Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I find this extremely disturbing... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I find this extremely disturbing...
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay said: "Good history is more than simple trivia."

No way! Utter nonsense. You can sum up the whole history of mankind in a set of trivial pursuit cards.

------------------
"Remeber, if there is a nuclear explosion, be sure to close your windows as the massive heat could cause objects within your home to catch fire".

Wise, wise words.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, like Australia did anything important that didn't involve dingos!

And while where at it, just what has India done for me lately!!

------------------
Oh, goody, the Sea Monkeys I ordered have arrived. Heh heh heh, look at them cavort and caper.
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm Australia....well we have some really great looking women. (They'd do something for you, if you weren't..wait lets leave that there).

I wonder how long we can keep this up without coming out and insulting each other. OOH.

------------------
"Remeber, if there is a nuclear explosion, be sure to close your windows as the massive heat could cause objects within your home to catch fire".

Wise, wise words.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I suppose Paul Hogan and Yahoo Serious were products of Australia... But then, they're not really imporant are they? ;-)

------------------
"No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and have lived to tell about it." Sideshow Bob

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm only messing with Daryus...I understand and appreciate the cultural contributions made by India throughout world history. In fact some of the earliest advanced civilizations were in Indus River Valley and often get overlooked by people who only want to point to Egypt or Meso-America.

As to Australia, well I'm still working on that one.

------------------
Oh, goody, the Sea Monkeys I ordered have arrived. Heh heh heh, look at them cavort and caper.
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

You were joking? Well that seals it, your humor is far too subtle for the likes of me. I guess I'll just have to wander in the intellectual wilderness, never quite comprehending what's going on around me. *sigh*.

------------------

Wise, wise words.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine sent me a link to a page that might be relevant.

Proposed legislation ending the state of perpetual emergency and defining the president's power to issue executive orders.

Can anyone verify if the legislation mentioned has been introduced? If so, what is its current status? It sounds like something that would have to be passed by a veto-proof margin to be effective -- after all, I can't see Clinton signing a bill that limits his power.

~~Baloo

------------------
Beer lovers take note:
Stroh's spelled backwards is "shorts."

http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Senator Crapo? Senator Crapo? The irony is almost painful. I would give up all of Manhatten to run against this man in an election. "A vote for Crapo is a vote for crap." "Crapo: He's as good as he sounds." See, I've already got my smear ads ready. Ok, this is childish, I know. But his homepage is good for a few more laughs along a similar vein. Email Senator Crapo. NEWS from Senator Crapo.

At any rate, I am somewhat disturbed that the good senator from Idaho appears to have absolutely no concept of what the office of the President really does.

From that wacky Constitution, Article II, Section 3:

quote:

He shall from time to time give to the Congress information of the state of the Union, and recommend to their consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in case of disagreement between them, with respect to the time of adjournment, he may adjourn them to such time as he shall think proper; he may receive ambassadors, and other public ministers; he shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed, and shall commission all the officers of the United States.

I am dying to know how the President will carry out his Constitutionally mandated duty of enforcing the laws of the United States when the agency for such enforcement is removed. Harsh language, perhaps?

My favorite part is where the page says the legislation will "Prohibit all executive orders not expressly authorized by statute or the U.S. Constitution.", and then later admits 'Unfortunately, the Constitution defines presidential powers very generally; and nowhere does it define, much less limit, the power of a president to rule by executive order...'

Topping it all off is this: "(The bill will) Require a cost-benefit analysis and a public comment period before an executive order can take effect."

Right. And this is to ensure that all such orders are Constitutional? And this is expected to work? Two executive orders for you.

EO9066: Signed by FDR, it provided for the internment of American citizens of Japanese descent. One of the darkest stains on the history of the United States. Are we supposed to assume that an analysis and public comment period would have prevented this travesty? Hardly. At the time, there were those who thought that simple detention was not enough. (It should not be forgotten that there were also camps set up for those unfortunate to be Italian or German on the east coast. These were far less "successful", for obvious reasons.)

EO11111: Signed by JFK. I might be wrong about this because I couldn't find the whole text, but I believe this ordered the state of Alabama to integrate its public facilities. Far from a popular opinion at the time. Considering that, in all such desegregation attempts, the very governors of the states involved were often actively opposed to such measures, I highly doubt a review would have led to justice being done.

More sillyness from the far right. It is marked as distinct from that of the far left by its paranoia. The far right has no real idea how government works and thus fears it. The far left has no real idea how government works but simply believes it will. Neither extreme is any way to run a country.

------------------
"Twentieth century go and sleep.
Really deep. We won't blink
Your eyes are burning holes through me.
I'm not scared I'm outta here.
I'm not scared. I'm outta here.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Please?

[This message has been edited by Sol System (edited June 10, 2000).]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps