Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Why is Bush's "Intellectuality" an issue, and Gore's constant lying is not? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Why is Bush's "Intellectuality" an issue, and Gore's constant lying is not?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that the military SHOULDN'T have been downsized from it's coldwar height. Bush was doing just that during his admin. But he was doing it in a slow, safe, logical way. Clinton simply started closing based pel-mel, hit us with a few "draconian cuts", and now our military is in shambles.

------------------
Pilot: You're sure they were Americans, eh?
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
Pilot: Americans it is.
- "due South"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankly, First has a point. Bush can be a mumbo-jumbo tongue-twisting syllable-rolling person, but it doesn't make him a "bad" politician. On the other hand, charisma is important, a sense of knowing what the job is and how it needs to be done, something that is somewhat lacking in Gore. So if Bush had the better platform than Gore (by my standards, that is ), Bush would get my vote, no matter how much Gore teases bush about that so called "llllaaaaaahhhhhkkkkkkbbbbaaaaaxxxxxx!!!!!!"

But of course, this is an American election. We have our own matters to tend to.

As for Gore's so-called lies that I have so far never heard about.....

He lies about his mother-in-law and his dog taking the same drug.

Could be a possibility. Was it pennicilin?

He lies about Winifred Skinner having to collect cans to pay for her prescriptions.

Who is Winifred Skinner and where is she from?

He lies about discovering the Love Canal

BAH!!!!! So he likes to joke around. Can someone confirm where and when he said this?

He lies about inventing the Internet

He should be nuked for saying that.

He lies about himself and Tipper being the model couple in Love Story

That's his opinion. I could say that my gf and I are the model couple in Love Story too. I don't take it as a blatant lie, not yet, that is.

He lies about authoring the Earned Income Tax Credit

No comment. I have no knowledge of this whatsoever.

He lies about helping to create the Strategic Petroleum Reserves.

I think I'll have to agree on this one. Mention was made that the US had plenty of strategic reserves since the 50s (or somthin like that).

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He lies about himself and Tipper being the model couple in Love Story

That's his opinion. I could say that my gf and I are the model couple in Love Story too. I don't take it as a blatant lie, not yet, that is.

No, I believe what he was claiming was that he and Tipper were the model for story. As in, it was based off of their lives.

------------------
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
-Yasir Arafat on religious wars

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JR Question:
If politicians aren't supposed to get credit for the economy during their time, from posts prior to your OCT 26th post, then why does Bush get credit for the first half of your OCT 26th post? Regardless if they all do or not.
I have always thought that employment and new housing were part of a good economy, which means that no politician can take credit for it, since it's economy based.

Is it Nationally politicians don't get the economic credit, but state leaders do?

------------------
Stupid bastards and religious freaks,
so safe in their castle keeps...

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tahna:

The drug was called Lodine. The campaign has refused to comment on whether his mother-in-law OR the dog actually use the drug. The problem is with the numbers, since he actually pulled them straight out of a Democrat report, not from any factual source.

"Who is Winifred Skinner and where is she from?"

Skinner was a "seasoned citizen" he supposedly found somewhere who he said had to collect cans to pay for her perscription drugs. This was a lie. She did pick up cans while walking, and she did turn them in for money, but so does my grandfather. Both reasons are the same: they don't need the money, they simply don't like seeing trash on the road. The woman was hardly poor: she drove her winnebago to the first debate.

"BAH!!!!! So he likes to joke around. Can someone confirm where and when he said this?"

IIRC, he was talking about his oh so WONDERFUL environmental record. "I discovered a little place called Love Canal." He had nothing to do with the discovery of the problems at Love Canal.

"He lies about himself and Tipper being the model couple in Love Story."

Well, this is more of a half-truth. The male lead was based on a composite of him and his roommate (Tommy Lee Jones), and mainly the roommate. Tipper had nothing to do with it.

"He lies about authoring the Earned Income Tax Credit."

Yeah, he said he created this, when in fact it became law before he was even elected.

"He lies about helping to create the Strategic Petroleum Reserves."

Same here.

Ritten:

Well, you have to consider the turnaround. Things were abysmal before he got into office. Now I know it's a sort of post hoc, ergo proptor hoc, but if "B" follows "A", it's at least possible that "A" caused "B". Thus if things turned around after Bush started implementing policy, then it's likely (but not definite) that it was BECAUSE of that policy. And don't bring up Clinton. The recession was over before he even started running, much less implemented policy.

------------------
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
- "due South"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the recession was over, then why did "No New Taxes" get voted out of office? What did he fuck up to lose his support after the Gulf War? Oh, I forgot, he forgot to FINISH the gulf war so we had to go back a couple years ago and bomb 'em again ...

------------------
Read My Lips: NO NEW TEXANS!
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

Omega
Member # 91

Again, you remain uninformed...

The reason he got voted out of office was that CLINTON LIED (oh, there's a surprise) about the economy. People like, oh, say, you believed him when he said that the recession was still on. So it's uninformed, ignorant people like you that got Bill elected in the first place.

------------------
- "due South"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"uninformed, ignorant people......."

Watch your mouth, Omega.

So let me guess, Liberals/Democrats are always ignorant liars and Conservatives/Republicans are always good people... right.

Liars are on both sides of the fence, Omega. It is unfortunate that you have never seen a ignorant, lying conservative before.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited October 31, 2000).]

Omega
Member # 91

"So let me guess, Liberals/Democrats are always ignorant liars..."

I never said "ignorant liars". I said "ignorant and uninformed". That describes JK, and a good 80% of the people who vote Democrat.

------------------
- "due South"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GO BLANKET STATEMENTS!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!!

Dude, you're being ignorant right now. Stop it, or you'll be no better than the "Liberal scum" you oppose.

------------------
Equality, Cooperation & Benevolence.

Vote Communist Party of America 2000.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's enough, kids. The rule of the flameboard is that you can flame issues, not people.

First off, there are more reasons why Bush Sr. lost against Clinton, one of them being a man named Ross Perot. Not only that, Bush had a negative campaign, which doesn't always work. Also, Clinton is masterful at playing on the emotions of the populous, which makes him a great liar.

Omega, you seem to not understand something. I'm going to offer some advice, take it or leave it.

The arguments you pose do not convince people of your point of view when you resort to calling them 'ignorant and uninformed.' This doesn't help your cause very much, as it only makes people mad at you. I suggest assuming your opponent has the reasoning capability that you do, and present your facts. If they don't get it, just give it up. People stop listening after you've beaten them upside the head for so long. Case in point; My argument against Jeff Kardde didn't change his mind, it only shut him up. People are stubborn when you prove them wrong, but at least it will create some doubt in their argument.

------------------
Intelligence, Integrity, Responsibility.
Vote Bush/Cheney 2000

Omega
Member # 91

I'm not calling anyone ignorant or uninformed because they don't agree with me. I'm calling him that because HE IS. What else do you call someone who apparently knows nothing about the issues he tries to argue?

------------------
- "due South"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I usually just call you "Omega"...but if you have a preference...?

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm proud I voted for Bill Clinton. Hey, maybe Dole wouldn't have been that bad ... least Bush wouldn't be running for office this year ...

Let's see ... ignorant conservatives ...

How about Rush Limbaugh and Dr. Laura? They both fit the bill pretty well.

But, hey, what do I know? I'm ignorant and uninformed.

Do I agree with what the other Jeff has said? Not really, I believe most of the "lies" Gore has said have been misquotes taken out of context ... i.e, he WAS a model for Oliver Barret in "Love Story" (ask Erich Segal), and he NEVER claimed to invent the internet ... although he did push for government backing. EVEN NEWT GINGRICH has "publicly given Gore credit for encouraging the development of the internet" (Newsweek, Nov. 6, 2000), and also Phjillip Hallam-Baker (who helped create the WWW) has "called the smearing of Gore's reputation 'a calculated piece of political propaganda to deny Gore credit for what is probably his biggest achievement.'"

Does this mean I think JeffR is an ignorant, uninformed conservative? No, I think he's a nice guy, very passionate about what he believes, who is rooting for the wrong guy (sorry, Jeff, but that's how I stand ... "No New Texans" and all)

Note, Omega, I didn't say (and Jeff, this isn't an attack): "JeffR, you smell funny and Phillip Hallam-Baker and Newty-boy back up Gore, so go stuff it!"

And, would this be an ad-homenium that you threw against me Omega? Tsk tsk.

Well informed enough for ya'?

And you also need to remember that Gore crossed party lines to support George Bush in the Gulf War ... even though he was warned it could cost him another presidential nomination (his first was in '88), he stood by his guns, and yes, was one of only 9 Democrats to back George ... (Joe Lieberman was another).

See? Not a nasty word against ya' Omega.

------------------
Read My Lips: NO NEW TEXANS!
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited October 31, 2000).]

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deep breaths, people. Deep breaths. We live in different realities. Just let it go.

------------------
"The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."
--Albert Eistein

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps