Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Atheists for Jesus?!? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Atheists for Jesus?!?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this poor fellow's developing a persection complex...

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dane:

Here is why quoting your particular religious manual doesn't work.

It's called a circular arguement.

Example:

I could say that fairies make the flowers grow. You'd ask how I can prove it. I'd reply: "Look, there are the flowers, so that proves there must be fairies".

A circular arguement proves nothing (you just come back to where you started). Try logic.

BTW: I was raised Mennonite - and baptised. So I have a pretty good understanding of biblical doctrine.

Unfortunately for my parents (who had real hope I'd go into the ministry), I fell into evil company (science fiction). And I discovered the scientific method (In a nutshell: if you can't prove it - it's not fact, just an opinion). And I decided to apply the scientific method to my own life. And I'm an honest person. And intelligent.

An honest, intelligent person cannot help but conclude that religions are based on opinion - not fact. And how can you believe in opinion? So now I'm apostate: agnostic.

Result: I'm a little lonelier (no diety to keep me company), and I don't believe in life-after-death. But I obeyed my convictions. And mine are based on provable, repeatable, observed facts. Not fairy tales.

No offense intended - just trying to free an intellect.

However (religion-bashers take note):
Some people are not strong enough to get through the day without a diety to lean on. It doesn't matter that he may not exist - believing in him gives them something they need, that due to some inherent weakness they cannot find in themselves.

Yes, religions are a crutch. However, the weak NEED crutches. And it is a cruel thing to kick a crutch out from under a cripple.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but a cripple can't learn to walk w/o crutches, if his legs aren't there. People who use religion as a crutch can live w/o it, they're just too accustomed to living w/ it. It's like taking a crutch away from someone whose legs are perfectly fine, but they've always been taught to use crutches, so they need to learn to walk.

------------------
"Even the colors are pompous!"
-a friend of mine, looking at a Lexus brochure

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree. I think that there are some people who truly aren't capable mentally of living without a religion.

Religion is more like a wheelchair.

Some people get around just fine without a wheelchair.
Some people need a wheelchair to get around, and will never be able to walk without it.
Some people ride wheelchairs for the short term.
Some people don't really need a wheelchair, but ride along in one anyway.

But, need it or not, if you stay in a wheelchair long enough, your legs atrophy from disuse.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Atheists for Jesus???
That brings to mind a few things: Fucking for Virginity, Smoking for Healthy Lungs, and the all-time classic: Environmental funding by Bush

------------------
It never stops, when my mama ask me will I change
I tell her yeah, but it's clear I'll always be the same
Until the end of time
- Tupac Shakur, Untill the End of Time

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Original statement by infinity." j/k

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treknophyle: I'm sorry but I don't think Dane is with us anymore...
He went to doggie heaven!

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treknophyle:

I was raised Mennonite - and baptised. So I have a pretty good understanding of biblical doctrine

Non sequitor.

------------------
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo, your email address is bouncing again. Kindly tell your email provider to get their rear in gear. I've turned off email notification in this thread.

------------------
"Babies are squirmy, ugly, dirty, smelly, and noisy. They'd offend all five of my senses if I had any reason to lick one..."
-- TSN, 2001.01.11 23:27, PhoenixChat

Omega
Member # 91

I seriously doubt that Baloo is still reading this thread, oh great Chuckie one...

------------------
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm? *looks at the datetime* Oooh. Heh.

------------------
"Babies are squirmy, ugly, dirty, smelly, and noisy. They'd offend all five of my senses if I had any reason to lick one..."
-- TSN, 2001.01.11 23:27, PhoenixChat

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next thing you know, the pope will start using condoms!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, in a rare move, I was not the one to ressurect this thread! Fascinating, eh?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Religion without science is blind. Science without religion is lame."

- Albert Einstein

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps