Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » We can't get along wiht the political left!!!! We must defeat them! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: We can't get along wiht the political left!!!! We must defeat them!
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehe. Rush Limbaugh is such a dumbass. LOL So, in other words, we must get rid of all those who have political views that differ from Rush's??

Also he was just raving about how the missle defense system is a big success! Even though the failure to success ratio is 2:1! That isn't very good. So if nuclear missles were launched towards Chicago, New York, and Atlanta. Only one would make it through. Oh yeah. I say the defense system is a HUGE success so far. And I'm not so sure if this one success was because the military fixed the bugs or if it was a success due to blind luck!

Which one of you were saying that Rush Limbaugh's little theroies are pretty sound except for one small flaw. He rarely knows what he's talking about?

IP: Logged
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The test WAS a success.

And it was the FIRST test of the revised and REBUILT system, not the same old system they used last time.

You don't equate tests of experimental prototype equipment with final performance, anyway. New technology ALWAYS goes through a test phase before it can be relied upon. That's why the mission to the Moon was Apollo 11, not Apollo 1.

Edison failed something like 10,000 times before he hit upon the solution which allowed him to manufacture the incandescent lightbulb... so that's 10,000 to 1 failure rate... but I don't see you saying that lightbulb technology is unreliable.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MIB use candle.

Proven technology.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

MIB
Ex-Member

LOL Me also use stone slab and chisel.

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edison's experiments also cost a hell of a lot less then the missile experiments.

But, here's a question: can the missile system shoot down a missile it doesn't know WHERE and WHEN is in the air? I mean, it's not like Iran is going to be nice enough to call up Dubya and say, "hi, we launched a nuclear missile at D.C. It should be passing over your east coast in about ten minutes..."

It also doesn't protect against the more realistic use of nuclear weapons: smuggled into the U.S., and detonated in a truck or some-such.

MAD works better. Actually, it's not even MAD. Since the major threat is rogue states, it's: "You hit us with one missile, we hit you with fifty." So, really, it's SUICIDE.

Anyway, the missile program sounds nice, but it's a big waste of money. And of course, the Republicans blame the skyrocketting budget on the Democrats ... yeeesh ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

Yeah! Ya know the Daily Show made a joke about that. It went something like, "Thanks to the missle defense system, America is now safe from enemy nuclear missles just as long as the enemy tells us exactly where their missles are, when they're firing them, and where they're heading."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Democrats saying that the missle defense system, as it currently is, is a waste of money? Why are they being blamed for the skyrocketing budget?

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, here's a question: can the missile system shoot down a missile it doesn't know WHERE and WHEN is in the air?

It doesn't have to be able to. We can detect a nuclear launch anywhere, any time. Satelites are nifty like that. Extrapolating the trajectory is child's play.

Anyway, the missile program sounds nice, but it's a big waste of money.

If you're right, and I'm wrong, we'd waste money. You shouldn't have any problem with that, seeing as you're a Democrat.

If I'm right, and you're wrong, several million people would die.

I pick "A". You should, too, considering the DC/Baltimore area would be a prime target.

MIB:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Democrats saying that the missle defense system, as it currently is, is a waste of money?

So protecting the people of the US is a waste of money to the Democrats? And WHY, exactly, do you elect these people, again?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering that we haven't been attacked by nuclear missiles in -- what? -- the nearly sixty years they've been out there, I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. We go back to the MAD/SUICIDE scenario.

How does STAR WARS protect against terrorists smuggling a nuke across the Canadian or Mexican borders? Or landing it on the coast (we've got lots of them)? How does STAR WARS prevent nukes from being placed in a truck next to the White House and blowing the city to smitheerens?

It doesn't.

If you want to focus on preventing nuclear attacks, fine. But let's do it realistically. I mean, christ, what are we expecting here, an invasion of Martians?

Speaking of which ... MIB, your spelling sucks.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

Yeah, well I was never a very good speller. My participation in a spelling bee would be like a midget participating in a NBA basketball game. LOL.

Overall, I agree with Jeff. Star Wars was the product of Soviet paranoia. Soviet Russia is dead and now Bush is trying to invent a new enemy of the U.S. so he can be the man who made sure we don't get nuked.

If you were Saddam Husien, (husain, husein?) what kind of mass destuction would you prefer. Launching a nuke only to get it shot down, by America's not-so-secret missle defense system, and afterwards, get bombed back into the stone age, OR give someone a passport send him/her to America and have him/her quietly chuck a can of anthrax in to the New York city reservoir? (You see!! I didn't misspell reservoir! I used a dictionary this time! )

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somebody's been watching too many George Clooney movies.

The most likely threat is STILL from an ICBM, which China now has, and which N. Korea, Iran, and other states are trying to develop.

And something they're keeping quiet is that a missile-killer could also be utilized as a satellite killer, thus allowing disruption of enemy communications, surveillance, and positioning technology, elements crucial to modern warfare.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the new reality: Cold War II.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

As I understand it, satellites can't be everywhere. They can't see everything, all the time. And while this might just be me reading too much Tom Clancy, is Kjakistaniania decides to launch a nuke, they'll wait until our satellite has passed over them and then launch.

MAD is a proven system. The proof is quite simply that we're still here, and we didn't get toasted. The closest we've ever come to nuclear war was the Cuban Missile Crisis, which thankfully, cool heads got us through.

STAR WARS is unproven. While it's fine for the Soviet Cold War, it doesn't strike me as being realistic. First of all, China doesn't exactly seem hell bent on suicide, especially not with the Olympics in a few years. We didn't HAVE trade with the USSR like we have with China. Have you seen all of the products that are made in China that we have? People like to ignore the economic ties.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, may the great Clancy forgive me, neither MAD not Star Wars is an optimal system.

The damn things are just too dangerous to exist - especially in the hands of nations with (shall we say it politely) unstable governments and undetectable morals. (I know, I know).

We will live to see the US finally decide to launch a pre-emptive world-wide choreographed strike, in which corps of rangers/engineers invade every country with mass weapons, eliminating them.

I'm not saying it's a good thing. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm saying it will happen. And GDB is just the kind of guy to do it.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

JeffK, ever heard of geosynchronous sattelites? They stay in one place and monitor an entire region. Those are the kind that we use to detect launches.

I should also let it be known that MY administration will have no interest in 'destroying' China, or, for that matter, any other country (except France.)

Enforced containment, economic and other rewards for actions we approve of and economic and other punishments for actions we disapprove of, and guaranteed total annihilation in the event WE or our allies are attacked first, yes. But other than that, my policy will be hands-off.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob, do us all a favor and run for SOMETHING. How's governor sound to you? I know it's not Emperor, but you have to learn to make compromises.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps