Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I can't stand it any more... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I can't stand it any more...
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Staggers* Christ. Australians go to university free. (Well almost). All we have to provide are books for ourselves. And $20-$30 k per year for a private school is scandalous. The most expensive ones here are US 10k p.a.

------------------
"Blind faith is the crutch of fools"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind, though, that scholarships generally insure that the only people who pay that much are the ones who can afford it.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Flansburgh: "This song is so old that it's actually featured on our brand new record."
John Linnell: "It's one of those year 2000 problems."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the ones who can't afford it? I mean, $30,000? To get educated in the US? Pah, You could cmove to Oxford, and still save money. Even after you then deceide to move to Cambridge, where it's much more fun.

BTW Sol, scratch that. I didn't actually pay fees, so I got it wrong. It's about �200 x 3. For King's college London, quite a good uni.

Still, you have to pay to get X-ray'd. You have to pay to get educated. No wonder the majority of the people in your country are either dying or stupid.

(Notice: Liam's statements are not actually backed up by any provable facts. None at all. Although they are probably true.)

------------------
*Amusing quote not available, please call back later*

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I went to American River (junior) College, as a state resident, I only had to pay for books & parking space (if I needed it). Of course, that was only a 2-year institution, and my parents were providing room & board (it was within walking distance of their house).

If I had lived farther away, I might have had to get a job to earn rent & food, and it would've begun to cost something once I finished there and went to a REAL college, but then the first two years of a four (or five) year program would've been almost free.

--Baloo

------------------
"When you�re a geek . . .
You�re a geek all the way,
From your first sci-fi con
To your last dying day."
-- James Lileks
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: The institutions that have a $30,000/yr tuitions also have wealthy patrons who provide millions of dollars for scholarships for non-wealthy students.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Flansburgh: "This song is so old that it's actually featured on our brand new record."
John Linnell: "It's one of those year 2000 problems."

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My tuition at USC is about $34,702--that's including estimates for room & board and living expenses. My mom earns about $50,000 a year, so I qualified for Federal aid. From the Feds I get about $14,500--$9,420 from Cal Grant (which I get for being a CA resident, poor enough, and have a high enough GPA), $2500 in Fed Work-Study (which colleges love because the gov't pays part of my wage so they get cheap labor), and $2,625 in subsidized loan. USC is giving me a grant of $12,553 which I don't have to pay back. That comes out to $7,600 that I have to pay, and my parents are supposed to pay most of that because I'm still a dependent. My parents currently pay about $5400 a year for my school, so my mom didn't think it was that bad (since she thought she wasn't going to get any aid). Still, maybe it'll be nice to move to England.

------------------
"One more day before the storm
At the barricades of freedom!
When our ranks begin to form
Will you take your place with me?"
--Enjolras, "One Day More," Les Miserables

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing:

Baloo: Were you just out of it that day or did you think I was a he all this time?

------------------
"One more day before the storm
At the barricades of freedom!
When our ranks begin to form
Will you take your place with me?"
--Enjolras, "One Day More," Les Miserables

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Actually, I think Baloo had you confused with Tahna Los...you both use Bajoran aliases, have ties to Asia, and have annoying brothers.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We can't really say we feel comfortable in Los Angeles, because we don't." - John Flansburgh

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Ireland, all EU residents are entitled to free third-level education as of 1996 (I think).
The onlyt thing I have to pay is a �250 Tuition Fee at the beginning of the year.

And if you're eligible for it (which I'm not *fume*), you can apply for a Grant worth �1,500 a year.
Sweet, eh?

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, it's actually, �1050 a year, which can be paid in installments, for ALL universities.

Tuition fees were actually only introduced in 1997, under Labour, after one of their election promises was to never charge people for university education. Tsk.

Currently, Oxford and the other snobs are lobbying parliment to allow universities to set their own tuition fees. This of course, would mean that Oxford would rase it's fee levels, so that it becomes even more of an elitist place thanit is now. This would not be a good thing.

------------------
*Amusing quote not available, please call back later*

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tora:

1. Yes, I was pretty much out of it.

(Doesn't everyone enjoy a fatigue-induced stupor now and again? )

2. I was, in fact, confusing you with Tahna Los.

(The gender of Bajoran names is not readily apparent to me).

3. You are both west of me, and I sometimes get Canada and California confused, since they both begin with "C".

(That last bit is a blatant lie, but I'm still trying to cover my embarrassment over this gaffe, so humor me, huh?)

--Baloo

------------------
"When you�re a geek . . .
You�re a geek all the way,
From your first sci-fi con
To your last dying day."
-- James Lileks
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited May 15, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even more, they both start with Ca and end with a.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Tora, I can sympathize with you. Try living at home while in the closet, and instead of dealing with a father you can't stand try my closed-minded mother for a week.

But still you can always move out when you can support yourself.

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Luzon, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just too bad the Government allots more for students who still live with their parents than those who live alone (by choice or otherwise.) I had to find this out the hard way. When I started College, I still lived with my mother ($300/ month rent, providing own food, transportation {feet-I didn't have a license}, and still abiding by the family rules) Financial Aid paid for my entire tuition, because my mothers income was reported.

Needless to say, I moved. Without any help from my parents, I was forced to live on my own. (after two years of living on my own money while living with my mother, it was easy.) However, since her income has no effect on me, the government is balking at my Financial Aid app (balking even louder, because my mother is now making too much money for me to qualify for Financial Aid.) I still receive no help from my parents, yet FA will not pay for my schooling. So as to your statement, Frank, the ones paying for it aren't only the ones who can afford it, it's the ones who cannot get Financial Aid for any reason (And yes, I've considered loans, but I may never get a good enough job to ever pay them back.)

------------------
Well I'm a Bada$$ cowboy living in a cowboy day wicky-wicky-wak yo yo bang bang
me and Artemus Clydefrog go save Selma Hayek from the big metal spider
Wicky-wicky-wak wicky-wicky-wicky-wak
Bada$$ cowboy from the West Si-yiide

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

It's true that not everyone who needs financial aid gets it, yes. I was mostly talking about private colleges, though, which have their own aid policies and generally make sure that they can pay for all the students they accept.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We can't really say we feel comfortable in Los Angeles, because we don't." - John Flansburgh

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps