Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I find this extremely disturbing... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I find this extremely disturbing...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just discovered two very disturbing facts.

1: Since March 9, 1933, the United States has been in a state of declared National Emergency.

2: Under a state of National Emergency, the president has the authority to declare martial law.

Let us all hope and pray that Clinton does not discover these two facts...

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-- Adolph Hitler, 1933

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why 1933? That's about the time of the end of the depression, but before any of the WWII stuff.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We can't really say we feel comfortable in Los Angeles, because we don't." - John Flansburgh

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, the man is in the final year of his two terms and have given daily indications over the past two years that he wants to suspend habeas corpus and remold the country into Czarist Russia.

I imagine that on his last day in office he'll declare martial law and take over Ohio, at the very least due to Ohio's vast natural resources and the mighty play of the Cincinnati Reds, and turn the state into a giant pot growing wide hippy commune. This commune of course will consist of state wide health care, but only for people with hangnails, he'll take away people's assualt weapons (which are only used for hunting purposes anyway) and he'll socialize bicycle riding.

Why? Well because he can!

This is beyond silly.

------------------
Oh, goody, the Sea Monkeys I ordered have arrived. Heh heh heh, look at them cavort and caper.
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was relatively shortly into the depression, Frank. The depression didn't end until WW2. I'd guess congress figured that all these new deal programs that FDR proposed were unconstitutional (correctly), so they needed to find a way to circumvent that. Ironic that none of them made much headway against the depression.

And I'd be more worried about him skipping an election or three. I don't care what he does. A benign dictator is still a dictator, and again, the price of freedom is eternal vigelance. And Clinton is hardly benign.

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-- Adolph Hitler, 1933

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
State wide weed growing?

Man, do you have it wrong...

It's state wide "ORGY" and weird dildos for ladies working for the federal government!

------------------
Okey, okey, here's my question:

If you are an immortal, do you "rot" simply because of the
nuclear decay of the Carbon-14 particles inside your body?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Blue, that's my dream. Except that all male government workers under 35 and fit will...

nevermind.

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Luzon, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm praying all right. Tell me, if this has been the case since 1933 weren't you paranoid that every nut- case president before Billy the cod may have called for matrial law? In short, do you REALLY think he's going to have a national crackdown. On what basis would he have one anyway?

------------------
"Blind faith is the crutch of fools"

[This message has been edited by Daryus Aden (edited May 17, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't suppose you'd be willing to share a source, would you?

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heehee.
It's a bit like Andorra still being at war with the German Empire since WW2.
Thay still haven't declared an armistice!!

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

Omega
Member # 91

"if this has been the case since 1933 weren't you paranoid that every nut- case president before Billy the cod may have called for matrial law?"

Well, considering that I just found out that they all had the authority to do so last night, no, I wasn't. And I don't think that we've had one besides Clinton that's enough of a sleezeball to take advantage of it.

"In short, do you REALLY think he's going to have a national crackdown. On what basis would he have one anyway?"

I don't REALLY think he will. But I really think he would, if he could, safely. As for reason, he'd trump something up. He always does. 'Course, chances are someone would shoot him within twenty minutes if he tried it...

Source: http://www.commonlink.com/~olsen/COMMON/factfict.html

------------------
-- Adolph Hitler, 1933

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited May 17, 2000).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the page itself may be rightist in its language (though not necessarily incorrect in itself), the source it quotes, Senate Report 93-549, is a legitamate government document.

Oops.

Well, elect me dictator and I'll fix that.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The worst years of the Depression were 1929-1933, IIRC. BTW, the New Deal programs were pretty useful in light of the economic problems the country was having, IMO.

Also, I think the US is still technically at war with North Korea.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We can't really say we feel comfortable in Los Angeles, because we don't." - John Flansburgh

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited May 17, 2000).]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is South Korea. The end of hostilities was the result of a cease fire, not a peace treaty. The war has been pursued by other means ever since. Would that peace were pursued with such tenacity.

As far as the "state of emergency" goes, that is also a fact. Ever notice how many executive orders have issued forth from the office of the president? He has no authority to do so unless a state of emergency is in effect. Unfortunately, I suppose that World War II distracted everyone from the failure to rescind the original declaration. After all, the war was an emergency, wasn't it? And so was recovery from the war, and the Berlin crisis, and the Korean war, and the red scare, and... well, just about everything since!

I suppose someone ought to bring this up in congress and declare the emergency over. If something's the normal state of affairs, it isn't an emergency. It's "business as usual".

--Baloo

------------------
"Happiness, hunger, horniness and disappointment: the four things people and dogs have in common."
-- James Lileks
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited May 17, 2000).]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega buddy. I've emailed the link to the white house boys. Now that they know, I'm sure you're all going to be goose stepping within weeks.

------------------
"Blind faith is the crutch of fools"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*GLINK!*
//Non-sequitur detected.
//Potential ad hominem invalid statement.
*automsg on*

The previous post has surpassed the Illogic Criterion for thread conversations.

Please clarify or refrain from further comment.
Thank you

*automsg off*

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps