Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Here we go again...... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Here we go again......
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you guys have now heard of the 6 year old girl shot to death by a 6 year old boy. Sure, the boy was screwed up, but...... well, you know what I'm going to say next.......

What say you anti-gun-control guys now?

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This past week someone was killed in a car crash. I didn't read about it; I'm just going by statistics I've heard.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This is a brand new song...we haven't recorded it yet, but we're going to now." - John Flansburgh

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited March 01, 2000).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some overlooked facts which may or may not point to the REAL causes of said incident:

The child had previously made death threats against the girl, standing on her desk, screaming at her, and spitting. 'Discipline problem' is probably a bit mild a descriptor.
The child's father is doing time in prison, for what I'm not certain.
The child's mother is living with his 'uncle.'
The weapon used was one of several in the house, ALL STOLEN. The gun had been reported stolen sometime last year.

Not exactly the kind of environment that generally leads to an angelic cherub, is it?

I will, however, be watching this with interest, especially for the racial angle.

See, although I haven't seen the kid, his 'uncle' was on TV, and is a black guy. The little girl was white.

Now you know, if this had been the reverse case, Sharpton and Jackson and the vultures would be all over this like feathers on a goose. So, it'll be interesting, at least in a grim, cynical way, to see if anyone like Al Sharpton gets involved in this one, and what they have to say. (Is there a white Al Sharpton in the house?)

None of the roughly ten thousand gun laws in existence could have stopped this. Neither could any of the ones ever proposed by Clintonians, short of HCI's call for total confiscation. And then the little so-and-so would probably have stolen a baseball bat or a knife instead, or maybe built a pipe bomb.

(just as an aside, nobody ever DID get back to me on those London statistics...)

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate to stir up more trouble, but I don't think gun control would have helped one bit. And I hesitate to say that the root of the problem may just be parental. But given the info just posted, I would say it's a strong factor here. What we need is parental contol laws. But good luck in making some sort of law for that.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I absolutely adore this. We have an inalienable right to own a gun, but not to reproduce? Not that I'm necessarily arguing with you, but I've heard this a lot from self-proclaimed "libertarians" and they can never understand why I get such a laugh out of it.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I didn't mean it that way. Sorry it came out like that. I meant that parents should take responsibility for raising their kids. It bugs me when parents don't take an interest in raising their children. Children should be a blessing, not a burden.
Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't we just throw the kid in a luney bin and pay for theraphy?

------------------
We did it on the floor,
We did it by the door,
We did it all night,
We did it under a light,
So how about for tonight we do it some more...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is of course an insanely complicated problem. Can we really consider six year old children to be responsible for their own actions? But then, who is? Or does it matter? After all, no amount of justice can bring that girl back.

The problem, as I see it, is that we ideally want our justice system to carry out two chief aims. The first is to protect the rest of us from the criminal element, whether through incarceration, execution, or rehabilitation. The second is to somehow punish the criminal, or "teach them a lesson", as it were. The first is rather easy in this case to carry out. Isolate the boy from those he might do harm to. The second is where it all gets tangled. Ask ten different people and you'll get ten different answers. As a vastly exaggerated example, there will be some who might claim that the boy's problem comes from living in a society where women and men are allowed to intermingle as equals. To others, the problem is that the child wore mixed fibers and was allowed to eat meat from animals with cloven hoofs. I'm not putting force either as sound or even likely arguments, but merely as a worst case example to show how deep the conflict can run.

Ultimately, I think we would all agree that the goal is to prevent this boy from ever repeating such an act. But as to what path should be taken to get there... *shrug*

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect I'm shouting into a gale here, as usual, but...
I think you need to distinguish between two aspects of the problem.

1) You have people who get mad enough or insane enough to want to wreak bloody vengeance against any representative of humanity they come across. This is not confined to America; hell I've felt like it on occasion. It merely manifests itself more strongly there because of the nature of your society. Private stresses accumulate on individuals, but the rest of society continues on oblivious, and to the eyes of the person in question, uncaring. In less well off countries the stresses are felt by wider groups; families, or even whole nations if the stresses are economic. Hence there is more of an outlet for frustrated emotion and the consolation of "being in it together".

2) Ability to act on these violent impulses.
When they get in a "killing mood" these people will grab whatever weaponry they can and use it until someone stops them forcibly - frequently by killing them, which they may wish to hapen anyway.

Given:
It is unlikely that in the short-term society will be able to prevent some individuals from becoming so alienated that they are consumed by desires for retribution.

Hypothesis:
It is logical, therefore, to limit their access to weaponry that will allow them to maximise their violence.

Rationale:
The argument that everyone being armed equalises the balance of power is sophistry. The element of surprise will always allow the person to take down at least a few before anyone can intervene. It may indeed provoke him into procuring a superior arsenal to ensure he gets to kill more people. Down this road we have those who stockpile sub-machine guns, mortars and explosives. Should everyone be armed with semtex to deter bombers?

By reducing the number of guns in circulation, and limiting their sale by necessity must make it harder for people on the edge to get guns. Yes, they may steal one, or come by one through illegal means. But this would be made progressively more difficult for them as the "gun culture" is reduced and people become less used to seeing them everyday not just on TV, but strapped to the belts of their policemen. If nothing else, restrictions on ownership of guns would prevent all the accidental deaths of kids who blow their heads off because their parents forgot to lock the box they keep the "family gun" in.

A final point to levvy against those who seek universal arming. What does it say about a society where its memebrs trust each other so little that they are perpetually on the brink of "drawing" on each other?

I hope I have given your brains something to chew upon.

------------------
"No way man!
I've served my time in hell, and I ain't going back...
Not without a fight!"

[This message has been edited by Montgomery (edited March 02, 2000).]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah.... I've just read the entire details of this whole thing, and most of these details have been consistent with the facts stated here.

I did not say "Pro-Gun", I merely stated "Anti-Gun-Control". There's no way in hell in which we'll ever know if lack on gun control would have contributed to this. We don't know where this gun came from at all, other than the fact that the gun was stolen, but who stole it, and from whom.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

------------------
Ohh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts, and plagues and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing...well I say "Hard Cheese"!
~C. Montgomery Burns

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Keanu Reeves' character in the movie "Parenthood" might lend a little clarity to what Fructose was trying to say in the "parental control laws" reference:

"You need a license to drive a car, to own a dog... hell, you need a license to catch a fish. But they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father."

(Keanu Reeves, fount of wisdom... whodathunkit?)

------------------
Dane

"Mathematicians have long held that a million monkeys banging on a million keyboards would eventually reproduce the collected wisdom of the human race. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Silensky

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno. Ramming butts isn't usually the correct way to go about becoming a father.

------------------
"Sometimes I wish the planet would be scoured with cleansing fire. Other times I just wish Frank would be."
Sol System

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a problem with no clear anwser and will probably never get one. People die everyday and not always by guns. I have lost two classmates through accidents that should not have happend, I'm only a junior in college. The difference between the death of that little girl and the loss of my friends was that someone chose to take that life. It is as simple as that. It is not the form by which the person dies that cause people to react it is the victims age and the horror that a person made the decison to kill. I have lived my entire life in a house with guns. I was teased as a child and only had a few good friends. The guns in my house were of easy access. Yet I never felt the need to bring one to school and extract revenge on those who made fun of me. I knew the difference between right and wrong thanks to my parents. I admit that there needs to be laws to keep guns out of the hands of people who cannot make the connection between right and wrong. But we must realize that access to the weapons does not mean intent to use.

"Guns don't kill people,
People kill people."

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No it doesn't. But the problem isn't the people who have access to them with no intention of using them. It's those who have intention of causing harm who have access to guns.

------------------
"Sometimes I wish the planet would be scoured with cleansing fire. Other times I just wish Frank would be."
Sol System

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps