Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » They did WHAT?????? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: They did WHAT??????
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just heard this today: South Park has been nominated for an Academy award: Best Song, namely "Flame Canada".

I like South Park. Although I have not seen the movie, someone DID tell me about the song. Right now, I don't have any beefs towards the song, as it is important to the movie itself (in a way). What my beef is that those Academy award idiots NOMINATED this song, which would be legitimizing anti-Canadian content.

If that song wins, I don't think I will watch the Oscars anymore........

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's fun to be anti-Canadian, though. Canada can't do anything in response.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This song is dedicated to everyone in the audience tonight...WITH ONE EYE!" - John Linnell

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah? You have no idea how bad we'll get back at you! We'll...we'll....aw, geez, eh? Pass the Molson, eh.

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we can! We have friends! Lots of friends!

"Bob, call the Azerbajainans! Tell them we need their help again!"

Well, I hereby submit that the Oscars have succumbed to selling out to mass hysteria. Too bad.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll start throwing Ice Cubes across the border if you don't stop it !!!

And we'll make you live in igloos like we do up here ... and we might be nice enough to give you a team of dogs for your dog-sled in order to go to the eskimo hut to get dried fish, a bison bits !!

------------------
-There can be only Nine !! ..mmm.. maybe 10 !!

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ahem*. It's "Blame Canada", not "Flame Canada". The movie isn't a bout a load of people writing bad posts on Canadian newsgroups.

Is it me, or are most countries in the world simply incapable of laughing at themselves? The British have for years had to put up with amazingly wrong cultural stereotypes from US TV, everyone from Mr Chumbley-Warner "Good day to you sir. i wear a bowler hat. therefore I am British", to cockney cab drivers "Guv'nr, I wear a flat cap guv'nr, coo, isn't London foggy. Strange, cause it's always foggy on TV, and rarely foggy in real life", and we don't kick up a fuss and boycott US TV. We just grin and bear it, and sip our tea, smug in our own sense of superiority and confident that no-one has ever battered Monty Python, not even us.

If you watched the movie anyway, you'd see the whole things about intolerance, and about the fact that people never want to address the root of the problem, but instead want to find scapegoats. Some kids go to see a Canadian movie and come out swearing? Bomb Canada, rather than trying to understand what the kids are thinking. Some kids go and shoot up a high-school? Blame everything from guns to the internet, to TV, to the amount of sugar they eat daily.

Just try not to be so much up yer own arse, okay? Are you going to say that if they nominated Uncle Fucker (whcih they should have, but didn't have the balls to), it would be legitimising Fucking of Uncles?

Besides, it's a brilliant song. Although for me, not as good as "It's easy, m'kay".

And remember, "When Canada is dead and gone, they'll be no more Celeni Dion".

------------------
"Should we blame the government? Or blame society? Or should we blame the images on TV?
NO!
Blame Canada!"

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited February 20, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh... We'll just cut off the US's beer supply. Then they'll come crawling back...

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's "running". When you cut off someone's beer supply, they find that they can walk again.

------------------
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 20, 2000).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam, we're all laughing at our country on this thread...

I just don't see how it merits the nomination. Like I said, the Oscars have succumbed to the public's hype.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What?? Are you kidding me ... I can do nothing BUT laugh at our Country .. but let's not forget ..

WE MAKE OUR OWN BEER .. Not this Diet 4% alcohol Millwakee Crap ..

Mind you .. I love Bud !! But we brew it up here too...

Besides .. I like the European Imports .. GUINNESS .. num .num..

Guinness in my Igloo !! >> i love it. I might even share it with my Dog-Sled Team.

------------------
-There can be only Nine !! ..mmm.. maybe 10 !!

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come on people. First of all, it's a brilliant song. Secondly, it is EXACTLY what is needed. Why? Because it's better produced than the pap coming out of Disney these days, and skewers the whole darned industry in the process. (And by this I'm refering to the fact that a jokey movie about foul-mouthed youngsters has better musical values than the "big" companies.)

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a note: They're up against Phil Collins, so its doubtful they'll win.

------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying."
Woody Allen

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elim: Whaddya mean you don't see how it merits the nomination? Sol's right, it's a brilliant song. Far better than the pap that was in Tarzan. It deserves to win.

Just as a test, how many people came out of South Park humming along to Blame Canada, or singing Uncle Fucker? A whole lot moer than those who came out singing any of Phil Collins' songs.

Argue that any of the songs that have been nominated are better than it, and I'll argue that Colin Baker was the best Doctor Who.

------------------
"I'd give anything to be able to turn invisible. I wouldn't use my powers to beat people up, but use them to protect the girl's locker room."

Xander Harris

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, I didn't mean that Disney is garbage, just that I don't like the songs...er...that is, that the songs are predictable and stale.

Nope, there's no way to avoid Ziyal beating me up for this one.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every since I read Henry V and the scene with stereotyped members of the four areas of the British Isles, I've often wondered what some think about us. A question I'd like to ask our non-US citizen contributors: What stereotypes of the different parts of the United States stick out most in foreign minds?

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps