Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Here we go again...... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Here we go again......
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deconstruction:

>"1) You have people who get mad enough or insane enough to want to wreak bloody vengeance against any representative of humanity they come across. This is not confined to America; hell I've felt like it on occasion. It merely manifests itself more strongly there because of the nature of your society. Private stresses accumulate on individuals, but the rest of society continues on oblivious, and to the eyes of the person in question, uncaring. In less well off countries the stresses are felt by wider groups; families, or even whole nations if the stresses are economic. Hence there is more of an outlet for frustrated emotion and the consolation of "being in it together"."

The 'stressed out' defense? Are you kidding?
Yes, 'stress' is definable as 'the urge to throttle the living hell out of someone who desperately deserves it.'
However, 'being human' is defined as 'not doing so.' Except in cases of physical assault, use of physical force is never justifiable. I don't give a damn HOW bad they feel. I've probably felt worse. People who set out to 'wreak bloody vengeance' should not be treated as we would human beings. rather, they should be treated as any other mad animal would be, and destroyed with all haste. This is not compassionate, but it is practical. It will save more lives than it takes.

"2) Ability to act on these violent impulses. When they get in a "killing mood" these people will grab whatever weaponry they can and use it until someone stops them forcibly - frequently by killing them, which they
may wish to hapen anyway."

True. So why deny our ability to give them what they want? Swiftly and easily?

"Given: It is unlikely that in the short-term society will be able to prevent some individuals from becoming so alienated that they are consumed by desires for retribution."

Perhaps. This, too, is a matter left to the individual's self-discipline. It is not society's job. Nor is it "society's" fault. All sentient beings make their own choices, know right from wrong, and should be prepared to deal with the consequences of their actions. Again, this falls back under 'behave yourself.'

"Hypothesis:
It is logical, therefore, to limit their access to weaponry that will allow them to maximise their violence."

True, up to a point. Identical access to the same weaponry will allow me to minimise their violence, should I be present.

"Rationale:
The argument that everyone being armed equalises the balance of power is sophistry. The element of surprise will always allow the person to take down at least a few before anyone can intervene. It may indeed provoke him into procuring a superior arsenal to ensure he gets to kill more people. Down this road we have those who stockpile sub-machine guns, mortars and explosives. Should everyone be armed with semtex to deter bombers?"

It may be sophistry. However, it is also true. This has been shown REPEATEDLY in communities where 'pro-gun' legislation has passed, and been followed by a precipitous drop in the crime rate.
You will notice also that the LACK of a balance of power did not prevent the columbine students from dying en masse. Nor did it prevent Klebold and Harris brom building some NINETY bombs out of legal materials.
It should also be noted that you are now attributing logical reasoning to people whom, in your first points, you claimed were maddened by stress. Your 'road' is a dead-end. Here's another point: no matter HOW many guns a thug carries, he will eventually have to pause to reload, or switch weapons. This produces 'free time' in which an armed defender may take him down. However, if no armed defender is present, it's simply 'waiting to die' time.

"By reducing the number of guns in circulation, and limiting their sale by necessity must make it harder for people on the edge to get guns. Yes, they may steal one, or come by one through illegal means. But this would be made progressively more difficult for them as the "gun culture" is reduced and people become less used to seeing them everyday not just on TV, but strapped to the belts of their policemen. If nothing else, restrictions on ownership of guns would prevent all the accidental deaths of kids who blow their heads off because their parents forgot to lock the box
they keep the "family gun" in."

You canot reduce guns in circulation. All you can do is reduce the number that are possessed by law-abiding private citizens. Criminals DO NOT TURN IN THEIR GUNS!
You also seem to demonstrate a lack of knowledge about the resilience of steel. Guns, taken care of, can last for CENTURIES.
It is a good point you make, about the policeman. Tell me, how easily is it to get the 'element of surprise' on a cop? A friend of my father's jokingly remarked once that if they banned guns, and he needed one, he'd simply go out one dark night and waylay a beat cop with a brick. A crook can do this. TWO could do it much more easily.
The 'kids blowing of their own heads' scenario is already extremely rare, (there is no 'All the kids') and now happens only among the fatally irresponsible. From a purely genetic point of view, this is a good thing, for it prevents passage of stupidity. And since gun locks require the gun to be unloaded in the FIRST place, they are worse than useless.

"A final point to levvy against those who seek universal arming. What does it say about a society where its memebrs trust each other so little that they are perpetually on the brink of "drawing" on each other?"

I don't know. What does it say about a society that refuses to defend itself against agression? Of a society that surrenders to lawlessness? Oh, yes, I know, it says "On this spot was once a city."
I don't seek universal arming... I seek universal opportunity to defend and protect oneself.

I also know that the confiscations and registrations you describe have been sucessfully implemented before... in Germany shortly prior to WWII and in Soviet Russia, not that it really matters.

"I hope I have given your brains something to chew upon."

Yes. Chewed and spit out again.
I am not compassionate. I am merely practical.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and Liam is right. It's not the access, it's the intent that is the problem. You do not cure the madman by putting straitjackts on the sane, all of whom might someday go mad. You lock up the madman.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem clearly stems from a lack of state-mandated religion being ingrained in our little ones from day one. What evidence do I have, you ask? Simple. When was the last school shooting in Iran? Proof positive, I say.

(Well, not really, but I'm in a contrary mood.)

On a more serious note, First, one might point out that, had Columbine been limited to homemade bombs, the death toll would have stood at a large zero, all else being equal. (Whether or not all else would be equal is, of course, up for debate.)

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on where and when these bombs would have gone off. Tape a pipe bomb one under a table in a cafeteria, light a fuse and run and you can get probably just as many. If I can think of that in under a minute, a 14 year old can come up with something that would be more destructive. But the emotional shock of a bomb going off in school would be pretty sever too. It's not guns that are the problem. People are the problem.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My point is that none of the many bombs scattered about the school injured anyone. Luck, or thankful ignorance on behalf of the bombmakers? It doesn't matter.

------------------
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually, there were bomb-related injuries, though none fatal. These also go to the "intent" argument: If they couldn't get any guns, would they have used more bombs?

Excerpts from contemporary sources:

Surgeons work through night
By Ginny McKibben
Denver Post Staff Writer
April 22 - Surgeons at six area hospitals worked through the night Tuesday to save the lives and preserve the futures of 22 students wounded in the worst school shooting in U.S. history�

�Mark and Shari Schnurr said their 18-year-old daughter, Valeen Schnurr, was thankful for the prayers she received. She had nine shrapnel wounds in her chest�

�The descriptions of wounds suffered by students indeed sounded like the result of warfare: Chests impaled with shrapnel�

Homemade bombs cheap, easy to build
By David Olinger
Denver Post Staff Writer
April 23 - The crude bombs that Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris carried into Columbine High School could have been assembled in an afternoon with less than $200 worth of materials, according to a federal official at the crime scene.

These were very simple devices,'' said Larry Bettendorf, a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agent assigned to the case. "If you had all of your components all ready, you could probably assemble these in a couple of hours.''

[description of 20-pound gas bomb follows]

�According to Bettendorf, all the other bombs found inside the school were much smaller - encased either in CO2 cylinders, which are sold at sporting goods stores, or in short sections of galvanized steel pipe, sold at hardware stores. The galvanized pipes, about 6 inches long, "are already threaded on both ends, and you can buy the end caps'' at a hardware store as well, he said.
Their fuses were "just simple cannon fuse'' sold by the roll at sporting goods and hobby stores, and set to explode with ease, he said. "Strike-anywhere-type of matches were already taped to the fuses.''

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is that some people believe that guns solve the problem and others think that guns are part of the problem.

Then again maybe we could all carry axes. One wonders why we don't have drive by axings.

------------------
Ohh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts, and plagues and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing...well I say "Hard Cheese"!
~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Xentrick, you are of course correct, though I was leaning more towards no fatalities from explosives, rather than no injuries at all.

However, as I said, had the situation been without guns, then perhaps more bombs might have been used. But I was only addressing the issue that, as things were, no one was killed by them.

------------------
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it when First treats me rough

------------------
"No way man!
I've served my time in hell, and I ain't going back...
Not without a fight!"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One small point, I think that it is rather silly to equate gun control with surrendering to lawlessness.

You can now continue to argue about how everyone having their own personal arsenal makes me and the society in which I live in safer.

------------------
Ohh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts, and plagues and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing...well I say "Hard Cheese"!
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I wish I could quote directly from the report this came from, but I can't find it in the mass of papers, books, and things I call a bedroom. However:

Criminals are 75-80% less likely to commit a home invasion if they believe the homeowner possesses a gun and is willing to use it.

Roughly the same percentage would not approach a potential victim they believed to be carrying. Almost NONE would approach a victim they KNEW to be carrying.
Can you blame them? Getting killed generally isn't on the bad guy's agenda.

Firearms, the use and display thereof (because most of the time simply showing it is enough) continue to be used in the prevention of 1-2 million crimes a year in the United States.

Average police response time is 15 minutes, often more in large urban areas. A lot can happen in 15 minutes. Two Dexter's Lab cartoon shorts, for one. Also, roughly the time required to break a door down, (or pick a lock), enter, murder the occupant, loot the place, and depart. And that's IF anybody called the cops in the FIRST place. Generally, when the cops are called, by then it's too late.

If you want to be safe, you've got to make YOURSELF safe. Noone can do it for you.

------------------

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys, I'm so dyed-in-the-wool conservative that I starch my boxer shorts (not really), but I'm really starting to rethink my position on gun control. I suppose being a new father might be the catalyst; imagining my son killed by a gun someone failed to responsibly control is about the worst thought my mind can currently conceive.

That being said, I've always been of the (probably uninformed but nonetheless very fixed) opinion that the REAL reason our forefathers wrote the second amendment was as a check on the government. In other words, giving the average citizen the right to keep and bear arms makes the government (local, state, or national) think twice about using an armed force to supress them. And while I may trust the current government to preserve my rights even if I'm not "holding a gun to their head," I do NOT trust tomorrow's government to do the same. (Perhaps it's sad that I'm not willing to place more faith in people...) So I'm in a bit of a quandry.

I have read that in Switzerland (a country where all males are required to perform military service) that those belonging to the military reserves are given their assault rifles to keep with them at home, rather than store them in a central location. (Note that this is a relatively large percentage of the population.) I cannot provide primary or secondary sources to back this up, but if it's true, I wonder how they manage to keep things controlled so nicely. (Edit: Check out the Swiss Armed Forces website. The page this link goes to describes their compulsory service policy and IMPLIES that those whose duties require weapons keep them in their homes. I recognize it's weak evidence; if you can find anything that proves either way I'd be very interested in seeing it. Here's the link: http://www.vbs.admin.ch/internet/e/armee/auftr/index.htm .)

------------------
Dane

"Mathematicians have long held that a million monkeys banging on a million keyboards would eventually reproduce the collected wisdom of the human race. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Silensky

[This message has been edited by Dane Simri (edited March 03, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Firearms, the use and display thereof (because most of the time simply showing it is enough) continue to be used in the prevention of 1-2 million crimes a year in the United States."

As you say thought, that only applies to the USA. You can't say that we in the UK would have the eqivalent of 1-2 million less crimes a year if we armed our citizens?

BTW, what London statistics were you interested in First?

------------------
"Sometimes I wish the planet would be scoured with cleansing fire. Other times I just wish Frank would be."
Sol System

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of the problem is how people think of guns. Owning a gun gives you the power to take a life. Doctors have that power, but the swear not to do harm, or they can't be a doctor. Many people don't realize what power they hold in their hand when they have a gun and don't act appropriatley. I don't own any guns, but I know that whenever I hold one I should treat it like it's always loaded, and you NEVER point it at anyone unless you intend to kill them. It's part of acknowledging the power you hold. The people that abuse the power is the problem. And until our society can somehow stop glorifying the use of guns, then that will remain a problem. If you ask a real cop how many times he took out his gun, most of them could count the times on one hand. And how many times they shot at someone would be even fewer. Movies, tv, the news, and so on all make it seem like cops pull their gun out several times a day and kill people all the time. I don't think we sould ban violence from tv and movies. Hell, I like a good action flick just like everyone else. But our society needs to learn what guns are really about.

(Woah, let me step off the soap box now.)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Liam: I had recently heard, from a source who I consider to be rather unbiased about such things, that the incidence of gun-involved crime (or perhaps it was gun homicide) had nearly tripled in the London metropolitan area since the last big banning there (after the Scotland schoolyard shooting).

I was hoping that someone close to the situation could possibly supply us with actual "primary source" -- that is, what the police reports say, not what the press says -- statistics concerning such information, since its veracity could determine the course (and outcome) of the argument, not to mention whether I trust that source's data anymore.

I have also, incidentally, heard the same things about Australia's recent confiscation, but to a lesser degree. I hope to get verification on that, as well.

------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps