Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » McDonald's Sued for Maggot-Infested Cheeseburger (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: McDonald's Sued for Maggot-Infested Cheeseburger
BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://home-news.excite.ca/news/r/010703/13/odd-mcdonalds-dc

McDick has done it again, first I heard some little girl was sueing them because she ate a burger with "half a rat's head" (where's the other half you ask? I'll leave that to your imagination!). I think she won the case a long time ago with couple millions?

Now, they got the maggot burger, man, there service are just keeping it up!

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, in my freshman days we lovingly referred to McDonald's as McE. Coli's. I saw this story on the news tonight and they actually showed the remains of the cheeseburger in question with the maggots on it. Of course, this happened as I was eating dinner.

It's the stories like this that has made my thoroughly check all food I buy from a fast food restaurant before eating it.

To sum up my post in one sound effect: **vomitting profusely**

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I can imagine that would suck. Maybe you can sue your TV station for broadcasting the report and making you lose your stomach ... ?

Anyhoo, the only fast food I eat is Subway. Mainly because you can watch them making it in front of you.

::shrug::

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might be interested to know that I heard a story today reporting that Subway was forced to pay a kid several million dollars for giving him Hepatitis A.

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Millions? Isn't Hep. A. reasonably treatable?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turns out that the kid had to have a liver transplant.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to see that high paid American lawyers are still capable of describing things eloquently.

"Since this incident, he's been freaking out."

Dude.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get down on McDonald's too much. There are some things to consider.

1) Each one is a franchise, so the company doesn't own ALL the restaurants. They're usually owned and operated by small-time people.

2) I don't think McDonalds has an overall plan to make everyone eat maggot burgers and rats heads. These things just really suck for a company.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeffR,

quote:
1) Each one is a franchise, so the company doesn't own ALL the restaurants. They're usually owned and operated by small-time people.

Hah! Small-time people usually can't afford the franchise fee for a McDonald's resteraunt. Tack onto that the yearly fee to be allowed to use the McDonald's name, and it is NOT cheap to own or operate a McDonald's franchise.

Of course, maybe you meant people that live in the community ... and on that you would be correct. I went to high-school with a guy whose parents owned two McDonald's in the Columbia, Md area. They had a nice big house, but first they had to scrape the $$$ together to buy their first McD's, then wait until it started to turn a profit, then buy another ... and it was a very long process for them.

However, just because a McD is a franchise doesn't neccessarily mean that the corporate isn't responsible. Franchise stores get their products -- food, napkins, etc. -- from a central commissary, owned by, guess who? McD Corporate. While the maggots are probably a direct result of unsanitary conditions within one particular resteraunt, meat patties with "half a rat's head", or a batch of chicken nuggets with a "chicken's head" are the fault of the commissary.

quote:
I don't think McDonalds has an overall plan to make everyone eat maggot burgers and rats heads. These things just really suck for a company.

That's just common sense right there.

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can anyone get Hep A via a subway sandwhich?
IP: Logged
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An excellent question. What, did they put infected blood on a sandwich instead of hot sauce? I think I would have noticed something like that BEFORE eating the sandwich.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents actually look into detail for "owning" a McDick.

You need 350,000 (Canadian $) for franchise fee alone, not to mention renting the place and other expenses.

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I'm a bit ignorant about how Hepititus is spread, however I don't think it's neccessarily spread via blood. My parents contracted Hepititus from a Wendy's ... luckily, it wasn't one of the serious strains of Hep and they were treated and are ay-okay now -- but, again, I don't think Hep spreads via blood.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Vaccination Recommended For Children In High-Hepatitis States

Hepatitis A is a highly contagious virus that attacks the liver. Each year it infects up to 200,000 Americans. It is spread by the fecal-oral route through close person-to- person contact or by ingesting contaminated food or water. Symptoms can be debilitating and include fever, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, abdominal discomfort, jaundice and dark urine. Infected individuals can unknowingly infect others 2 weeks prior to feeling ill themselves. It is estimated that up to 22 percent of adult hepatitis A patients require hospitalization. Approximately 100 people in this country die every year from this disease. For more details visit the MedicineNet.com Hepatitis Forum.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), routine vaccination of children is the most effective way to reduce the incidence of hepatitis A nationwide. The CDC is encouraging implementation of routine hepatitis A vaccination programs for children in 17 states; which have the highest rates of hepatitis A. The CDC has incorporated the recommendations of its Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) into the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) titled, "Prevention of Hepatitis A Through Active or Passive Immunization." These recommendations are in response to the continuing high rates of hepatitis A in the United States.

The CDC recommends a shift in its immunization strategy in order to reduce the rate of hepatitis A. The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) 1996 recommendations on the prevention of hepatitis A focused primarily on vaccinating persons in high risk groups. People at high risk of developing hepatitis A include: travelers to countries with high rates of hepatitis A, men who have sex with men, injecting drug users, persons with clotting-factor disorders, persons with chronic liver disease and children living in communities with high rates of hepatitis A. The CDC's review of national hepatitis A rates and results from community-based vaccination programs indicate that continued implementation of ACIP recommendations would not result in vaccinating high risk populations and would therefore have a limited impact on the overall incidence of disease. To achieve a sustained reduction in hepatitis A, the CDC recommends a shift from the present immunization strategy to one that achieves widespread routine vaccination of children to prevent infection in these age groups and eventually among older persons as this population ages.

According to the CDC, the states with the highest incidence of hepatitis A account for 50 percent of the reported cases. It is estimated that hepatitis A health care cost more that $450 million dollars annually. Experts view routine vaccination programs for children as a cost- effective way to reduce the spread of this disease.

The highest rate of hepatitis A is among children 5-14 years of age. Almost 30 percent of reported cases of hepatitis A occur among children under 15 years of age. The reason children are at high risk is that they frequently come into close contact with other children in school and at daycare. Approximately 15 percent of reported cases of hepatitis A occur among children or employees in daycare centers. Hepatitis A infection in very young children can be mild or without symptoms. It can be easily transmitted to older children and adults who are likely to develop severe symptoms and may require hospitalization.

States With High Rates Of Hepatitis A

The October 1, 1999 Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) sent out by the CDC addresses the ACIP's recommendation for routine hepatitis A vaccination for children in states where the average annual hepatitis A rate during 1987 to 1997 was at least twice the national average rate--or 20 cases per every 100,000 people. Eleven states fall into this category: Arizona, Alaska, California, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah and Washington. The ACIP also recommends routine hepatitis A vaccination in counties or communities in any state where the average hepatitis A rate during 1987 to 1997 was at least 20 per 100,000.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summeries please, with links pointing to the source.......

Jeff, you are getting long winded these days...

and being a laughing man doesn't help.....

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps