Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Violence in video games (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Violence in video games
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
True that certain aspects of worshipping God is bad, but can you reall see someone who goes to church every Sunday, who loves God, and would later in that week go in school and kill people because of TV or games?

I AM POSSESSED OF FIRST OF TWO!

"There have been many examples of massacres occuring throughout history in the name of religion. I know this because I work in a library, and have read books. The crusades was bad. People died. I read this in a book. Because I'm better than all of you. Fuckwits. The KKK, there's another one. They are sometimes religious, and they sometimes kill, thereby my argument is right. I want my financial aid!"

I AM NO LONGER POSSESSED!

Tora is pretty much right. It's daft to think that violent computer games don't have any effect. We are shaped by what we see every day. However, the logic leap from "Huh huh, I made him bleed in Soldier of Fortune" to "DIE everyone who has ever looked at me funny" is bigger than Jeff's deer killing record.

It is also a scapegoat though. Witness the Columbine (I think) parents blaming Doom, saying that one of the killers named his gun after a character in Doom, which he didn't, mainly as the characters in Doom don't actually have names.

Banning stuff like this is wrong though, as is banning anything. If you want to stop people from being racist, you don't remove racist publications. You create a society where people would not see the need. Tackle to problem, not one of the causes.

And I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with playing violent games, providing you are old enough. Although reading " I love sniping enemy soldiers in the leg, seeing the exposed bone and watching them fall to the ground in pain. It's great." does make me wonder...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would kill John Carmack to have Doom III right now. So I can kill in Doom III. It's a circle of sorts.
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As would I. [Smile]

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand...

Someone tell me how to cheat on SoF2 PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did the "command line" changes, but every time I try the cheat on console, damn thing told me "cheats are not allowed on this server"

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Run it with +set sv_cheats on the comnand line [Big Grin]

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you still have to manually load a map (i.e. via the console) for the cheats to work.

Finished SOF2 yesterday. Going back for another round of politically correct dismemberfests [Smile]

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course we're assuming you are running your own map/single player game, otherwise if you're playing online...the cheat code is alt-ctrl-del, twice in quick succession.
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

Oops, I meant +set sv_cheats 1

I do not have to load the maps in order to cheat, they work straight out if you set that command while starting the program.

--------------------

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, my problem here is that I've set the command line already, and the cheat still doesn't work.

So, the only alternative for me is to load the map manually each time?

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

I think I loaded the map via map mapname the first time, and then the savegames I would then load when I played kept the cheat mode on.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could just learn to stop looking for the easy fix and learn how to play the bloody thing properly.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are you talking about, Liam? The Doom-characters had names; Imp, Lost Soul, Cacodemon, Arch-Vile, etc.
Or did you mean individual names, like the pink monster "Biph", that comes in level four, or the resurrected marine "Guy Gadbois" of level 8?
Those don't exist.

After finishing the last level of Doom II you get a full lineup of all monsters.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doom was a cultural watershed. IBM claimed to have lost over forty million dollars (in some kind of bizarre Lost Productivity calculation) because of employees holding Doomfests over the network.

I had to drop my first Journalism class because I was too busy playing Doom in the dorms.

Thankfully something like Unreal Tournament wasn't around back then. Hearing neo-geeks scream "DIE BITCH" while furiously clicking a mouse is infinitely more satisfying than writing a dull piece on the bowling teams latest loss to the aggies.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

You're right Nimmy. What I meant to say was that the name allegedly given to the boys gun from Doom II was a name that wasn't IN Doom II. If you get what I mean.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps