Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Arky Malarkey (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Arky Malarkey
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, didn't "evil" fish survive the flood? Is that where all the nastiness in the world came from? Evil salmon?

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Evil Salmon? Um.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Evil pilot fish.

WA it's not.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could get involved in this but I'm not sure if I really want to. No matter what type of scientific data we science type folks bring in, those that are arguing against it will find someway to dispute it. Oh carbon dating is based on a time developed by scientist so it is going to prove what they want it to. I personally don't put much "faith" in the bible as a legitamite source of information. Anything that has been put together by man is suceptable to his own faults. And because there is no proof and I mean NO Proof that the bible suddenly appear through gods great graces, I'm going to believe that it was man that made it.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was insprational writing, like any good author that writes what becomes a well read/studied/followed work gets when pen is put to paper.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

[This message has been edited by Ritten (edited January 15, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JK:

And evolved into how we look today.

You don't seem to know that there's a difference between traits being shared among family groups and actual "evolution." It's called "microevolution", as opposed to "macroevolution". Look it up.

Isn't natural selection a Darwinian idea?

Yes. Darwin DID have some decent ideas. Different species arising through evolution just wasn't one of them, nor was it a logical outgrowth of them.

Just because members of a certain species that have a certain trait are more likely to survive in a certain environment doesn't mean that they're also more likely to become incapable of reproducing with other specimines, and thus forming a new species.

Tim:

"Natural selection", "evolution", "survival of the fittest"... They're all pretty much the same thing.

No, they're not. See above.

Rob:

Still, the space problem is there. Especially if you're bringing all the sauropods on board...

Unless, of course, you bring young, or even unhatched eggs. No need to feed them, eh?

There's also the question of exactly what would happen to all the species once they were in a completely enclosed environment, with no external time signatures. Have any experiments been done to that effect?

Nimrod:

I don't understand, dinos were already extinct by the time of the flood, weren't they?

Not necessarily. They could have been extinct, or they could have been brought as eggs, and later died out. Either way...

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suddenly it's 1999 again. If the Flameboard archives stretched back far enough, we could just cut and paste the identical arguments from older threads into this one.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I've heard that unicorns may be modified goats. There's this couple who found that earlier depictions of unicorns looked more like goats than horses, and that horns on kids have not yet connected to the skull. So they did some surface surgical work, removed one horn and moved the other to the middle. And viola, you've got a unicorn.

------------------
"Life end when you die. But imagination share with others, live forever."
--Quan, Final Fantasy IX

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Just because members of a certain species that have a certain trait are more likely to survive in a certain environment doesn't mean that they're also more likely to become incapable of reproducing with other specimines, and thus forming a new species."

As many words as you used, this basically amounts to saying "You're wrong.". Well, my response to that is, "No, you're wrong.".

Besides, what makes you think you get to define "species". If the biologists classify horses and donkeys as different species, despite their ability to reproduce, who are you to refute it? They are the ones who decide the definition of "species" and, if they say two creatures who can procreate together are separate species, they're separate species. That's how it works.

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: Who would incubate the eggs? At the proper temperature? for 40 straight days?

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're talking about cold-blooded creatures, First. No incubation necessary.

Oh, and they were on the ark for more like a year, BTW.

Tim:

Besides, what makes you think you get to define "species".

Who says I need to? You want to use the definition from the screwed-up classification system, fine, but my definition is what is aplicable to the argument at hand. Noah wouldn't have needed to pick up every scientifically classified species on the planet. He would just have needed to pick up every legitimately different species on the planet. As I've shown, there is a great difference.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So he could've scooped up two house cats instead of two tigers or two lions? Yeah, that would help save space now that I think about it ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Omega
Member # 91

That's such a stupid statement, and has so utterly little to do with anything I've said, that I'm not even going to waste time addressing his fictional point. 'Course, if anyone else thinks that JK has a legitimate point here, then I may have to stamp out the ignorance before it spreads further, but until then...

You want to show him his error, Rob?

------------------
-Thomas Jefferson

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Oh, and they were on the ark for more like a year, BTW."

I hereby officially bestow upon Omega the distinguished title of "Smeghead".

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, it was more like half a year (40 days and 40 nights, along with 150 days for the waters to leave. Total=190 days. 6 months and 10 days)

------------------
I looked at my son, and said, "My god, he's hung like a bear."
"That's the umbillical cord, Mr. Williams."

-Robin Williams, "A Night at the Met" 1986

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps