be forbidden to deny treatments which are submitted as medically necessary by two or more doctors.

"Comparative Religion" courses will be promoted in public schools. No bias may be shown. Special attention will be given to the "Ideals vs. Actions" Unit. (this should scare a few Fundies)

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Future Dictator First a few questions please,

"HMO'S will be forbidden to deny treatments which are submitted as medically necessary by two or more
doctors."

If 2 doctors say the treatment for thoses with a fear of crowds is the purchase of automatic weapons .

------------------
Step 1: Become a senior member,
Step 2: ?,
Step 3: Global Domination

[This message has been edited by HMS White Star (edited October 16, 1999).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you were elected, I'd move to Iran voluntarily. : )

Here's an idea for some fun. How about an election? We could have a nice little presidential race right here. You up for it, 1 'o 2?

------------------
"I consider the foundation of the Constitution as laid on this ground: That "all powers not delegated to the United States, by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States or to the people . . ." To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition."
- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1791

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh! That's a nifty idea, actually.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Don't worry; in Season Two we abandon it for 'I Am A Sock-Puppet!'" - Bob Skir

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds interesting. Perhaps even... fun.

Should probably set some ground rules, though. Issues, Debates, who gets to ask the questions, and so forth.
(Let's put that Moderator to work Moderatin' already!)

Who wants to be a spin doctor?
How about a Forum Political Commentator?

I love political interpreters after speeches... "What Candidate Bush MEANT when he said 'I don't think anybody who doesn't believe in God should be considered a citizen' was..."

The only problem is that this could lead to "camps" developing, and the Forum really doesn't need that. So we'd have to set rules on that, too. Maybe somebody can drag out my old post on keeping fights civil?

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here are my suggestions. All titles (as well as everything else here) are just that: suggestions.

As for the process for choosing the Supreme Impartial Arbitor, if all cantidates agree on one person, and that person is willing, then that person shall become Arbitor. Said arbitor shall tally up the votes, decide whether questions are irrelevant or not, set details (like how long the election lasts, when all votes are considered in, etc.), and to appoint media positions, such as Grand Inquisitor.

I nominate Charles Capps as Supreme Impartial Arbitor.

NO spindoctors or advisors within the Forums. We don't have a big enough voting population to divvy up into camps. Advisors in the real world are OK.

No irrelevant questions about things like previous drug use. : )

This is a debate over national politics, and an election for the office of President of the United States. Just making sure we're clear on everything.

Other people are allowed to run if they so choose.

No taking campaign money from the Chinese in exchange for Forum nuclear secrets. : )

As for format, I'd suggest that this election take on the form of multiple threads in various portions of the Community Forums, with the main thread in "Forum Contests".

Of course, if Charles is agreed upon as nominee, and he accepts the position, he gets to make all decisions, regardless of what we agree upon! : )

Oh, and a final suggestion for prize if elected: the official (but, of course, meaningless) title of "President of the Flare Forums". I'd also like my status kicked up to Senior Member if I win (if possible, of course, and assuming I haven't reached that status by then).

Any disagreements or other suggestions, 1of2?

------------------
"I consider the foundation of the Constitution as laid on this ground: That "all powers not delegated to the United States, by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States or to the people . . ." To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nuclear secrets? Screw that! We've got the original designs for the Genesis Device locked up in the Behaviour Vault. We've got Strong Force disruptors, we've got Gluon Manipulators, we've got relativistic bombs, nanomech assassins, and cyborg H-K's. We've got knives, rocks, and sharpened sticks!

*ahem*

------------------
"Quadrilateral I was, now I warp like a smile."
--
Soul Coughing

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, I can write a Perl script to automate the voting.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Don't worry; in Season Two we abandon it for 'I Am A Sock-Puppet!'" - Bob Skir

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

"As for the process for choosing the Supreme Impartial Arbitor, if all cantidates agreeon one person, and that person is willing, then that person shall become Arbitor. Saidarbitor shall tally up the votes, decide whether questions are irrelevant or not, set details (like how long the election lasts, when all votes are considered in, etc.), and to appoint media positions, such as Grand Inquisitor.

I nominate Charles Capps as Supreme Impartial Arbitor."

Agreed, provided he's not too busy. Otherwise, I nominate Tom, as he IS the moderator here.

"NO spindoctors or advisors within the Forums. We don't have a big enough voting population to divvy up into camps. Advisors in the real world are OK."

All right. But if you don't think a population this small can divide into camps... where did you go to school?

"No irrelevant questions about things like previous drug use. : )"

Well, I, for one, think character questions ARE important, one of the reasons I'm voting "none of the above" in the real world. And my drug experience doesn't go farther than alcohol. For the record.

"This is a debate over national politics, and an election for the office of President of the United States. Just making sure we're clear on everything."

Okay, so real issues. No "Who would you pick as First Lady?" questions.

"Other people are allowed to run if they so choose."

The more, the merrier. Does this mean we have Primaries? I hope not.

"No taking campaign money from the Chinese in exchange for Forum nuclear secrets. : )"

How about taking campaign money in exchange for the secrets of my mom's pumpkin cake recepie?

"As for format, I'd suggest that this election take on the form of multiple threads in various portions of the Community Forums, with the main thread in "Forum Contests"."

That could take a while. Should we start with a basic declaration of principles, (Pro this, Anti that..) or wait to be asked about them (like the real candidates do)?

"Of course, if Charles is agreed upon as nominee, and he accepts the position, he gets to make all decisions, regardless of what we agree upon!"

The Electoral Capps? Hm. Alright.

------------------

Omega
Member # 91

"Agreed, provided he's not too busy. Otherwise, I nominate Tom, as he IS the moderator here."

Agreed. Charles?

"But if you don't think a population this small can divide into camps... where did you go to school? "

I just meant that if we each have half a dozen or so people advising us, there won't be many real observers left. Oh, and to answer your question: homeschooled.
: )

"Well, I, for one, think character questions ARE important, one of the reasons I'm voting "none of the above" in the real world. And my drug experience doesn't go farther than alcohol. For the record."

OK, how about we can be asked, but all information given is voluntary?

"Does this mean we have Primaries? I hope not."

No. No parties.

"How about taking campaign money in exchange for the secrets of my mom's pumpkin cake recepie?"

OK, no taking campaign money in exchange for anything pertaining to radioactive material. : )

"Should we start with a basic declaration of principles, (Pro this, Anti that..) or wait to be asked about them (like the real candidates do)?"

I think I'd like to wait until asked, but it's not that important to me.

Do you think we could get Charles to let us post a notice of the election in the other Forums? There might be people that read the Trek ones, but not these. I did that for a while when I first got here.

------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do I vote for none of the above.

------------------
What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?
~C. Mongomery Burns

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest we all vote for Frank. How does supreme ruler of the universe sound O Mac'ish one?

------------------
"Diplomacy is the art of Internationalising an issue to your advantage"

Field Marshal Military Project
http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But then he would force us to all become Mac Evangelists.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps