Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » DENIAL OF SERVICE (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DENIAL OF SERVICE
BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve Gibson probably does have the ability to take a kid down once and for all.

But that probably require some major illegal hacking to track down all the fake detours that this kid used. Plus, even if he did find the kid, and crack his comp, he probably have to do some major damage like killing the BIOS or something, which probably he's too peaceful to carry out.

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Killing the BIOS? Is that actually possible to do remotely?

And don't say yes unless you actually know it's happened. I've heard people say that hackers could, er, hack into someones computer and alter their motherboard settings so that the CPU runs really fast, and blows up. Or something. But I don't ever recall it actually happening.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it's possible to do what you just said.

There are legal freewares out there that allow you to change setting to overclock CPU and whole bunch of stuff (changing front bus speed?). Anyway, I'm not really an expert here, so maybe someone can help you.

All a experience hacker have to do is gain total access with your comp, which is pretty easy to do with Window OS according to techno junkies that I know. Then what this hacker has to do is upload the sofeware into the hacked comp, and overclock the CPU like frinkin' 100 times. Garantee burn out in like 10 secs or something.

Or he can just wipe your registry and make you reformat the disk, which is a pain in the ass.

--------------------

BlueElectron
Member # 281

And for Omega:

No offense for any of the Techno dudes here, I'm sure you're all very talented.

But the kids did nailed Steve Gibson in the butt, and that is one hell of a achievement for a hacker. I don't really think we stand a chance against him, or rather, his hacking tools.

--------------------

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, well, I'd like to see anyone try and get past my security, that's all.

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

BlueElectron
Member # 281

Okey man, we're all getting a bit confuse here...

Steve Gibson's servers didn't get "HACKED", but instead, the kid bombarded his connection with billions of packets, which effectively killed his service by sucking up all his bandwidth, but his defenses were not penetrated and therefore his machines were not compremised.

Later on he worked it out with the engineer from his ISP to set up a barrier that "ignore" the packets directed at sepecifc ports, therefore eliminate the problem with the flood.

One last thing, I wouldn't issue a open chanllenge if I were you, even if you do have the abilities to best him on the field, I rather just stay quiet and conserve my energy to do more productive things.

[ June 24, 2001: Message edited by: BlueElectron ]

--------------------

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you're right, I tested my pc at that site grc.com and I was right, I've got a friggin' fortress, nothing goes in or out without my specific permission.
And I like it that way.

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"All a experience hacker have to do is gain total access with your comp, which is pretty easy to do with Window OS according to techno junkies that I know. Then what this hacker has to do is upload the sofeware into the hacked comp"

Don't you have to actually upload the software yourself? By being tricked into downloading dodgy warez, or by getting it in an e-mail attachment. I've never heard of hackers being able to just upload stuff to your computer if you're just connected, and nothing else.

"and overclock the CPU like frinkin' 100 times. Garantee burn out in like 10 secs or something."

Now, while I've heard of people saying that hackers can do this, I do not recall one instance of it actually happening. Are you sure this isn't Urban Myth?

"Or he can just wipe your registry and make you reformat the disk, which is a pain in the ass."

How does he reformat your hard drive anyway?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine an over-overclocked processor would just shut down anyway.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yes, I think that's true. If you clocked someone's 450mhz CPU to, say, over a gig, then I doubt the machine would get past it's POST. If it's just been overclocked a bit, then you'd notice when the computer starts up and shows a higher number.

And what about motherboards where you have to move jumpers to set bus speed and all that. Wouldn't they be immune?

--------------------

BlueElectron
Member # 281

Hackers usually trick people to download hackwares like "Netbus", or any type of "Trogin Horse". They are basically remote access programs that let you control certain functions of the hacked comps. But experienced hackers don't even need to use the hackwares, all they need is a port-scanner, find out which port is "open" and then slip in and gain TOTAL CONTROL of your comp. Then he play with things that are REALLY REALLY BAD and may make your comp EXPLODE! According to my friends of techo junkies, it can be done, but how remain a question for me.

If your over-clocked your comp in bad ways, "electromagnetic migration" or something start to set in. Basicly it slash the life expectancy of your CPU.

And I do believe if hacker over-clocked your comp too much (like 100 times), and then multi-tasks shitload of programs all at once, then it will burn out your CPU instead of a fail-safe "shut-down".

What I meant for the registry is that a hacker would mess around with it in such a way that you probably need to reformat to get your comp working again.

--------------------

BlueElectron
Member # 281

And for some of your more "technical challenge" questions, I don't think I can answer them...

Maybe some of our resident techo wizards can answer them for you.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was this the face that launched a thousand ships
And burnt the topless towers of Illiug?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The FACE???
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was using classical literature to mock BE's spelling. That's all. :-)
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps