Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Wow (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Wow
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://a802.g.akamai.net/7/802/2068/974163821/www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/today/countymap.Par.0001.ImageFile.gif

------------------
"Al Gore cost me the election." - Ralph Nader

[This message has been edited by Jeff Raven (edited November 14, 2000).]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big freakin whoop.

Acreage can't vote.

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited November 14, 2000).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Gore still has a chance to win the election with this? Please tell me that you are doubting the American election system...

------------------
Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students and they check out books and then they learn things."
Giles: "I was beginning to suspect that was a myth."
- Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gore still has a chance --

That shows landmass, not population.

Urban areas tend to vote Democratic, rural Republican.

Hell, Gore got 83% of the Baltimore City vote ... and in MD, all you need are Balt. City, Howard, Baltimore Counties, and PG and Montgomery Counties and you get the electorates ... and those are all heavily democratic, while the rest are republican (but the republican counties are very sparsely populated)

Look at Md on the map ... just a couple splotches for Gore, yet Gore got 57% of the MD vote! Don't believe maps like these, they're Rush Limbaugh's way of comforting himself.

Besides, didn't you see the popular vote breakdown?

------------------
"When they come, kill them. We're not here to make friends." -- Connor

"But you're my friend." -- Duncan

"Count yourself lucky." -- Connor

Highlander: The Element of Fire

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited November 14, 2000).]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, JeffKardde... no.

This goes to show why we need the electoral college... This way rural areas don't get swallowed by the vote of urban areas.

------------------
"Al Gore cost me the election." - Ralph Nader

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or why the Republicans need to try to crack the cities. Popular vote should elect the president, otherwise your vote for the president DOESN'T count, if the ECs can elect whomever they want, regardless.

Maybe in 04 someone should run ads that say:
"Don't vote for any Presidential Canaidate, show the world what we think of the EC."

Then it would look like this
Bush 5%
Gore 5%
Nader 1%
No One 89%

------------------
I am going to buy Japanese cars from now on, because the auto workers got the day off to vote and the state went to Gore, so I want to see how many we can get unemployed.
From The Port Huron Times-Herald talk back section.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeffR, maybe you misunderstood me ...

I don't mean to speak out against the EC.

What I mean is, the map gives a distorting view of how many people voted for Gore v Bush.

The map doesn't show population density, etcetra. Therefore, while its a nice display for Rush to throw around and rant about, that's all it is ... a nice display that doesn't accurately represent the numbers of people who voted.

------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

Yes, but I didn't insinuate either way... I was pointing out that it does look staggering.

You immediately attacked Rush Limbaugh because you saw 'www.rushlimbaugh.com' in the url, but you know niether what he said about it, nor what I meant by posting it.

The article I drew it from was about the importance of the Electoral College, in which Rush Limbaugh makes a good point...and I would have given the article, but unfortunately, they updated the page and the link is gone . Oh well, not like you'd read it anyways

------------------
"I'm not like George Bush. If Bush loses, his life goes on. I will do anything to get elected." - Al Gore, 1999

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Actually, I did hear a bit about what Rush was talking about yesterday ... he was talking about how the vast majority of counties voted for Bush, not Gore, and he was talking about USA Today ... he completely ignored the actual number of votes, but I turned him off after a short period of time (Bon Jovi's "It's My Life!" is much better than Rush...)

Actually, I would read it. I'd just keep muttering, "what a big fat idiot you are, Rush" the whole time

Frankly, I see the map as why the EC might be a bad idea. I'm surprised Rush didn't hit upon that ... look at CA -- Gore didn't get that much area, but he got the state.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"This goes to show why we need the electoral college... This way rural areas don't get swallowed by the vote of urban areas."

Did you listen at all to the bit about Maryland? Because of the Electoral College, the rural votes were negated by the urban. Bush won all those rural counties, but Gore won the entire state, simply because of the urban votes. All the Bush votes out in the rural areas counted for jack shit, because of the Electoral College.

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited November 14, 2000).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Not that it would've mattered in this case, 'cuz Gore got the popular vote too, but yeah, the EC doesn't work in Maryland. As long as he's got Baltimore City, he's got the state essentially!

It also doesn't hurt that most of the Maryland colleges and universities (including UMCP, Towson, Morgan, etc) are VERY liberal.

------------------

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited November 14, 2000).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want a REAL extreme case, Alaska. 40% of the population in Ancorage.

------------------
Francesca: He was born on the tundra, that's where he belongs. You'll kill him if you take him to Toronto.
Thatcher: That's a bit drastic, don't you think?
Francesca: Look, I've been to Toronto. Trust me, nothing can survive there. - "due South"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, it also shows what would be gained if we'd just nuke the major cities and cut our losses.

That's a joke, kids.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Hmmmmm ...

I wonder ...

------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Of course, it also shows what would be gained if we'd just nuke the major cities and cut our losses

Ah yes, I can see how the lack of culture, proper grammar and front teeth can positively affect your country.

------------------
Communism. Who wouldn't like their neighbour thrown into a goulag?

Please vote for the Communist Party of Canada This November 27th.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps