Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Heart of the Republican Empire... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Heart of the Republican Empire...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Omega, Clinton didn't have a heart attack during the campaign, either. Which is the same reason that Dubya's health condition isn't being debated (at least not that I know of) -- neither of those candidates has been to the hospital with heart problems during the campaign, and then now a month into the administration.

Hey, it's Cheney's business if he wants to stay in office. However, his health is poor. That's a matter of record. There is no debating it. He wants to injure his health by staying in the campaign, and ... well, that's his business. It won't be a loss if Cheney kills himself keeping up his pace.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grandfather on my father's side was in near-perfect health, until he had ONE 'surprise' heart attack, and died at 49.

My gf's father has had a broken back, cataracts, several cardiac incidents' and has undergone at least three angioplasties and heart catheterizations... and is still a stubborn old grouch at 88.

Health, schmelth.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but your gf's father isn't being asked to be Vice President of your country. Cheney is, and it's clear that his health is an issue, especially in such a high pressure job.

------------------
The Worlds Ten Greatest 'Fucks' #3

What a stupid place to plant a fucking tree - Marc Bolan

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grandfather on my father's side was in near-perfect health, until he had ONE 'surprise' heart attack, and died at 49.

Just out of curiousity, but did he say he was in near-perfect health, or a doctor?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The military doctors did. My dad's dad flew them big old bombers. B-22, etc.

Mind you, this DID happen before certain techniques that might have led to a different diagnosis were adequately developed.

I'm interested in knowing if the same people who want Cheney to step down now would have wanted FDR and/or Wilson (both were pretty sickly) to step down as well.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If either of them had been vice presidents at the time, absolutely.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

*laugh* PLEASE tell me you're kidding.

They were Presidents at the time, ya'know.
(Admittedly, FDR DID die in office... in his fourth term.)

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I believe Wilson had a stroke during his term, rendering one side of his body useless, and his wife was more-or-less in charge for part of his presidency. Or am I remembering incorrectly?

------------------
"...I know this board in secret, intimate ways which are beyond your comprehension.... Let's just say that people should *not* be telling me what to do; it should always be the other way around."
-"Red Quacker", conspiracy theorist and contemporary lunatic

Right
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to point out that not many people knew of FDR's true medical condition: the news that he was in a wheelchair nearly killed my grandfather, who idolized the man.

But then again, FDR is hardly the same as Cheney. Even die-hard Republicans (such as my grandad) who lived through the Great Depression and the War loved the man. Speak ill of FDR, and you'd likely find yourself with a shotgun in your face if Grandad had his way ... of course, speak well of Clinton or Gore (or George W.), and you'd be facing the same shotgun again.

Not trying to make this too political, but no, if FDR were running for office (or in office) right now, his health would be a much bigger issue than it was 60 years ago, and the voices shouting for him to resign would be much louder than those today for Cheney to step down.

I do think that Cheney is putting his health on the line. That is of course his decision ... well, his and his family.

------------------
"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make them my friends?" - Abraham Lincoln

"America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room. Every time it wags its tail it knocks over a chair." - Arnold Toynbee

"Fighting for peace is like f***ing for virginity." - Anonymous

"Our bombs are smarter than [George W. Bush]. At least they can find Kuwait." - A. Whitney Brown

IP: Logged
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that's correct.

Wasn't there also one that had a life-threatening cancer?

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Then there was William Henry Harrison, who, while healthy when he was elected, was foolish enough to make a very long speech in very cold weather, without a coat, contracted pneumonia, and died after a month in office.

And there was some other president who served his term with a bullet lodged somewhere in his body.. whether it was from a failed assassination attempt or an old war wound, I'm not sure.

------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any references to FDR is comparing a different time to a different place. But please bear this in mind, his condition and that of Wilson brought about the interest in the health of the major elected leaders of the nation.

Cheney stays in office. Great. Someone to continue to wind the key in Double U every morning. However, if something happens to him, it is going to be a huge distraction to an administration who needs to avoid distractions as much as possible.

I think it's time to move on now.

------------------
I should've known you were the only one stupid enough to kidnap you! Now get down here so I can spank you in front of this gawking rabble
~ C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited March 07, 2001).]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could care less about whether or not Cheney is in office. All you guys seem to be arguing about whether he should or shouldn't.

Three words: It doesn't Matter

I wouldn't care less if Cheney worked himself so much that he just drops dead in the middle of Congress hearings and such. The point is that it is Cheney's choice to run as VP. He knows the risks, he lives with the risks. If he lives, then great. If he dies, then the country mourns (or at least half of it). And that's that.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited March 07, 2001).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's hardly that. The vice president has few official duties, but the most important one they do have is to be available to take over the office of the president at any time should it become necessary. How is that not a subject that's important to discuss?

Having said that, I don't think Cheney needs to resign. I don't think he really can, either. He's an integral part of the Bush White House.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there's the curious question of how he could be replaced. I mean, with a fifty-fifty split in the Senate, and no tie-breaker, we could end up with a deadlock until the '02 election.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps