Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » They did WHAT?????? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: They did WHAT??????
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*wrenches topic back to subject*

Put it this way: A song that says something bad (and self-admittedly untrue) about a country no more promotes racism and discrimination (and incidentally, when did "Canadian" become a racial distinction?) than a picture of the national trapshooting convention promotes homicidal violence.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a Canadian(well, almost anyway), I fell that I should say something, it is true that we can't really defend ourself against our neighbour at the south, but that doesn't justify your actions.

Worst come to worst, if the American DO try to take over Canada, I guess I'll just have to grab my Taiwan passport, get on the next plane, and enjoy the "fire works" from TV

LOL!

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now who said America would invade Canada? If we did that, Americans would have to run the Molsen and Moosehead breweries, a situation that makes my head spin just to contemplate.

"Blame Canada" is a joke song from a joke movie. Not all humor is meant to cause controversy, but almost anything remotely humorous will eventually offend someone's sensibilities.

Keep in mind that the Academy Awards is not morally equivalent to the Nobel or Pulitzer prizes. The Academy Awards is the movie industry's way of patting itself on the back while, hopefully, seeming to recieve accolades they deserve. Sometimes they pick movies and categories that justly deserve praise, but if they don't, who's to be offended? They (collectively) chose who, from among themselves, for most categories, will recieve an award. They have a vested interest in the outcome. If "Blame Canada" wins, it will be of no significance, except that enough people in the Motion Picture Academy liked it that they voted for it.

Big deal.

--Baloo

------------------
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for clarification, "Blame Canada" was up for a Grammy, not an Oscar.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the song was a fascinating experiment to see if Canadians had a sense of irony...

We already have the results from the American experiment...

------------------
"No way man!
I've served my time in hell, and I ain't going back...
Not without a fight!"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I knuckled under and went out and rented the video.

Liam is right, "Uncle Fucker" is the better song.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiosity First, did you find the movie funny? I thought it was the best film of last year, as I keep saying.
And all the songs were brilliant. They made me realise how stale Disney's music has got. The fact that it was written by two people, one of whom also did the music, is even more incredible.

I really like "It's easy m'kay". But I can't pick an out and out favourite.

And "Blame Canada" DOES deserve to win. It's a great song with great lyrics, from a great film. Natch.

Oh, and anyone who say the film: Did they think that anything went to far? I heard that IN US screenings people often walked out. I went to packed screenings twice and no-one left. And I didn't think anything went beyond "funny" into simply "offensive".

------------------
"I'd give anything to be able to turn invisible. I wouldn't use my powers to beat people up, but use them to protect the girl's locker room."
Xander Harris

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Well, I'd bet money that the people who walked out were probably people who hadn't watched SP much in the first place.

As for the movie.. yeah, I kinda liked it. Of course, I liked the message behind it. The songs were very funny, and I just LOVED The Mole's character.

But... why did they have to show us what Kenny looked like, what did that add to the movie? I just don't get that subplot.

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that showing Kenny was suppossed to be a treat for long-time fans, and a way to seperate the movie from just being another TV show.

I think the thing that was most shocking was the "ping-pong ball trick". Which wasn't even true. Tsk.

And did you hear any Brits complain when Cartmen yelled out "Dude, that British kid is fucked up"? No.

Probably cause he wasn't actually British. I wonder if that was just an incredibley subtle dig at TNG fans. Thatnks to Patrick SStewart, all Americans now think that the French sound like they've just finished an advert for the Royal Shakespear company, so no doubt Brits sound like they sit around all day chomping on onions and drinking coffee.

------------------
"I'd give anything to be able to turn invisible. I wouldn't use my powers to beat people up, but use them to protect the girl's locker room."
Xander Harris

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phil Collins Song won.

Good Riddance.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it this weekend. Great film, very funny. Especially the bombing of the Baldwin house.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, I'm currently producing a version of the US anthem that's (hopefully)going to be broadcast on the radio. It's basically bagging the living hell out of them. But I didn't do it with malice, only to make people look up and maybe have a laugh.

When people start analysing everything to ensure that its politically correct, they're losing sight of the fact that they are attempting to inhibit freedom of speech. Now, I personally found the song hilarious, but then I also thought that the Bruces sketch from python was hilarious. Come on, seriously, if you give shit (and we all dish it out on a regular basis) you have to be prepared to take shit. Get a thicker skin, or conversely realise that things aren't generally created with the intention of starting racial bigotry.

------------------
"Blind faith is the crutch of fools"

[This message has been edited by Daryus Aden (edited March 28, 2000).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps