Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Japanese Knifing (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Japanese Knifing
Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Blue I don't know what you are thinking but our basic education has little to do with this. Pointing to the classroom and saying there lies the problem is well stupid. The American school system has a lot to deal with these days and has had its hands tied so many times it is almost pathetic. The blame truly lies in the parents of these individuals.

Fo2 I totally agree. The Japanese have a much higher regard for those things then most Americans do.

--------------------
The Poster formally known as Tec.

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A direct translation would be "ghost fellow", which basically means "weird dude" which is Cantonese's way of describeing white people of being "weird".

But that's the extend of it.

"ghwai low" is relatively harmless compare to their counterparts

We don't get, excuse my languages, nigger, chink, nip, etc.

And certainly, we don't get people saying "ghwai low" on public media, but same cannot be said for their counterparts.

Plus all those "black jokes", "Indian jokes", "Chinese jokes" and the list goes on and on...

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is 'Gaijin'? It's been years since my last 'Nicholas Linnear' book.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
huh?

never heard that one before...

--------------------

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gaijin = 'foreigner' or 'stranger'
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that's not racist, but it's no compliment either, the way I've heard it used.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Foreigner" & "stranger" are nice ways of putting it. Gaijin is more like "barbarian."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You asked for it...

(Thanks to the International Slang Dictionary, among others)

SANGOKUJIN:
" Tokyo Gov. Shintaro Ishihara recently told troops to be on the lookout for rioting foreigners taking advantage of earthquakes to get in a little bit of looting. "Atrocious crimes have been committed again and again by sangokujin and other foreigners," he said, using a derogatory Japanese slang term for Koreans and Taiwanese. "We can expect them to riot in the event of a disastrous earthquake.""

GAIJIN / GAI-KO:
""Gaijin" is a Japanese derogatory slang term for all non-Japanese , derived from the word "gaikokujin" or "foreigner."" Gai-ko" is even more derogatory.

From the Mitsubishi lawsuit a few years back:
"Japanese managers did not consider women equals, and believed women should not be working in a factory. He suggested that they should not look Japanese men in the eye or make eye contact, since this would be considered "insulting" to the Japanese."

GAISEN - pejorative term for a person who is physically attracted to non-Japanese people

BULEH - Indonesian derogatory term for whites

Da-Bi-Zi - Used in China

KAEK - Derogatory Thai term for East Indians

KALA - Asian Indian derogatory term for Blacks

KUROMBO - Used in Japan; considered very derogatory term for Blacks

You were saying...?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

BlueElectron
Member # 281

Da-Bi-Zi

If this is what I think it is, then it's not a racist term, it can be used for any people

basic translation:

"stupid idiot"

man, that can be everybody!

--------------------

BlueElectron
Member # 281

And aren't we suppose to compare developed and developing at later stages countries?

I don't think Thai and Indonesia belong in that catagory.

I'm gonna check out the source with my Japanese friends before I make any comments on Japanese racist terms that you pointed out

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think someone needs to point out the difference between "race" and "nationality". China, Japan, Korea... They're all basically the same race. If Koreans hate Japanese, it's not racial, it's national. It would be like if people in the US hated Canadians, and you called it "racism".
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm not so sure. The line seems to be a little blurred on that one. Yes, we are basically of the same "race," I think it goes that the Japanese, Chinese, and Koreans have isolated themselves in their respective nations for so long that there is now a definite genetic rift between the three populations. People who have lived there or visited for a prolonged period of time say that they can tell the difference between the three groups by facial features and height and whatnot. Other Asian people I meet say "Oh, you must be Korean!" based on my face and the fact that I'm pretty tall (5'9-1/2").

If you can differentiate like that, it borders very close to racism, especially if that is the discerning factor by which you base your name calling, although I don't think it is.

Truly, it is more political than racial, but there has always been a major effort to maintain homogeneiety (is that a word?) especially in Korea and Japan. If I remember correctly, there were very strict social rules on marrying into the nationality. Foreigners (even from other parts of Asia) were considered outcasts.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"developed and developing at later stages countries?"

Why? You won't even DEFINE what you mean by 'developing at later stages,' OR say WHY we should consider them different?

What, do people in countries that aren't economic powerhouses get a 'by' on being racist because they aren't 'developed?' BE, do you have any kind of idea what a load of cultural elitism THAT idea is?

Indonesia, Japan and China are just as developed as anybody else, and to say otherwise, I'm sure, they would find highly insulting.

I mean, you know they build skyscrapers in Indonesia, don't you? Out of steel and concrete, too! And they make their own plastic! They have industry! They have stock markets!

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a term paper on Indonesia, and it's sure-as-hell a developing country.

Race is a fuzzy concept. Strictly scientifically speaking, there are three races: Negroid, Causcoid and Mongoloid, plus a lot of argument over the ethnic origin of the Melanesian, Polynesian and Australian Aborigene peoples. However, most people would consider the indigenous peoples of the Americas as a different race to Asians; Indian-Indians, Saharan Africans and Hispanics non-Caucasian etc.

In any case, Japanese people are no more a different race to Koreans than Englishmen are to Germans.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there's enough difference that I can tell you a Japanese from Chinese and Korean and I'm not Asian, haven't got any in me, and never been there.
Sure white against black against asian is easier to define but it isn't any lesser.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps