Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Something worth discussing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Something worth discussing
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should the rest of the world recognize Somaliland as an independent country from Somalia?
http://www.msnbc.com/msn/566996.asp

I think so.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get the bit about Djibouti. Do they seriously think that the other countries of the world will say "Well, now that Somaliland exists, we like them better than you, Djibouti, so we're just going to get rid of you..."?

I don't see any reason for the rest of the world not to recognize Somaliland. Or Sealand, either.

------------------
"Adults Do Not Teach By Examples, But By Word Scams That Brainwash And Indoctrinate Their Children's Malleable Minds, Destroying Youth. Rote Education Corrupts Childhood, Forcing Children To Become Adults."
-Gene Ray

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehe. I wish those people would spruce up Sealand. A paint job would do it. LOL. I say good for them! They have the same balls as those who founded this nation. They had the balls to say 'We don't like your nation so screw you, we'll make our own!' I fantasized about founding my own nation. The Antartic Union. lol. We managed to build eviromental domes and a defence force within 50 years thanks to the help of an alien intellegence.

I wonder. Where can I get a Sealand dollar??

------------------
"We have to get drunk immediately."----Gattaca

[This message has been edited by MIB (edited May 18, 2001).]

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I would like to see Somaliland recognized. Africa needs all the stability it can get, or rather, chances to create stability for themselves.

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited May 18, 2001).]

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes, and what better way then to add yet another (most likely) unstable government to the fray.

------------------
Signatures are for losers

[This message has been edited by USS Vanguard (edited May 18, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be nice if every country could be recongized.

Of course, last I checked, Taiwan still wasn't being recognized.

And this is why international politics sucks my left testicle.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And my right one.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

[This message has been edited by Daryus Aden (edited May 19, 2001).]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd contribute a third testicle, but, um, that wouldn't be right now, would it?

The UN has recognised Tibet as independent ever since the Chinese invaded, but, um, that hasn't done much, now, has it?

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? I didn't know Tibet was recognized as independent...

And I think Taiwan is recognized by everyone but China, right?

------------------
"Adults Do Not Teach By Examples, But By Word Scams That Brainwash And Indoctrinate Their Children's Malleable Minds, Destroying Youth. Rote Education Corrupts Childhood, Forcing Children To Become Adults."
-Gene Ray

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAIK, most nations don't formally recognise Taiwan as independent. Taiwan itself doesn't... it claims of being the legitimate government for all of China, and not one of two nations. The UN has accepted Communist China since the Seventies as the legitimate government of the mainland, IIRC.

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, US domestic politics sucks my right testicle.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, both Taiwan and mainland China claim to be the China:
Mainland China = 'The People's Republic of China'
Taiwan = 'The Republic of China'

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Behold the majesety and grandeur that is the Principality of Sealand, the jewel of the North Sea!!

http://www.sealandgov.com/images/sealand_sm.jpg

Are they having us on? Seriously?

[This message has been edited by Gaseous Anomaly (edited May 19, 2001).]

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is that damned easy, I'm gonna start my own country too...

------------------
It never stops, when my mama ask me will I change
I tell her yeah, but it's clear I'll always be the same
Until the end of time
- Tupac Shakur, Untill the End of Time

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"They had the balls to say 'We don't like your nation so screw you, we'll make our own!'"

Actually, it was more along the lines of a few blokes sitting in a pub, and someone mentioning:

"Hey, there's an abondoned military platform just outside British waters. Who's round is it?"

"Not mine. So?"

"I'll get the next round, but only if we go and take it over and claim to be a new country."

"Brilliant. Get me a Calsbreg Export."

Which may be superficially similar to a bunch of religious wierdo's running off, but only superficially.

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited May 19, 2001).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps