Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What went wrong? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What went wrong?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, "Doc" was the old guy? Okay... I don't know why I didn't guess that...

------------------
"...I know this board in secret, intimate ways which are beyond your comprehension.... Let's just say that people should *not* be telling me what to do; it should always be the other way around."
-"Red Quacker", conspiracy theorist and contemporary lunatic

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...

We went from discussing where Voyager ballsed things up, to a debate about the Eugenics Wars (that I apparently lived through [?!]), to considering the careers of the Police Academy actors, to puzzling over the identity of the token human on Fraggle Rock.

I love this place

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm amazed no one has elaborated on what DID screw Voyager up from the get-go... They took a flawed premise and then executed it very poorly at first.

Okay. First you've got a ship full of people who joined Starfleet to "boldly go", et cetera, captained by a self-acknowledged scientist, who suddenly find themselves in a part of the galaxy no one's ever been and they're gonna whine about getting home ASAP? Even though he was an idiot for doing so, at least Picard was true to the "explorer" character by saying "hey, let's see what's out here" in "Q Who?".

Then they compounded things by spending the bulk of the first couple seasons giving us "we found a way home! -- Oops, no we didn't..." stories. I liked "The '37's", and wish it had been in the first season as it was originally supposed to be. For that matter, I wish they had done something slightly different, in having Voyager's nacelles usually in the "up" position and only lowered to land. It would have been a nice surprise for the audience.

And of course, by the time TPTB started trying to get the show on a better track, the characters were established, and the whininess couldn't be just done away with overnight. And the show was getting gradually better until Brannon took over the reins.

And before you start singing the praises of Brannon Braga, he's the one who'll run the franchise into the ground if given the chance -- which, with the new series, it seems he has been. He CO-wrote both Generations and First Contact with Ron Moore, and it was Ron who talked him down from his stupider notions. Braga was the one who put Scotty on the E-B, despite it being pointed out that we had already seen that by the TNG timeframe, he thinks Kirk is alive still, he said "so what? That was only one episode. Who's gonna remember something like that?" Hands up, all of you... And he was fortunately talked out of making Zefram Cochrane a woman to be Picard's love interest in FC. Same argument -- "That was only one episode, and decades ago at that. Who's gonna remember something like that?" He's the one who has been quoted in several interviews as saying "continuity is for wussies" and variations on that. He's a good writer, as long as he has someone editing him...

Best episodes of the series, IMO, include "Meld", "Blood Fever", and "Message in a Bottle". But there have been a lot of clinkers, too...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

[This message has been edited by Peregrinus (edited March 11, 2001).]

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
voyager didn't go wrong first of all. i found no flaws in it before visiting online messageboards, some people just like to find flaws with things and others just go along to be "cool" and then there are the newbies which see everyone else hating voyager and decide to agree with them in order for them to be accepted.

------------------
Go to my site ST Infinity or you'll cause the release of another Olsen Twins movie. Do you want that on your conscience?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, "self acknowledged scientist" or not, Janeway has really been forced to line-dance between the urge to get home and the urge to explore, this Caretaker accident being the chance of a lifetime. But she's never hesitated whenever they found a chance at a shortcut, provided it was ethical (caretaker-core in "TVC", alien powerjuice in "Equinox").

If they can get away with making high-ranking officers out of maquis, they'll likely be very appreciated for finding out so much about the delta quadrant whilst staying alive and keeping the best traditions of Starfleet.
I'll wager some of the numerous modifications to the ship will also up the standard of ship technology and gadgets. Too bad Paris bulkhead-mod in "year of hell" never was made. And the isokinetic cannon could've made an unexpected entrance, if used sparingly and with care.
And they'll make it into the history books for executing the most thorough shakedown cruise of all time...

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that most of the episodes people name when they think of Voyager's best were produced while Braga with either executive producer or producer-in-training. As I recall, IMHO, IMHOTEP, etc.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

[This message has been edited by Sol System (edited March 12, 2001).]

DARKSTAR
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Throughout Voyager's almost seven year run; The Crew's passion for getting home has never died. I know continuity hasn't been Voyager's strong point but the fact that it was always fresh in each episode.
Changes
Voyager should have had more chances to go off it's course so that it wasn't always sticking to it's beeline course to Earth. I would have had the Borg introduced more dramatically. I would have had Voyager warping through space until it came to a stop when the probe stopped transmitting.I would have had Janeway and Cakotay in Engineering sying the following
Janeway "When did the probe stop transmitting?"
Chakotay "Precisely 3 hours ago"
Janeway "Where was it to when it stopped transmitting?"
Chakotay "In a region 20 light years ahead"
COMPUTER PLAYS BACK LAST IMAGES
Chakotay "Well Kathryn Looks like this is the moment we feared!"
Janeway "Borg Space"
Janeway "All Senior Staff report to the Observation room"

IP: Logged
Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ermm...that's not too far off what actually happened in 'Scorpion, Part I', Darkstar.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go easy on the kid, he's from Swindown. 8)

------------------
Ross: This is not good for my rage. *takes another pill*

DARKSTAR
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not originally from Swindon but I came from Tiverton in Devon.
IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Devon? That explains, well, something. Probably.

To be fair to Janeway, her situation is very different from Picards in Q Who. He was thrown just over 2 years travel away. She was thrown 40 years. That's a whopping difference.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

Lee: You really, really wouldn't like to see me pissed, would you? Only asking, BTW

I wonder is that how all Devon-folk type, you know, having a style like their daft accent.

Because Devon knows how they make it so friggin' incomprehensible.

------------------

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I dunno, Gasey, y'all should come over to Blighty for the next Flare UK get-together and we'll see. 8)

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Then I could spend all the time pretending to be Oirsh-Angel. From Galway. It would be hilarious. Trust me on this.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Lee
Member # 393

Can I be Wesley?

------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps