Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Arky Malarkey (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Arky Malarkey
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We're talking about cold-blooded creatures, First. No incubation necessary."

BZZZZZT!

Thy data is outdated.
Increasing evidence suggests that Saurians were warm-blooded, more like birds (who need incubation) than reptiles (some of whom need incubation or a steadily maintained temperature, [some snakes, some crocidilians, some turtles] as well.)

And they would hatch after considerably less than a year, and require prodigious amounts of food to grow healthily. Especially the sauropods.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited January 16, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim:

OK, we'll figure fourty days, since you seem to like that number better. Thanks, Tim, that makes my job a little easier.

SB:

Genesis 7:11-13

"In the six hundretdth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened. And rain fell on the earth for fourty days and fourty nights. On that very day, Noah and his sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth, together with his wife and the wives of his three sons, entered the ark."

Genesis 8:13-15

"By the first day of the first month of Noah's six hundred and first year, the water had dried up from the earth. Noah then removed the covering from the ark and saw that the surface of the ground was dry. By the twenty-seventh day of the second month, the earth was completely dry. Then God said to Noah, "Come out of the ark, you and your wife and your sons and their wives."

Thus they were in the ark for the period between the seventeenth day of the second month of Noah's 600th year, and the twenty-seventh day of the second month of Noah's 601st year. This works out to around 375 days, or a little over a year.

Rob:

Increasing evidence suggests that Saurians were warm-blooded

I would be interested in knowing upon what evidence you base this.

And they would hatch after considerably less than a year

Again, on what do you base this?

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega,

If you couldn't recongize that as sarcasm, maybe you need to get out more.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: There's no such word as "fourty". And my point was that the times given in the bible cannot be trusted like that. I mean, everyone but rabid fundamentalists knows that "forty" is a symbolic number. So, if they used that over and over to say "a long time", how do you know they didn't make up the other dates as well, simply to suggest a long time?

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my point was that the times given in the bible cannot be trusted like that.

This is, of course, simply your opinion, which I do not share.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: Have you read anything about Dinosaurs that was published within the last 10 years? (By Paleontologists, I mean, not by Creationists)

How about a 4-chambered heart, for starters...

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Omega
Member # 91

I didn't deny the validity of your evidence, Rob. I just asked to see it, so that I could judge for myself. Got a source for me?

------------------
-Thomas Jefferson

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One - Two - Three disagree with First. - Four - Four Chambered Heart - Five agree with First.

I got tired of this so I moved on, but there were others to post....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

[This message has been edited by Ritten (edited January 16, 2001).]

Omega
Member # 91

So it looks like the only thing that can be considered evidence either way would be the little bone scroll in the nose. Present in all warm-blooded creatures, and absent in all cold-blooded creatures and dinos. I wouldn't call it conclusive evidence, by any means, but it seems to me that dinosaurs were most likely cold-blooded

------------------
-Thomas Jefferson

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can you dismiss that they would hatch and grow in less than a year? Are you or the Bible anywhere near an expert or at least knowledgable in them?
I would take Jack Horner over the Bible on dinosaurs any day.

Saying science is wrong and religion is right when neither has absolute proof is totally biased towards religion. Unless God himself came down and said "this is so" then the Bible can't be anymore trusted than Darwinism, right? Both are man made and therefore fallible, correct? The bible was written by man, even if the words were said to be God's, does this mean a errorable human would be exact in writing?
Oh and let's not forget how much fun Hebrew and translating it is either. How many words have several meanings again?

[This message has been edited by TLE (edited January 17, 2001).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that I have always been curious about, and have asked figures in all religions, and have never been given an answer that I liked.

How long is a God's day to us?

Since some were not arrogant enough to say 24 hours I asked them that if God had made all the beasts before he made man was there a chance of evolution happening to those things He created? A few were arrogant enough to say that God would create them all without being flexible and adaptive in anyway.

Arrogance seems to run thickly in the religious world, as far as knowing excatly what time standards are used by God.

So, taken in the proper perspective, both work, creationism for the beginning, and evolution as God takes his day of rest.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh-oh... I think I feel myself being divinely inspired...

And the messenger of the Lord came down from above and touched me with the Pinky of God, and my ears were opened, and I heard the voice of the Lord say "Behold! I say unto thee... Noah's real name was Fred, and he made up that ark story himself one day when he was caught in a flash flood and managed to float away in his canoe. Ol' Chuckie Darwin got it right with the evolution thing, of course. You think I have time to keep track of what everything on Earth looks like? I just tossed some slime into the ocean and let it go from there."
And I rejoiced at being chosen to receive this message from God, and I asked the Lord what might I do as restitution for the honor I had received. And the Lord did grin, saying "Yeah, could you smite that Omega git for me? I'm a little busy up here, so I don't have time to prepare a proper smiting."
And Bartholomew begat James, and James begat James, and James begat William, and William begat Robert, and Robert begat Timothy, who heard the vibrations of the Vocal Chords of God on the seventeenth day of the first month of the first year of the third millennium, by the reckoning of the calendar of Gregory.

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, there is a rational way to look at Creationism and Evolution.

Well, not really. Let's see if I can explain this properly.

God created Earth. Humans came to be. God decided to talk to humans. He was going to tell them the Truth, but decided that mankind at the time didn't need to know they came from monkeys, so He told them a-sort-of lie. He told them He created the world in six days and on the seventh He rested. He told them this because humans at the time would laugh in His face if He tried to tell them they evolved from monkey. He knew that someday mankind would figure it out for themselves.

Anyway, the point is:

Did God magically wave his fingers and shit just appeared?

Or (assuming He exists) did He cause the Big Bang and work His wonders through natural evolution?

Part of the problem with Creationism, IMHO, is that how does anyone know God spoke the truth with regards to how He created the world? Or how does anyone know that one of God's days isn't one million of our years?

Anyway ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

http://www.dinoheart.org/fastfacts/index.html

Contains the saurian four-chambered heart information.

And just for fun, more Archie, detailing the many ways in which the Archaeopteryx is close to dinos and birds. http://www.dinosauria.com/jdp/archie/archie.htm

As to how long dino eggs would take to hatch, one can derive an estimatory range from the eggs of other animals:

Chicken ---- 21 days
Snowy Owl--- 32 days
Skink ------ 40-60 days
Land Turtle- 45-90 days

(all considerably lower than six months)

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Actually, I do believe that there is definite proof of God.

The Platypus.

What a sense of humor on this guy, huh?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps