Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Violence in video games (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Violence in video games
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well let's bust out the phaser rifles and lightsabers then cuz I wanna see blood... lots of it!!!!!

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If only Elite Force was more realistic, I'd probably enjoy it. Elite Force 2 doesn't look any better. :\

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This place makes less and less sense every day...
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raise shields!

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ban words, not guns....
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I violence like. Want America go I. Shoot range every corner on. Everyone Glock own. Country great! Viva la France!
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May days are when the place in which we is are making less of sense!
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, sometimes parents blame games for violence because they obviously can't blame themselves for not noticing their children's violent tendencies. My mom was asking me about EverQuest the other day because some kid's mom blamed it for inducing him to suicide since he played it all the time. Not only does that baffle anyone who's ever seen EverQuest played, but simple psychology would suggest the kid was spending so much time in a fantasy world BECAUSE he had problems.

But, on the other hand, it is also stupid to assume violent video games do NOT affect people's tendencies to violence. If the media doesn't affect people, why do companies bother putting out ads?

--------------------
life creation in progress

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The gun is good....The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life, and poisons the earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the gun shoots death, and purifies the earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth and kill!"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow.. that's intense

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

I hold myself up in my bedroom and play violent video games quite often. And I have no anger towards real life as a result of it. I love sniping enemy soldiers in the leg, seeing the exposed bone and watching them fall to the ground in pain. It's great. And it's just a simulation. One which doesn't fuel me to go harm myself or others. Nor does seeing airplanes fly into things. I don't want to go hurt those that hurt others. I've no hostilities from the things I expose myself to. I happen to enjoy blowing limbs off people in video games, but I have a very weak stomach for anything of that matter that's real. I'm a wussy of sorts. I'm a virtual badass who wouldn't hurt a fly.

[ May 29, 2002, 01:41: Message edited by: DeadCujo ]

--------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the morals, not the video games that cause children to shoot people. It is the parents who do not enforce any type of behavior restrictions on their kids, so they grow up thinking they can get away with anything. Think about it, for example, parents who bring children to love God, is not going to go shoot people because hey are jocks or whatever.

I think all of us were brought up to believe (and personally believe) that killing life is a wrong way to go. That and along the line that you will pay for such actions.

It's al about their personality, it has nothing to do with TV, Movie or Game violence. Al it is a scapegoat so that it wouldn't be like saying "They were brought up that way."

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
parents who bring children to love God, is not going to go shoot people because hey are jocks or whatever.
Quit while you're ahead. You had a good argument up to that point.
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True that certain aspects of worshipping God is bad, but can you reall see someone who goes to church every Sunday, who loves God, and would later in that week go in school and kill people because of TV or games?

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should be interesting. But not here.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps