Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Pop Tart Sued Over House Fire (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Pop Tart Sued Over House Fire
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am an idiot.
How does leaving two food items in a toaster cause a house to catch fire?
My experience with toasters is that the items use heat when cooking bread. When the bread is done cooking, the toaster ceases to heat the food. I don't see the danger involved with either.
I did a few times cause a localized, small fire. This came when I didn't pay attention to butter that was being cooked. I can understand how butter can cause fire-the butter has oils. Does a pop-tart have oil or other flammable materials?

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno. I haven't tried the Keroseneoberry ones yet.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm baffled you guys haven't had a visit from the "don't-run-with-scissors" badger. He has a lot to teach you.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the article said that the couple was also suing the toaster company for the fire. Now while I would understand a defective electrical item burning down a house, I would not understand WHY they are suing Kelloggs in the first place!!!

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More money, of course.

Was it at a major league game that you got nicked?

Nope, minor league. Nashville Sounds, as I recall, around eight years back. The jerk behind me grabbed the bat after it landed. He also got a ball and won the little number sweepstakes. Crap.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm amazed. All these replies yet not one Geri Halliwell arson gag.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So make one.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know Geri liked to set fire to things. The stuff you learn onthe internet.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to set fire to my cats.

Just kidding ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm amazed. All these replies yet not one Geri Halliwell arson gag."

And no jokes about the pope being eaten by a giant frog, either. It's incredible the number of unrelated things that don't get mentioned in a thread...

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

The pope was eaten by a giant frog?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, no.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While raining frogs is a documented phenomenon, I'm not as sure about raining men.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Pop-Tarts, which are filled with fruit preserves, carry a warning on the box advising customers not to leave the toaster unattended due to a possible risk of fire."

That should end the case nice and fast

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, no. It's the legal definition of "unattended" in this instance that counts. Should you stand right by and watch the toaster like a hawk? Or it it OK to just be in the kitchen? How about in the next room? How long does a Pop Tart take anyway? Do they require a specific setting (or range of settings, given the differences in design between manufacturers)?

That said, popping out in the car for 20 minutes to run an errand isn't going to cut much ice with a judge.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps