Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » DENIAL OF SERVICE (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DENIAL OF SERVICE
BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

Man, what has the internet world comes to.

A 46 years-old internet veteran bested by a 13 years-old kids...

~sigh~

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I'll buy any more Windows products after reading this. Win98 is good enough for me.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that the modes of attack have been getting more advanced that the protections.....

"Jeez, what a worthless cop/teacher/person, getting bested by a 13 year old with a gun...."

The idea is the same, the level is different....

Then there is this kids mother, "Oh, little Johnny, oops, I mean Wicked, is soo good at doing internet attacks. Why, just this past week he's attacked grc.com and kept knocking them offline...."

Both scenarios need more perantal supervision....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there's quite a bit of differnce.

With a gun, all you need to do is aim and pull the triger.

With a computer, you need to learn how to hack, where to hack, and make your own tools to hack.

Although the kid didn't wrote his own "bots", Steve Gibson did say that he "hex edited" it, and I think that's pretty impressive for a kid his age, and terrified that he's using it for crime.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really, I was hex-editing within the first 6 months I had my 8088 system, getting games to change icons and what not....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Children need to learn self-discipline at an early age.

The epithet 'script kiddie' is nothing to commit a federal crime over.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*raises an eyebrow*
There are epithets worth committing federal crimes over? I must learn them and use them

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I don't think I'll buy any more Windows products after reading this. Win98 is good enough for me."

Of course, it is. Just as DOS was good enough for everyone back in 1993. And Windows 95 was good enough for everyone back in 1997.

All play to you if you chose to never upgrade your system. Just don't expect it to be running much in half a dozen years.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that was long, but I found it to be informative none-the-less. I'm also amazed how quickly and how much info this guy learned. I've always been interested in how hacking worked.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

BlueElectron
Member # 281

Well DUH! *just joking*

Steve Gibson is THE MAN when it come to internet security.

He's pretty good with software programming too, but I dought he's the absolute best when it comes to programming.

[ June 23, 2001: Message edited by: BlueElectron ]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ironic part is, the kid was getting so upset over the term "script kiddie"... He is a script kiddie...
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: There are other OSes out there, of course.
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
The ironic part is, the kid was getting so upset over the term "script kiddie"... He is a script kiddie...

Hey don't you start insulting him! Next thing we know he'll do the same to Flare. What would we do then without Flare? I have a solution though;

Wicked, if you are a member of this forum - no offence was intended by TSN's comment. He was simply repeating what had already been said.

There. That should hold him off me thinks.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling that Charles and the combined talent of the other gurus here could handle a puny little sucker like this kid.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessarily. He may not know what he's doing, really, but he's got scripts to do all the work for him. I mean, look at what he managed to do to one of the premiere Internet security gurus out there. He might suck, in and of himself, but, if he's got a user-friendly enough program, it doesn't matter how dumb he is.

It's like this. Take someone who knows almost nothing about computers. Set them down at a DOS or UNIX prompt, and, sure, they won't be able to do anything. That's like a script kiddie left to his own devices. Now, set that same nearly-computer-illiterate person in front of Win98 or MacOS, and they'll be able to do a lot more. That's like a script kiddie who has access to the right scripts.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps