Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Can of Worms... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Can of Worms...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shades of Gray, Omega.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm almost at a loss for words. Have you honestly never bothered to research ethical systems different from your own? Not even one?

------------------
"I finally see that what we thought was a fun way to celebrate our love was really an expression of hostility and disrespect toward Jesus."
--
Bill Metz, in The Onion
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Because what right have we to punish people who do wrong, if there is no wrong to begin with? What's the point of having morals at all, if they only apply selectively? If there is no right and wrong, then what's the point of government and law?"

This is why we have different countries (and different states). You do your thing, and we'll do ours, and we won't bother each other about it. Etc.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I remember my mum telling me 'don't wear that jacket, it doesn't go with your top.' And I said 'Screw you mum, I'll wear what I'll like'. And then I went and changed tops." - Liam Ka--thingy

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing. I've just been simultaneously lambasted for my own "irresponsibility" while having sex, and for having sex at all. Well, on the first charge, I can hardly be held to blame for the failure of a moulded piece of latex - unless Omeychops believe it was somehow divinely ordained and should be accepted as Fate? And as for having sex at all, unless for deliberate procreation, well I'm guilty. On the other hand, having observed Smega's rather nauseating attempst to cozy up to LOA, I'd say the chances of him ever being in a similar situation, whether deliberate or not, are slim to none.

------------------
"I do prefer the arse, but you can't dismiss the leg. They're joined at the hip, so to speak."

- Liam Kavanagh

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol, was that ment for Omega?

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've decided to kill you all. I'm allowed to, because my belief system says that's completely ok, and actually demands me to kill everyone I come into contact with. You can't hold me accountable because you must respect my belief system even if it is different from yours.

Bullshit. There are absolute rights and wrongs. Would anyone disagree that these absolutes are manifested by most of the Ten Commandments? Thou Shalt not Murder, Thou Shalt not Covet thy Neighbor's wife, etc?

------------------
"I'm not like George Bush. If he wins or loses, life goes on. I will do anything to win." - Al Gore, Newsweek, 1999

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, see, thats why you shouldn't have a gun. It makes it way to easy for you to kill us all.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that's why you SHOULD, so you can stop the extremely rare lunitics from killing you.

Honestly, you seem to think that if you put a gun into the hands of a normal citizen, they become a homicidal maniac, but if you take the gun away, they become normal again...

------------------
"You know, you--you let a wolf save your life, they make you pay and pay and pay..."
- Fraser, "due South"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"This is why we have different countries (and different states). You do your thing, and we'll do ours, and we won't bother each other about it. Etc."

So you're saying anything the 'people' in a country (never mind that the 'people' rarely make these kinds of decisions anyway) decide to do to themselves inside the boundaries of their own country, is okay, and we shouldn't get involved?

Need I say that this isn't a workable solution?
Need I say how many million MORE people would have died if we'd all followed that advice in 1930-s Germany, 1990's Rwanda, Yugoslavia, etc etc?

Oh, wait, we DID follow that example in Rwanda.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I've decided to kill you all. I'm allowed to, because my belief system says that's completely ok, and actually demands me to kill everyone I come into contact with."

You can do this with other people who share your belief system, but if you try it with those who don't, expect trouble.

"So you're saying anything the 'people' in a country (never mind that the 'people' rarely make these kinds of decisions anyway)

Admittedly, this depends on the assumption that the people can choose their form of government, and leave at any time they wish.

"decide to do to themselves inside the boundaries of their own country, is okay, and we shouldn't get involved?"

Yes. I mean, if they ask for help or whatever, that's a different story, but I think it's arrogant to think that you can go around being the ultimate moral arbiter...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I remember my mum telling me 'don't wear that jacket, it doesn't go with your top.' And I said 'Screw you mum, I'll wear what I'll like'. And then I went and changed tops." - Liam Ka--thingy

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'That they can leave whenever they wish' is, one must admit, a flimsy assumption, and certainly not true in most countries that we'd have to worry about, where dictatorship is the norm. It wasn't true in Cold-War Eastern Europe...

And who decides what 'asking for help' is? How many people does it take to ask to intervene? 1?, 100?, 1000?, all of them?

And what if the people who don't want you intervening control the major sources of information out of that country?

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, there you go...if the government is working against the will of the people (and you're absolutely sure of it), I suppose intervention would be justified.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

How about if the government of that country, acting WITH the will of the people, (or at least, with their silence, implying consent), invades another country and subjugates ITS people?

China-Tibet
Iraq-Kuwait
USSR-Afghanistan
N. Korea-S. Korea

What if a government, with a majority of its people's consent, abuses a minority of its people?

Pre Civil-War US, perhaps even pre-civil rights act Southern US
Germany c,1939
Pinochet Chile
China again

Tell you what, if the hypothetical "White Christian" USA ever comes to pass, PLEASE invade!

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeffR: Hey... What's wrong w/ coveting? *L*

------------------
"It's like LSD refined into HTML form."
-Simon Sizer, regarding superbad.com, 12-Dec-2000

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No moral law is absolute. Thou shall not kill. Except in self defense. Or in times of war. Honor thy father and mother. Except if your parents happen to be genocidal warlords, and expect you to do the right thing by joining the family business. Even the Golden Rule breaks down when what you want and what others want are two seperate things. In the end, all morality is personal. This is a Good Thing. Our moral laws may be digital, but we live in an analog world.

------------------
"I finally see that what we thought was a fun way to celebrate our love was really an expression of hostility and disrespect toward Jesus."
--
Bill Metz, in The Onion
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps