Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Gun Control (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Gun Control
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And you're certainly not going to argue that the best circumstances are those under which ONLY the criminals have guns. We've seen what that does in Brittain."

Er, we have?

"Do you really want only people who have no respect for the law to be the only ones with guns? You know, like in England?"

It's true. Gangs are rampant. My parents have been shot muiltiple times this week alone. Damn it.

Now, people didn't kick up much of a fuss when guns were (essentially) banned over here. They thought it was a Good Thing. Now, either everyone in Britain is a moron, or the government is obviously controlling us with the floride in the drinking water, so that when they announce that Tony Blair is really Hitler's son, and he declares matrial law, and that we know live in a dictatorship, we won't be able to do anything (possibly due to the flouride having stuck out teeth together. Or something).

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam:

When you've got unarmed cops up against criminals with automatics, yes, we have.

"Now, either everyone in Britain is a moron"

Oh, you set yourself up for that one.

So tell me, Liam. Who in Brittain owns the majority of the guns, besides your military?

------------------
Pilot: You're sure they were Americans, eh?
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
Pilot: Americans it is.
- "due South"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some time ago, I posted an article from a London paper, complete with references, about the fact that the UK was being flooded with millions of illegal handguns since the ban, and that gun use among gangs was steadily increasing. You should be able to go find that in whatever archives exist, your own self.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First: Just because the wording of the second amendment is a bit off, the spirit is that people were allowed to keep guns because, if there was another war, they were going to need them in order to be part of the well-regulated militiae.

Omega: Is that USS Brittain, the misspelled starship?

------------------
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
-Yasir Arafat on religious wars

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 2nd Amendment

or
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

------------------
Stupid bastards and religious freaks,
so safe in their castle keeps...

[Fixed link]

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited October 29, 2000).]

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reworded to mean exactly the same thing:

Because a well regulated militia is nesecary to maintain the freedom of the people, the government may not infringe upon the people's rights to own and carry weapons.

Anyone think that this doesn't mean the same, thing before I go on?

TSN:

What is your basis for that conclusion? 'Cause I'm basing mine on the actual wording of the law, and the words of the people who made it.

------------------
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
- "due South"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if that's the way you're going to be...

Now that we have an outrageously well-funded military to defend us, a "well-regulated militia" is not necessary any longer, therefore this amendment ought to be repealed, anyway.

------------------
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that you seem to be missing the point.

The Gentlemen that wrote this Amendment had recently overthrown their Government, which is the purpose of the Second Amendment. This is so we have the ability to do like we did, because they wanted us to have the same chance we did. They knew, above everyone else, that a Government can go out of control, and We the people must have a way to protect ourselves from it.

This clause has two points in it, the states get a well regulated militia, the National Guard, and the people of the US have the right to keep and bare arms.

If you take the Second Amendment at face value you are snubbing your nose at Washington, telling him that what he and his associates did was for nothing. And by repealing it you are telling these same men that we might have just as well remained under British rule, for now, just over 200 years later, we will allow our government to do whatever it wants and we will take it.

In the gasoline thread we bitched about the price of gas, but we never talked about the taxes added on to it. Which, yes, someplaces suspended or lowered. But taxes were the last straw then.

So, in conclusion, gun control is a form of Government we can not have, looking at our founding fathers point of view.

------------------
Stupid bastards and religious freaks,
so safe in their castle keeps...

Omega
Member # 91

Ritty's right. You have to look at the government like... like a reformed criminal that you need to do a job for you. You're gonna let them do the job, but you also want insurance in the event that they can't be trusted. Thus privately owned guns.

Tim:

"Now that we have an outrageously well-funded military to defend us, a "well-regulated militia" is not necessary any longer, therefore this amendment ought to be repealed, anyway."

My friend, your irrationality never ceases to amaze me. As we've been through before, privately owned guns are to defend your rights, against threats from whatever quarter. A: that's not the military's job. The intent of the military is to defend us from EXTERNAL threats, of which there are thankfully few. B: there is NO organization capable of defending you against all threats. The only sure way to do it is to do it yourself. C: What if the military itself BECAME the threat?

Tell me, Tim: give me the sequence of events that you think would follow the repellation of the second ammendment?

Why are you libs so set on eliminating my right to own a gun that you become irrational, anyway? I don't see it.

------------------
- "due South"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Americans are gay.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do I get the feeling that Professor Farnsworth is talking to one of Omega's descendants in this WAV?

------------------
"Two parts slush...one part solid ice...one part hard-packed snow...a dash of assorted debris...sculpt into sphere, and serve at high velocity without warning." --Calvin

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

*LMAO@Shik's WAV*

Ultra: Last I checked, there were gays in pretty much every country. What's that got to do w/ guns?

Omega:

"Tell me, Tim: give me the sequence of events that you think would follow the repellation of the second ammendment?"

Er... I don't know. WTF does "repellation" mean?

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah. Americans have their own special type of "ooh, I'm so shallow, please define me" type of gayness.

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stand humbly corrected.

But it's less a "define me", as a "we need ta fai'ght 'gainst tha oppresive gov'ment.".

------------------
"Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps."
- Tiger Woods

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I was talking on an individual level. At least as shown by the people on the American Big Brother. Yeesh.

In their defense though, they did make the Simpsons. So it's not all bad.

------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps