Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Conservation schmonservation (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Conservation schmonservation
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any form of drilling can set a dangerous precedent.

For now, it is 2000 acres.

Next time, it could be 20000 acres.

Then 200,000 acres.

And soon, 2 million acres.

What next after that?

Such ignorance will be the downfall of the environment. And so far, I have seen plenty.

(side note, Burn's Slant Drilling refinery oughta do the trick, putting the rig OUTSIDE the reserve)

------------------
"Intelligence People. You guys are unbelievable. You dump a mess like this (that you created) on my lap, and then you come to me whining "Where is our funding"? Well I'll tell you where your funding is. Can you say Health-Care"
- The President of the United States of America, The Long Kiss Goodnight

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited May 18, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, the 'slippery slope' argument.

The same one that you folks LAUGH at when anybody ELSE uses it... like when the NRA uses it to say that registration could lead to confiscation.

So excuse me if this time I laugh and call YOU paranoid.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The difference is that Gun control is regulated by the government and the people who control them. Too bad the government is doing quite a sloppy job of things.

And the Government does not control the oil sector. Private business interests do, who have no care about the environment other than what profits it can bring.

------------------
"Intelligence People. You guys are unbelievable. You dump a mess like this (that you created) on my lap, and then you come to me whining "Where is our funding"? Well I'll tell you where your funding is. Can you say Health-Care"

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited May 18, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AH, but the government DOES control the ANWR and who gets to drill on it and where and when. Therefore, it controls the oil sector to that extent, which happens to be what we're talking about here.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Saltah'na
Member # 33

It all depends if there are people pulling the strings from the Government, and whom.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

and once again, that's true of EVERYTHING the government gets its hands in.

All the more reason to keep it OUT of as much as possible. When a problem is small and localized, it's far easier to step in and take corrective measures than when the problem becomes Federalized. When things are Federalized, one small interest group in one location (D.C.) can influence policy across an entire country. When things are run on a local level, it takes much more effort to pull said strings.

Which is why we should let the Alaskans decide whether to drill or not. They're a lot closer to the situation than some toss-off lobbyist (for the oil company OR for the environmental lobby) who's never been outside the Beltway.

------------------

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited May 18, 2001).]

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Point. And I'll leave it at that.

You mentioned that the local inuit doesn't mind the drilling. Fine. That supports your point.

But the government should be weary of who to choose as its allies: the people, or the business interests. And Personally, I don't like governments who pander to business interests, like the government here in Ontario.

------------------
"Intelligence People. You guys are unbelievable. You dump a mess like this (that you created) on my lap, and then you come to me whining 'Where is our funding'? Well I'll tell you where your funding is. Can you say Health-Care"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps