Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Conservation schmonservation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Conservation schmonservation
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Drill, Drill, Drill....

Dick Cheney's 10 energy-saving tips!
A few sensible ways not to end up like those losers in California.
By Tom McNichol

May 10, 2001 | As vice president and head of President Bush's task force on energy, people ask me all the time, "Dick, what can I do to conserve energy?" First, I tell them that conservation may be a sign of personal virtue, but it is not a sufficient basis, all by itself, for a sound, comprehensive energy policy. We can't simply conserve or ration our way out of this energy crisis, but there are some simple ways we can use power more efficiently, without having to do with less. Here are 10 ways we can all be better energy consumers:

Dick Cheney's 10 tips to conserve energy

Tip No. 1: Replace incandescent bulbs with much brighter incandescent bulbs.
A 250-watt bulb burns brighter than a 100-watt bulb: a lot brighter. Don't listen to the "dim bulbs" who insist that lower-wattage light bulbs are somehow more energy efficient. There's nothing efficient about staggering across a dark room bumping into furniture. Also, remember that 30 percent of the energy consumed by a light bulb is expended when the bulb is switched on. Keeping your lights on all the time is a simple but effective way to conserve energy.

Tip No. 2: Turn the air conditioning down to "medium" when you're not in the room.
By simply turning the air conditioning down to the medium setting (about 62 degrees) before you leave a room, you'll reap significant savings, while you and your family stay comfortable. You can further keep costs down by closing off sections of your house to trap cool air in occupied areas. At my ranch in Wyoming, for example, I like to blast the AC in the living room, family room, parlor, rec room and den, while keeping the AC set to "medium" in the library, conservatory, antiques room and aviary.

Tip No. 3: Wrap your hot water tank with "jacket" insulation.
More than 20 percent of the heat from your hot water tank escapes into the surrounding air. Wrap your water tank with a suitable "jacket" insulator. An old mink coat or chinchilla wrap is ideal.

Tip No. 4: Keep your SUV well-maintained.
SUVs are already incredibly energy efficient, meeting or exceeding federal mileage standards for large trucks and buses. But a little TLC for your SUV can make your mobile home-away-from-home even more energy-friendly. Keep power windows and locks well oiled, slow down to 75 mph on freeways, switch into two-wheel drive whenever practical and consider replacing the in-dash stereo system with a more efficient multiple-CD changer.

Tip No. 5: Replace old appliances with really big new ones.
Small appliances mean big energy bills. Think about it: By using an extra-large capacity washer and dryer, you'll only have to do laundry half as often, a 50 percent savings. Replace your current washer, dryer, refrigerator and dishwasher with the largest models you can fit through the door. Don't forget to upgrade minor appliances such as electric knife sharpeners, automatic can openers, juice squeezers, ice cream makers, bagel slicers, golf ball washers, etc.

Tip No. 6: Upgrade your hot tub.
Natural gas hot-tub heaters use less energy than electric heaters, cost less to operate and heat water faster, so you won't have to wait as long for the water to warm up. A low-cost motion detector (available at most hardware stores) connected to an appropriately licensed firearm (available most everywhere) will help keep out unwanted guests, further reducing your tub's energy consumption.

Tip No. 7: Be an energy-smart landscaper.
Cut down any trees on your property that block the sun, an important source of light and heat. Apply generous amounts of fertilizer and pesticide to your lawn weekly, or instruct the Mexican gardener to do so. Be sure to have your lawn watered at least twice a day. Remember, a green lawn is a "Green" lawn.

Tip No. 8: Don't fall for solar or wind power promises.
So-called renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power are, in fact, unreliable and even dangerous. During a typical 24-hour period, the sun is "off" 50 percent of the time, while oil, gas and coal still burn brightly. Wind power is practical only when it's windy, and a windmill's revolving blades pose a danger to unsuspecting children and pets. By contrast, there's an almost limitless supply of safe, clean-burning fossil fuels, provided we adopt sensible energy exploration policies.

Tip No. 9: Take control of your power needs.
America needs to build 1,300 new power plants over the next 20 years, or one additional plant every week. But don't expect the politicians in Washington to get off their keisters and make it happen. Instead, consider drilling for oil or gas in your own backyard. Many oil companies (including my old shop, Halliburton Co.) offer a Home Drilling Starter Kit, which provides everything you'll need to explore for energy right in your own backyard. Don't let the scaremongers convince you that a natural gas well in your yard is unsafe for children -- statistically, it's far less dangerous than a swing set or a jungle gym.

Tip No. 10: Make your voice heard.
Even the best conservation plan won't matter if our country doesn't adopt a coherent long-range energy strategy, one that includes oil and gas exploration in national parks and wildlife refuges, relaxed fuel efficiency standards and "fast-tracking" new oil, coal and nuclear power plants. We can all make a difference. The single greatest contribution you can make to America's energy independence is at the ballot box. Vote Republican.

------------------
I'll kill you, you bloated museum of treachery!
~ C. Montgomery Burns

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
During a typical 24-hour period, the sun is "off" 50 percent of the time, while oil, gas and coal still burn brightly.

Deadly

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not very good.

I mean really, this is like that crap about the arsenic. These people need to grow up.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh fuck, here we go. Can't everyone just accept such things as a joke and forget about it? The Republicans will always be seen as having a shite conservation record, and putting big-business interests ahead of the environment - even if they change their ways, even if they change their name to the Green Party. Politics is bullshit. Anyone who takes this so seriously, that any ridiculing of their chosen political party is seen as a deep personal insult that must be redressed immediately, really needs help.

------------------
Phasers

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Money talks and bullshit walks", as far as they're concerned.

------------------
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"
Samuel Adams

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mind that the Republican party gets ridiculed in the press, on TV, et cetera ad nauseum.

I mind that the Democratic party DOESN'T.

Parker and Stone would never have gotten "That's My Clinton" on the airwaves.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, why make a TV show about a guy who isn't in office anymore? They did, however, have "That's My Gore" ready to go if Al won the election. They sold the show to Comedy Central quite awhile before the election, and the pitch was essentially to lampoon whomever won the White House.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited May 16, 2001).]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Democrats don't get ridiculed? I must re-read my PJ O'Rourke collection then, because I must have been hallucinating first time round. Bit like PJ, in fact. 8)

------------------
Phasers

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gore has been ridiculed for starting the election brouhaha.

Clinton, as far as I know, has been ridiculed with countless jokes as to the Lewinsky story.

So it's equal play. Whoever is in power gets the barbs. Democrat or Republican.

------------------
"Intelligence People. You guys are unbelievable. You dump a mess like this (that you created) on my lap, and then you come to me whining "Where is our funding"? Well I'll tell you where your funding is. Can you say Health-Care"
- The President of the United States of America, The Long Kiss Goodnight

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee:

The Republicans will always be seen as having a shite conservation record, and putting big-business interests ahead of the environment

Lee, has it ever occured to you that there are entities OTHER than the EEEVIL "big business" that would benefit from our having enough energy to run this country? Here's one: ME! And for 280 million others, every other person in the USA! Except, of course, the Democrat politicans, who NEED crises like this so they can lie to you and blame Republicans for their mistakes.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I blame those pissant fuckmonster so-called "environmentalists."

If those uppity pussy motherfuckers didn't get so cunty over nuclear power & looked at the big picture. we could've been through the whole messy (& very necessary) nuclear fission stage & been well on our was to nuclear fusion. Cheap, clean, & easily affordable.

They don't like it? Fine. fuck them. They can get windmills & water wheels & generate their OWN shit. Get the fuck off my power grid, cockknockers!

------------------
"Boinky ensued, and a great time was had by all." --Book of Nigel, Chapter 4, verse 32

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't like "That's my Bush"? well tough shit, that's what the first amendment protects. So rather than bitch and whine about how one party gets made more fun of than another, just thank your lucky stars that the government doesn't come and rip off your genitalia for making fun of them.

dumb spoiled americans.

note- i'm not saying that ALL americans are dumb, for i am one myself. i'm just saying you could have it a lot worse than a few "dumb" jokes about the president.

------------------
Signatures are for losers

[This message has been edited by USS Vanguard (edited May 16, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Actually, upon further consideration, my opinion of "That's My Bush" would be about the same if it WAS about Gore.

The show is full of tired cliches, and not up to the level of "South Park," which was at least some good two-sided satire.

Incidentally, though, why does BUSH get the responsibility for mandating conservation? Can't states (and PEOPLE, for that matter) do that THEMSELVES? Have the folks on the left grown so weak-willed that they have to have the government tell them to do EVERYTHING?

Or do, as has been suggested before, the people on the left believe that everyone else is so despicably EVIL that they need the heavy hand of government to FORCE them to do the right thing?

Me, I've been conserving energy for YEARS. My car gets good mileage (I can't afford a hybrid), I turn out the lights and keep the thermostat low. If PA had more sunshine, I'd have a solar collector on my roof. If the hill I live on was at all reliably windy, I might have a windmill. If the EPA would let me, I might build a little hydro project on our creek (We actually looked into it once, since we have all-year running water from a freshwater spring.)

I don't need the feds to force me into something I already DO.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

But what about the people who don't?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps