Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Fundies? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Fundies?
seanr
Member # 277

- posted      Profile for seanr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI, I live in Virginia Beach, VA, only about a twenty minute drive from CBN and Pat Robertson's cronies. I am happy to say that the Christian Coalition has recently announced their planned departure from Chesapeake (not sure where they are going). That group has had a stranglehold on politics here for several years. While I am all too happy to see Republicans taking over the state house and senate for the first time in decades, I am not happy that the CC and their ultraconservative cronies were behind it. That group is not generally known for tollerance and progressive attitudes. I think most locals will be happy to see them leave.

------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]

WEBolutionary Consulting Services
Mania-Online

"Great is the glory for the strife is hard"
- Wordsworth

"Why must I be surrounded by frickin' idiots?"
- Dr Evil

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>"Under any circumstances, a woman shouldn't marry a man like that in the first place."

Ah, yes, the old 'blame the victim' standby.

I thought the moral rule was 'he got her pregnant, he HAS to marry her'?

Of course, then the blame just reverts to the mistake in having a knee-trembler with the guy in the first place... and so on, and so on, and so on... blame, blame, blame...

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't SAY it was her fault. Stop jumping to conclusions.

I said she could have avoided the situation. Marying a man like that is a mistake.

And if a woman is pregnant out of wedlock, and the father is like you described, then she'd be better off not getting married. Better only one parent than one stable one and one dangerously unstable one. But again, sleeping with someone to whom you are not married is a mistake. So the mother did make mistakes. She could have avoided the entire situation. She may be a victim, but not entirely. She didn't have the situation forced upon her, as she had control of her life, and she chose poorly.

Ladies and gentlemen, the above statements are only the opinions of the poster. If you don't agree, that's your call.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course everyone knows how to make "right" decisions all the time. That is without factoring in abusive families, lack of self-confidence and self-esteem, peer pressure, desire to fit in, rebellion, or, heck, just different convictions.

------------------
--Then, said Cranly, do you not intend to become a protestant?
--I said that I had lost the faith, Stephen answered, but not that I had lost self-respect. What kind of liberation would that be to forsake an absurdity which is logical and coherent and to embrace one which is illogical and incoherent?

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"That is without factoring in abusive families, lack of self-confidence and self-esteem, peer pressure, desire to fit in, rebellion, or, heck, just different convictions."

None of that should have any affect on her making the right decision (except maybe different convictions). What's right is right, and your past life can't excuse you from your present mistakes. Unless, of course, your parents were so neglectful as to not inform you that sleeping with someone not your spouse can have unwanted side effects. If you don't KNOW what's right and what's wrong, THEN you might have an excuse.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But First, that IS what happens. According to Omega, that's why corprorations are supposed to make the decisions, because people who run them are by and large perfect. The only people who are make wrong decisions are elected officials.

------------------
"Don't have a mind" - Kurt Cobain
Breed, Nirvana

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he's either led a very sheltered life, or is creating expectations so high even he is unlikely to fulfil them.

Humans. We screw up. Live with it.
The last 'perfect' man died almost 2000 years ago... and there's some doubt about him, as well.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Omega
Member # 91

Actually, First, I can give you two more possibilities, both of which are far more likely. One: DT is, once again, assuming things that have no basis in reality and only a very tenuous connection to what I actually said. Two: he's lying through his teeth to make me look bad. Since he persists in such activities, even in private discussions, I can only conclude that his objective is not to make me look bad. Thus, he simply doesn't get it. He assumes things based on nothing.

DT, if you can give me one quote that indicates that I think that CEO's are infallible, I'll leave Flare.

What I said was that people will invariably mess up sooner or later, and probably sooner. There's no way to avoid it. The best situation for someone to mess up in is where their mistake has as little effect as possible on others. A company making a mistake only results in a few hundred people loosing their jobs, which can be relativly easily re-obtained. An all-controling government making a mistake, however, screws the whole country, and forces 5,000,000 people to go to Canada to find jobs. It's better for the power over the corporation to be in the hands OF the corporation when the mistake is made.

/tangent

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exxon has made a few mistakes which effect a bit more then a few hundred people. Heck, so has Microsoft. Just one of the problems with size. A tiny government or company is limited in how much damage it can do. Of course, it can also never go to the moon or build national infrastructures. Priorities, I suppose.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps