Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » McDonald's Sued for Maggot-Infested Cheeseburger (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: McDonald's Sued for Maggot-Infested Cheeseburger
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Thanks, Jeff"

Um. For ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, in the X-files episode somewhere in Season II there was a british arsonist who killed people with rocketfuel.
He got some of his own medicine in the end, but had a supernatural resistance to fire, so after having had 80% of his body covered with ** degree burns (I remember Scully naming some two digit degree in her med report in the end) he had about a month or two left until full recovery.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess whether or not a hot cup of coffee depends on the person, the duration of contact between skin and hot liquid, the sheilding between skin and hot liquid, and the amount of hot liquid involved in the burn.

For an example, here's a link to an article over at Snopes Urban Legend Pages.

It's a gruesome story, so I'll summarize. A guy jumped into a boiling hot spring to save his friend's dog. He received third degree burns over 100% of his body since he dive into the hot spring and swam out to try and get the dog. He died shortly afterwards (as did the dog). His friend waded out into foot-deep water to pull this guy the rest of the way out of the hot spring. He received second degree burns on his feet.

The guy who tried to rescue the dog totally emmersed himself in boiling water for a long duration. His clothing provided no sort of a shielding. He received deadly burns. His friend, on the otherhand, spent about a minute of two with his feet in the water to pull him out. His shoes provided some shielding. Although his feet were immersed in the water, he only suffered second degree burns. The article doesn't say if those covers all of his feet or just parts. Those were the only burns that the friend got, which is kinda surprising considering his had to bend down and pick up his friend (who was still in the water and quite probably very hot as well). He should have burned his hands as well.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The woman recieved such severe burns because:

A.) The coffee was quite hot.

B.) It quickly soaked into the polyester sort of pantsuit thing she was wearing, and was held close to the flesh.

C.) She was 78 (or 79), and couldn't get away from it.

I think the last might be most important. A younger person would leap away from boiling water applied to the gentitals. A normal one, anyway.

Of course, it isn't McDonald's fault that she was old. Which is why there is room for reasonable people to disagree over the outcome. But it bothers to me to see what's essentially the urban legend version of this incident get passed around as fact.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boiled alive? I'm not even gonna LOOK at that link. *shudder*

Evil McDonalds franchises have been in the news over here too:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4226793,00.html

. . . for child labour offences, this time.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How this relates to McDonald's I don't understand:

RSPCA hits out over cat killer's pet ban
Staff and agencies
Guardian

Tuesday July 24, 2001

A mother-of-two who cooked the family cat in a microwave after one of the animal's fleas bit her on the leg yesterday escaped jail.

Nadine Trewin, 31, had admitted cruelly ill-treating female tabby cat Sasha at her home in Crawley, West Sussex, last March.

She was sentenced to a two year community rehabilitation order, and banned from keeping animals for five years, by Crawley magistrates.

The RSPCA, which brought the case hit out at the ban as "far too lenient". A spokeswoman said: "We feel she should have received a lifetime ban because the act was deliberate."

Trewin had changed her plea to admit cruelty during a trial at Horsham magistrates court last month.

The court heard that Trewin, who had drunk seven cans of lager and almost two bottles of wine, became angry with the cat when she was bitten by the flea.

Trewin had claimed the cat jumped into the microwave before the door accidentally slammed shut, activating the oven.

She said the cat had cooked for less than a minute, but then the animal failed to move so she tipped it out of the oven from the kitchen window. She later buried it in the back garden.

Two days later Trewin told her friend, Stacey Passmore, that she had killed the six-year-old cat. Miss Passmore was so upset she decided to contact the RSPCA.

Sentencing Trewin deputy district judge Kevin Gladwell said: "This was a quite a horrific incident. This cat clearly suffered at your hands."

Outside the court, a group of protesters gathered and placed a placard on the pavement which read "Nadine Trewin - Cat Killer".

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What. . . the. . . fuck?! I KNOW I was on the right page when I copied the URL, and I know it copied! Bloody Guardian online.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4231649,00.html

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps