Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » They did WHAT?????? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: They did WHAT??????
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lesse...typical stereotypes:
Texan with guns
Greedy lawyers
Hick with guns
Greedy politicians
Military general with guns
Greedy CEOs

ummm....there are probably more....

------------------
No I'm Spartacus!

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam, yes, I understand the purpose of the song. I even mentioned that in my original post. Again, it's not the song that I'm against (I was mildly amused when I first heard of it). What my problem is that it's nomination would send the wrong message saying that "it's okay to make very offensive songs against any group of people cuz you'll win an Oscar or a Grammy". It's the first step in legitimizing hatred and racism. Well, I'm wondering if those Academy Awards doofs ever understood the plot of the movie in the first place, or they nominated the song simply because it sounded cool.

Well, I give up. The recent winners of the "Best Song" Oscar weren't really deserving, to me that is.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tahna Los: Relax, dude! When has Hollywood (and that crowd) ever represented anything other than egotistical, self-indulgent air-heads trying to impress one-another with how much better they are than the rest of the "cattle"? Hollywood is the only place you can make a movie that appeals to everyone and get pilloried for "pandering to the masses"? It's the only place you can make a box-office bomb and be praised for challenging everyone else's values.

Face it. They're unhooked from reality and like it that way. Never mind they're ostensibly in the business of mass-producing "entertainment" for the "masses". After all, it's the masses who fork out $7.50 or so per ticket to see this stuff. At least some of their product had better appeal to the folks with money to spend, or they'd all be broke and looking for something else to do for a living.

--Baloo

------------------
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 20, 2000).]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like someone is a little bitter about missing the last Elmo movie.

------------------
Ohh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts, and plagues and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing...well I say "Hard Cheese"!
~C. Montgomery Burns

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, are you sure you want to know? REALLY sure?

------------------
Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Writes a new song: "Blame 'Blame Canada.'"

Yeah, that's it. 'Blame Canada' is the source of legitamizing all forms of hate and racism (and not those chicken-***kers who dress up in white sheets and burn crosses).

*freudianpsychiatristspeak*

Zo you zee, by trrransverring yourr anker onto ze song, you mizz ze entirrre point ov ze mezzage!

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find your comment as very offensive, First.

Obviously, you don't understand what I'm trying to get at here. I'm not going to try again.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you could explain it better. From your argument, "Braveheart" should never have been nominated for anything because it encourages anti-English feelings. You cuold also make similar comments about "The Devil's Own", or even "Gone with the Wind".

Calling "Blame Canada" racist is laughable, and completly misses the point.

------------------
"I'd give anything to be able to turn invisible. I wouldn't use my powers to beat people up, but use them to protect the girl's locker room."

Xander Harris

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(prefers German beer, british comedy)
Mucas: Those are not sterotypes, they are facts!!

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and let's not forget the stereotyping in "Titanic," including the reiteration of the untrue story of the officer who shot himself.

Boo, Titanic!

I mean, 'Blame Canada' is an ironic song which, despite the lyrics, is about how STUPID it is to blame other people for things that are your fault (which is what much of racism is, blaming the other guy for your problems). (ie, 'darn [insert group here] for coming in and taking my job')

I haven't seen the movie, and even _I_ know that.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Blame Canada? Oh yes, lets. By the way were aware that everyone in Australia rides Kangaroos to school and goes hunting crocs after tea and a spot of beer?

------------------
Samaritan: "A good hot curry will help heal your wounds. That is, unless your religion forbids it".

Man: (Eyes growing wide) "No religion forbids a good hot curry".

-From some movie.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bravehart was a story of real history ... 'Blame Canada' is the product of someone's warped sense of homour .. you can't catagorize them as the same thing ..

But let me say this: If someone wants to nominate the song .. so be it .. I don't care, and I'm Canadian .. It's a great place to live .. nice country side, great people, and good beer !!!

As long as I take that with me ... I could care less if a SOUTH PARK song makes it .. It's comedy .. comedy is meant to cause contriversy .. that's what's so funny about it !!

------------------
-There can be only Nine !! ..mmm.. maybe 10 !!

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited February 23, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Omnisiencespeak* There has been a ripple in the fabric of the continuum. Carry on. *Omnisiencespeak*

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited February 23, 2000).]

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still haven't seen that movie!

This nominnation is news to me too however. Anyone want to place bets on if it actuallly wins?

------------------
Admin at the trekbbs.com

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daryus, can I have one of those giant Fosters mate?

And I can't be arsed, but does someone want to point out the list of inaccuracies in "Braveheart", cause I can't be arsed.

------------------
"I'd give anything to be able to turn invisible. I wouldn't use my powers to beat people up, but use them to protect the girl's locker room."

Xander Harris

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps