Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » So, Species 8472 lives in the beta quad. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So, Species 8472 lives in the beta quad.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Message In a Bottle also shows the Beta Quadrant in the "4 o'clock" position... The Prommie was on the edge of Romulan space there.

If you lived in Maine... Florida is ALSO on the otherside of the country...

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is that I really don't want to see Seven getting all smootchy and human-like with her new little idealist Borg-toy. If they're gonna be plowing through the Beta Quadrant, you know they're gonna hook up. That might just be too painful for me to watch.

------------------
"I�d say we have about three hours before we get a call from mister brain-bomb." - VIDROS

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like that ST production staff members need some re-education about the Greek alphabet. Not only did they ordered the quadrants Alpha, Beta, Delta, Gamma counter-clockwise, but the TNG:TM also shows a graphic of a tricorder with a couple of buttons ordered
-----------

(AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH! Why do ASCII figures always get f**ked up??!!)

if I remember it correctly. Anyway, it was screwed up.

------------------
"And as we all know, a mesolytic quantumvector resonator is commonly
used to polarize isogravitic plasma-flux manifolds."

Starfleet Academy's Redshirt Guide to the Starfleet, 62nd edition,

[This message has been edited by Alpha Centauri (edited October 07, 2000).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tricorder drawing in the TNG TM was indeed screwed up, but none of the actual tricorder props were - they always had a regular alpha-beta-gamma-delta sequence for those four mysterious buttons.

The only map to use the actual names "Alpha Quadrant" and "Beta Quadrant" yet may be the one we saw in "Message in a Bottle", but there are other maps of interest. TNG used a map with lots of little yellow boxes, in two different versions. One was an "edge-on" perspective view to our galaxy, with the core on the background, Klingon and Romulan homeworlds to the right and numerous TOS locations and real star names scattered to the left. This was apparently supposed to be some sort of a UFP map, and was shown in several TNG episodes. DS9 resurrected the map for the O'Brien schoolroom wall decoration, and supposedly added Cardassia and Bajor to the left side of the map.

Some other TNG episodes like "The Emissary" used a traditional view of the galaxy from "above", with the little boxes drawn on the lower half of the map, Earth on the vertical centerline.

If the TNG/DS9 box map is to be believed, then "lower right" is where Klingons and Romulans live, and "lower left" is where the Cardassians are. "Directly down" from galactic core is where Earth sits. This all agrees with the idea that Alpha is lower left and Beta is lower right, since Cardassia is definitely in Alpha while Klingons have at least some holdings in Beta (as per ST6). However, this map tells nothing about the relative arrangements of Delta and Gamma. In fact, it predates the invention of galactic quadrants by Paramount.

Also of interest is the fact that the "box map" shows a Federation thousands of lightyears across, with something like 10,000 ly between Earth and Cardassia alone. Unless this is some sort of a "zoom-in" map, of course...

Timo Saloniemi

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Gee. Mine has the other quadrants clearly labeled. It also shows the end of the Bajoran Wormhole and the location of the Caretaker's Array from Voyager.

However, your other point is easilly conceded:
I have scanned and blown up the map, and the Federation shown is about 1500ly across, while the Ferengi get 2000ly, and Cardassia 3500. The Romulan Border is 2000ly from Federation space, and every other power is more than 1000ly away. And more...

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2000LY for the FERENGI!?

I seriously doubt that their space extends much beyond their homeworld, unless they've got some other races couquered. Ferengi females can't leave the homeworld, so how're they gonna start colonies?

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By purchasing them, I imagine.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
To be claer (which I wasn't), the thing I called "mine" was not a thing of my own creation. I was refering to the map in the DS9 Tech Manula, which (at least I thought), someone had said wasn't labeled.

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For clarity's sake, it should be mentioned that there are two relevant maps in the DS9 TM. One shows the entire galaxy, with those huge thousand-ly empires labeled. Another shows Bajor, Cardassia and Ferenginar, all neatly within 50 ly of each other.

Also, the text basically confirms the scale of this latter map and contradicts the former. Even if we assume that the latter map omits 3D info and Ferenginar is actually thousands of lightyears "above" or "below" the map plane, the text clearly says that it's just 50 ly from Bajor to the "UFP inner defence perimeter" or somesuch. This doesn't agree with the wide gulfs between Earth, Cardassian territory and Ferengi territory seen in the former map.

So the galactic map must be "partially zoomed in" into the empires of interest, or something like that.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gather that the Ferengi may have conquered the Hypurians... (Zek's butler Maihardu) and Hypurian Beetle Snuff... and in "Legends of the Ferengi" (Yeah not canon but written by them so...) That the only real war fought by the Ferengi was against the Hypurians...

Of course Ferengi Women probably can leave Ferenginar - they just have to probably be 'shipped' like cargo.

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

Which brings to mind... What was the race that threatened the ten brave Ferengi who later became legends for standing their ground (and being slaughtered to the last goblin)? You know, the legend Nog quoted in "The Magnificient Ferengi"?

I would assume that the Ferengi had traveled quite far from their homeworld before they made contact with the Federation. After all, they lament in "The Nagus" that the entire Alpha quadrant already knows them by their bad reputation. How much of that "entire" is hyperbole is left for the reader to decide, but it sounds as if the Ferengi indeed had a trade empire at least a couple of thousand lightyears across.

A trade empire, mind you - not one where the planets have been conquered and occupied. The Ferengi have probably roamed space skipping the unpromising sales prospects and concentrating on the profitable ones. The Federation first met them at Gamma Tauri, and anything with "Taurus" in the name should be towards the rim from Earth - but all maps show Ferenginar corewards and rotationwards from Earth. So this would suggest that there was lots of Ferengi-visited space between Ferenginar and Gamma Tauri, but this space was not really occupied or even truly frequented by the Ferengi and the Feds thus never met them there.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Of course the Ferengi might have DELIBERATELY avoided the Federation... instead dealing with 'easier targets' like say hmm... the Denebians... you know from Encounter...

Andrew

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps