Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Japanese Knifing (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Japanese Knifing
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but most Asians can tell a Scotsman from a Greek.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a Japanese-American (nisei) but have been living in Tokyo for the last 7 years, so I'll give you my take on all this.

I think that Japanese society is very violent. I get a sense that people are under enormous stress here and are always able to snap and become extremely violent if pushed far enough. I think that this is a a characteristic of Japanese society, in which self-restraint is considered admirable, but that rigteous fury when you have been pushed to far is also allowed. (See, for example, the story of the 47 Ronin.) The trouble is that people keep a lid on things so long that the only reaction to a perceived trespass are no reaction or an explosion. Recently, because of 10 years of recession, people seem to be under more stress than usual and more likely to explode with less provocation. This happens a lot among children and young persons nowadays. No one seems to know how to deal with friction in society except by exploding.

I don't know where people get the idea that Japanese are non-violent. This is only government policy.

I find the number of nine deaths by knife pretty hard to believe. You hear about knife attacks all the time in Tokyo.

Japanese society is also very racist/nationalist. I believe that many Japanese consider themselves superior to Koreans, Chinese and other Asians. This was part of the wartime indoctrination in an attempt to provide a foundation for Japan's conquest of Asia, but I think these ideas are still very prevalent. They certainly consider themselves genetically distinct from other Asians. Japanese are extremely concerned about racial purity.

There is certainly a history of hate crime in Japan. During the 1923 Earthquake, several thousand Koreans were killed by mobs and the police after false rumors that Koreans (who were brought to Japan as laborers after Korea was conquered) were poisoning the water supply. Koreans born in Japan must apply for citizen ship. Everytime there is trouble with North Korea, there are hate crimes against Koreans in Japan.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course there's difference, an under-developed country cannot afford the education for their citizen, and that make all the difference!

And when most of the population in a country is relatively poor, they shift their "anger" elsewhere, in our case, possibly hate crimes.

I remember just 2 or 3 years ago, there was mass riot in Indonesia to kill off Chinese decendants because the people "thought" the Chinese decendant are hogging all the resources and financial power.

An example of "developing country at later stage" would be Singapore, South Korea, HK and Taiwan, where almost every standards to qualify these countries to be a "developed" country are there, but some are still not there yet. Is Indoneia a developing country? Definately yes, but no where near the "later stage". Are they building high rise building? Yes, but only the few and elite can afford them.

An example of "developed" country in Asian would be Japan, who's also a member in G-7 (or is it G-10 now)

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: BlueElectron ]

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which Korea? There are two, you know. With widely varying standards of living and economies, or so I have learned.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
an under-developed country cannot afford the education for their citizen, and that make all the difference

Really? Did it take school to teach YOU not to be racist, or did you learn it at HOME like everybody else?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
School does not directly teach you not to be a racist.

But everything you learn in school eventually give you the concept of not being a racist.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no it doesn't.

Of course, back when I went to grade school, they taught only FACTS and not opinions. School was not a social enginering workshop. Nor should it be.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

BlueElectron
Member # 281

Man, you have some funny idea about schooling.

A school is more a less a miniature community or society, in which we learn what are acceptable and what aren't an acceptable behaviours through books , courses or lectures.

We also learn how to best interact with peers, how to be popular, how to be nice, and how not to be "a pain in the ass" for others.

While some of the learning we do by ourselves, some others are "taught" by elders.

And you think school does not have the slightless trace of "social engineering"? What school do you go to? Does your teachers not teach you right and wrong, punish you for doing the wrong thing? You make school sound like a anarchy type of place, where total freedom flourish, no rules or guidelines are enforce, and everything goes. Man, let me tell you, that ain't a good education system. Hell, a place like that would be the exact replicate of "Lord of the fly"!

[ June 12, 2001: Message edited by: BlueElectron ]

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to Catholic school for my first six years of grade school. Who were the people in my class? Thirty white kids, one black girl, one girl from the Philapines. There was a kid from Venezuala in the 3rd grade, but his dad (a Colonel in the Venezualan military) left after that year so so did my friend.

Prior to starting 7th grade, I moved from Adelphi, Md to Columbia, Md and entered public school. Blacks, hispanics, whites ... wow! It was damn near overwhelming being with so many people who weren't white. Oh, sure, I'd known some black kids from my old neighborhood, but for the most part, the black kids and the white kids didn't play together -- except for the occasional social gathering our parent's dragged us to.

Not so at Wilde Lake Middle School. Did the teachers try and teach social behavior? Well, they didn't really have to, aside for arranging seating assignments so that you didn't have all the white kids on the left side, the latinos in the middle, and the blacks on the other side.

Social interaction between races is the key to eliminating racism (and, hopefully, homophobia, too). Look at the movie Remember the Titans. It was based on a true story -- except, in real life, the black kids and the white kids were best of friends and tight as a team could be after the football camp -- the movie stretches that out a bit.

That's my two-cents.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We also learn how to best interact with peers..."

That's a rather difficult thing to explain to someone, considering that interaction is different w/ every single person...

"...how to be popular..."

That's a horrible horrible thing to teach a child.

"...how to be nice, and how not to be 'a pain in the ass' for others."

That's the sort of thing parents are supposed to teach their kids before they even start school.

Oh, wait, I forgot. Parents these days only exist to actually produce the child, and pay for its upkeep. That whole "interaction" and "responsibility" thing is for the rest of society to take care of...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Yes, and NONE of those things are taught by the teachers. They're all pretty much self-taught through that great twin pair of teachers... Trial and Error.

And PUNISHING right and wrong acts is very VERY different between TEACHING the difference between right and wrong.

"Popular" is usually the OPPOSITE of "independent" and "intelligent." That's one thing school DID teach me.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN,

Chill, dude. You sound like you're on the warpath I don't think BE means that these things are learned by being taught by teachers, but by learning by interaction with other kids.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'"Popular" is usually the OPPOSITE of "independent" and "intelligent." That's one thing school DID teach me.'

My, aren't we bitter.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...I suppose all of you "bitter" people (as Liam so succinctly put it) support home schooling? And they only taught you "facts," huh? I find that EXTREMELY difficult to believe.

[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: Daniel ]

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Nope, I wasn't home-schooled, and I don't support it in most cases, because it's often done for what I consider piss-poor reasons. Like the fact that the fact of evolution is taught in the schools, while Judeo-Christian mythology is left to the churches and the home.

I went to public school, and I survived just fine. I ALSO had strict but generally fair parents. They also happened to be teachers in another school district, so I got a double-shot of education.

As for my crack about 'popularity'.. it's not mine. It's my slightly older cousin's. She was a popular girl, but she had to pretend to be 'dumb' (she WAS quite bright as a child) to fit in with the others, and essentially sacrificed her education, a choice from which she has never recovered, and likely never will.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps