Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » First Harry Potter, and now this. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First Harry Potter, and now this.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Chad was the cool kid. Right up there with Cory.

The loser kid in our school was always called Martin. Or Keith.

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not too surprising to me.... I'm more surprised that they've been allowed to WEAR costumes 'til now. I was still in elementary school when my school district banned the wearing of Halloween costumes. It's a good point they bring up about kids being fidgity and distracted by costumes. I know I always was.... and the school wasn't completely trying to cut out Halloween festivities.... they still brought in special story tellers and made a special day out of it. If the kids can't wear their costumes to school, then life goes on.... worse things have happened.

~LOA

------------------
"The purple elephants have conquered my pants! Weasels to the rescue!!!" ~TSN, Oct. 23, 2000

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you know it's just one day that kids get to wear costumes. It's like saying why don't we abolish vacations because kids are fidgety on the last day of school.

------------------
"The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."
--Albert Eistein

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. That's the reason they USED, not the REAL reason. The real reason is that they didn't want some lame-ass pseudo-Christian Fundie or some other zero-baseline religion that looks upon Halloween as 'evil' because it's based upon a Christianized pagan holiday (just like Yule and Eostre became Christmas and Easter Sunday, but they ignore that) pitching a fit and giving them bad publicity.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's always about those Fundies.

or maybe it IS partially rooted in political correctness, as happened in some Ohio school districts *years* ago: Kids couldn't dress as hobos because (as the overly-sensitive spokesperson for the district said "A hobo is just a homeless person.")

No witches, because that's a stereotype of the Wiccans. No cowboys, because that's offensive to the Indians. Well, not the real Indians, but to white people who feel that they should be insensed on the Indians' behalf. No ghosts or skeletons: too disturbing. etc, etc.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right, there's probably a bit of both..

But the PC crowd generally don't ban Halloween, they just set up massively restrictive costume limitations.

The Fundies try to do away with the thing entirely.

And those of us who are normal and just want to enjoy ourselves stand back and gape in amazement/amusement.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, we've never worn costumes on Halloween. I think it's an American thing.

Also, when we do have Halloween parties, everyone goes as something "scary", whereas in the US, Halloween fancy dress seems to allow anything.

But that's not interesting.

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps