Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Still think it works? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Still think it works?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And ON that subject, anyone here willing to teach me Icelandic so I can sing along with my Bj�rk CDs & know what the fuck I'm saying?

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I CAN admit when I'm wrong. It's just such a rarity that most people think I can't.

Sol: A sixteen-year old Nashvillian working for Paramount. Interesting concept.

*takes sip of non-acloholic beer*

Now if I understand Daryus correctly, the effects of the '96 laws were that certain guns were removed from the public hands and replaced with other types of guns. Now if that happened in every case, so that the total number of guns in private hands is the same, if the kinds of guns replaced are just as effective as the kinds of guns that replaced them, and if there are no other effects of these laws, then I can see no reason that these particular laws could increase crime. Now if other laws were passed at the same time, maybe, but I don't know of any, so I can't theorize. These particular laws don't seem all that insidious (with the possible exception that I'm under the impression that this allows searches without warrants, but I'm not sure there).

------------------
"To disarm the people [is] the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They tell me the Australian registry system has an error rate around 30%.

Here's a little story whose source I've unfortunately lost, but which occurred on Aug. 20, 1999. Perhaps our Ozzie friends can dig up the relevant newspaper stories? But this is the story I got:

This is the story of a middle aged man who belongs to a shooting club and is a known gold prospector. In his capital city suburban backyard, he washes and treats small quantities of ore-bearing deposit for the gold traces.

The federal taxation department, decides that he MAY be withholding information relevant to his income. It asks the federal police to pay a call on the house. They contact their state counterparts and find that he has 20 registered firearms.

The resulting visit they pay to the house is at dawn, by courtesy of the tactical response unit, wearing flak jackets. The man and his family are bundled out of the house under submachine guns.

THIS is the new Australian way of asking people if they're making too much pocket money by washing dirt in their backyards?
What justifies this?

OOH, they said, he had 20 firearms registered. Imagine... anyone so potentially callous and potentially violent and potentially tax-avoiding as to own 20 guns, belong to a shooting club, become a licenced shooter, and then register his guns with the appropriate authorities. How.. Despicable!

They also tell me that a certain police official in Victoria keeps a very close eye on the database so that if a gun owner allows his shooter's licence to lapse, for whatever reason (including hospitalization and travel) he can send police out immediately to confiscate the now-illegal firearms. I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh...& I thought nothing fun ever happened on my birthday....

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to propose an international precident. I say all nations should register their armies. What type, how long they've had them, etc. All relevant information included. This way, we can keep track of who has what. It'll be completely voluntary, too.

Also, no nation should be allowed to have a nuclear arsenal. No one needs that much power anyways!! In fact, ballistic missles as well. We should take away these horrible weapons from all nations. They can kill people, and they are terribly dangerous.

Sounds absurd, doesn't it?
How many nations would agree to this?

------------------
"The lies I told are not falsehoods according to my definition of truth." Bill Clinton
"All stupid people are liberals, because they don't know any better." Rob Rodehorst
"Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - Dilbert, Scott Adams

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Also, no nation should be allowed to have a nuclear arsenal. No one needs that much power anyways!! In fact, ballistic missles as well. We should take away these horrible weapons from all nations. They can kill people, and they are terribly dangerous."

"Sounds absurd, doesn't it?"

Um...no? Brilliant, I'd say. Also unworkably utopian. Still a good idea.

"How many nations would agree to this?"

Aside from Brazil and Argentina and South Africa? (All nations which voluntarily ended their nuclear weapons program after suitable international pressure, I believe. Though my recollection is a bit rusty, and it might only be one of these nations.) It depends on how sweet the offer is. Don't have nukes or we'll kick your ass won't entice as many nations as don't have nukes and we'll set up a sweet trade deal. Flies, vinegar, honey, etc.

Do you, then, think that every nation has a right to a nuclear arsenal? I don't mean to sound snippy, I'm genuinely curious. This is something I was thinking about the other day. If so, you are at odds with, well, every nuclear power. Consider the fuss raised over Pakistan and India. And I'm willing to bet large sums of money that both of those nations will be on the side of the other nuclear powers when the next nation decides to build a few warheads.

Most nations, it seems, simply don't need to have any nuclear weapons on hand. In the current geopolitical climate, any nation using them in a war is going to be an instant pariah. And while they're good for intimidating enemy nations, there aren't too many enemy nations around. A glance at the map shows that most conflicts these days are internal, and not the sort where really, really big bombs are all that useful. (You wouldn't want to be using nuclear bombs to clear out a neighborhood of Bosnian Muslims when they're just a few blocks away from your own home, etc.)

------------------
I am not good with English but excuses me. I hate you whom think bad of the gods of the thunder known under the name of ""Metallica"". Good tape of ""Metallica"" is ""Load"", that you like it or not. A much better tape of Metallica ""Load"" than overrated the tape known under the name of ""Iron Maiden"" ""Powerslave"". You all are penis for the bad one of thought about ""Lars"". ""Lars"" can take a cucumber in bottom of his throat without reflex of muzzle. Lars can too take cucumber in bottom with no stretching of bottom hole sphincter muscle. Thanks for reading.
--
an anonymous fan
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm saving all my love for you.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"any nation using them in a war is going to be an instant pariah"

Sort of like when I used the planet buster on you in Alpha Centauri.

------------------
Oh, fiddle faddle, everyone knows that our mutants have flippers. Oops, I've said too much.....
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose my point wasn't clear.

To get rid of ALL nukes, you must have every nation do so, or it won't work.

To get rid of ALL guns, you must have every individual do so, or it won't work.

I'll give up my right to a gun when the outlaws give them up too. Otherwise, I'd rather have a more level playing field.

------------------
"The lies I told are not falsehoods according to my definition of truth." Bill Clinton
"All stupid people are liberals, because they don't know any better." Rob Rodehorst
"Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - Dilbert, Scott Adams

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because something isn't easy, doesn't mean we shouldn't at least try.

With your kind of mentality, the celebrated land-mine ban/agreement which was just created a year ago would never have been created. (Notice that the United States still refuses to sign it)

On a more significant point, that is the general intent of the various START-style treaties that the States have been involved in.

Gun control (or the reduction of nuclear weapons) does not have to be an all or nothing procedure. All you have to do is reduce the number of weapons in the hands of amateur criminals (ok...thats an odd sounding term, insert whatever is the reverse of professional criminals.)

------------------
1957: The space age begins when the first artificial satellite, Sputnik 1, is placed in orbit by the Soviet Union on October 4. Our German rocket scientists get very
annoyed with their German rocket scientists. � Outpost

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those who beat their swords into plowshears usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.

That is all.

------------------
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cynicism at its finest.

------------------
Oh, fiddle faddle, everyone knows that our mutants have flippers. Oops, I've said too much.....
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited July 21, 2000).]

Omega
Member # 91

But borne out by histroy, nonetheless.

And before anyone brings it up, it isn't paranoid to think that there are people that will take advantage of you if given the chance. It's stupid to think there aren't. It WOULD, however, be paranoid to think that EVERYONE will take advantage of you if given the chance. There's a big difference.

------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shrug* Ghandi did pretty well without "swords"....

The problem with having a big military, even for self-defense is that you always end up using it when you've got nothing else to do. Its essentially a self-fulfilling prophecy.

We had feudalism which created a class of knights. Without anyone to fight, these knights couldn't just sit around twiddling their thumbs, so they went out and tried to find a fight anywhere they could.

Its the same today, any looney without anything to do (and needing to boost his popularity) can lob a few Tomahawk missiles at Afganistan, or Iraq, or who knows where. (see: Wag The Dog)

Just like with giving citizens guns. You end up with people shooting their pizza-delivery or paper-delivery people. Everybody wants to be a bloody hero.

------------------
1957: The space age begins when the first artificial satellite, Sputnik 1, is placed in orbit by the Soviet Union on October 4. Our German rocket scientists get very
annoyed with their German rocket scientists. � Outpost

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

No nation would willingly give up its right to protect itself, and neither would any rogue nation give up its right to be aggressive. It is impossible to take away all the dangerous weapons out there, once they come out. Sort of like a Pandora's Box.

I'd like to see the government try to take away all the criminal's guns... But first, they'd start on the easy targets, like Mr. Jones on 5th Street, Smalltown, USA, who has had the gun for 12 years, uses it for hunting and target shooting. He also has a wife and 3 kids and works at Factory, Inc. etc. etc.

Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have them.

------------------

Omega
Member # 91

"Just like with giving citizens guns. You end up with people shooting their pizza-delivery or paper-delivery people."

True, but you also end up with several hundred, if not thousand, times MORE crimes prevented by citizens with guns than accidents by citizens with guns.

------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps