Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Conservation schmonservation (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Conservation schmonservation
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like who?

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a related note, This is from the REAL Bush energy policy.

Renewable Energy:

--Provide tax credits to encourage development of energy plants that use organic waste, or biomass.

--Continue tax credits for wind energy generation.

--Give tax credit of 15 percent for homeowners who purchase solar panels.

Conservation:

--Give tax credit for purchase of high-mileage, hybrid gas-electric vehicles.

--Provide tax benefits and regulatory relief for co-generation plants that produce both heat and electricity

--Expand federal Energy Star program to include not only businesses but schools, homes and hospitals.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nowhere have I seen such promises made in and after the election. Can someone point me to the source?

------------------
"Intelligence People. You guys are unbelievable. You dump a mess like this (that you created) on my lap, and then you come to me whining "Where is our funding"? Well I'll tell you where your funding is. Can you say Health-Care"
- The President of the United States of America, The Long Kiss Goodnight

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait.

How was he going to give people a 15% tax cut, when he was planning on eliminating taxes for the lower classes? Um, hello? 15% of zero is still ... zero.

THAT'S fuzzy math.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wait...wha? That's My Bush is full of "cliches"??????

The whole point of "That's My Bush" is the cliches. It's not even really a jab at the president per se (though i know many conservatives at school who'd like to think so, they get really angry at it). Its a satire about the stupidity of sitcoms in general...hence the "cliches" (i.e. stupid husband, sarcastic maid, etc, etc, etc) you speak about. THey just used the white house as a medium to show just how silly these "situations" in sit coms actually are.

------------------
Signatures are for losers

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How was he going to give people a 15% tax cut, when he was planning on eliminating taxes for the lower classes?

A) That's probably 15% of the price of the solar pannel.

B) How many low-income families do you expect to blow money on solar pannels? They may save you money in the long run, but they take a significant amount of capital to begin with.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should we change the tagline of this Forum to a definition of the word "joke"?

------------------
Lister: "Drop dead, Rimmer."
Rimmer: "Already have done."
Lister: "Encore."
-Red Dwarf, "Kryten"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More satire: "A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit."

Still, seeing those poor picked on conservative types getting their undies all in a bunch makes it worth while though.

------------------
I'll kill you, you bloated museum of treachery!
~ C. Montgomery Burns

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do try to pay attention to what people say instead of getting in a strop because someone's dared to say something contrary to your own twisted little worldview, Omeychops. I SAID, the Republicans will always be seen as behaving that way. I didn't commment on whether they actually ARE that way, whether or not they SHOULD be that way, or if they will always BE that way.

In actuality I wouldn't vote for either of your parties, they seem equally useless. Said it before, say it again: politics is bullshit. I'll just confirm my opinion now by reading up on the latest UK election news. . .

------------------
Phasers

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Tahna: that information came DIRECTLY from MSNBC's report of Bush's energy plan, the conservation section.

I notice the Dems are now scrambling to come up with their own plans. Guess they WERE twiddling their thumbs the last eight years, or they'd have something already.

------------------

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Link Please.

And I'd like to see some report on Bush ACTUALLY following through with these promises. So far, all the reports I've heard say otherwise.

Like all politicians, saying things is one thing, actually doing these things is another.

------------------
"Intelligence People. You guys are unbelievable. You dump a mess like this (that you created) on my lap, and then you come to me whining "Where is our funding"? Well I'll tell you where your funding is. Can you say Health-Care"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Gee, try http://www.msnbc.com/msn/571669.asp

Go down to "Bush Energy Basics" and click on the menu for "Conservation." try the one for "Environment" while you're at it.

As for follow-through... HOW can one follow through on a plan JUST proposed?

How much he can actually push through a Congress made half up of enemies, I don't speculate.

------------------

Saltah'na
Member # 33

I'll give him credit if he tries.

Now this is a laugh: Under International, it states that Bush plans to Review economic sanctions policies against Iraq, Iran and Libya, three major oil exporting nations.

On nuclear power, studies are advised on whether to revive the idea of reprocessing spent nuclear fuel. Reprocessing, in which plutonium is chemically salvaged from used reactor fuel to be used again in a reactor, was abandoned in the 1970s because of nuclear proliferation concerns, although it is still embraced in Japan and Europe.

I like this.

Oil and Gas: Allow drilling on more federal lands, including 2,000 of the 19 million acres of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Offer new tax incentives to encourage production.
Order federal agencies to consider the impact on energy supplies when writing regulations.

This is the section that I do not like one bit. Especially the Tax incentives one. My opinion is that a shortage is perhaps the best opportunity to find great and cheap alternative energy in a timely matter (when push comes to shove, you move, fast). Prolonging the usage of traditional energy sources means that the Alternative energy research gets thrown into the backburner. I will admit that Bush does have some ideas, but we shall see.
Looks like the Democrats have some good ideas too, so don't discount them yet. A good plan will involve the ideas of both parties.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited May 17, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

One of the things I noticed was the true extent of the plan to "ravage the Arctic Wildlife Refuge."

I mean, 2000 acres out of 19 MILLION? what is that in percentage terms? .0001052%

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Incidentally.. has anybody asked the Inupiat (the main Indian tribe that owns land in the ANWR) how THEY feel about opening the refuge to drilling?

(Here's a hint: I already know the answer.)
http://www.anwr.org/

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps