Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » I have to be honest [this has developed "Endgame" spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I have to be honest [this has developed "Endgame" spoilers]
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He, why isn't there a smiley attached to '8)'??

We do have one:

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. '8)' is '8)' and that's how it will always be. It's nothing to do with astonishment anyway, it's just my smiley, my trademark. Something people overlooked during my many months as an obnoxious Australian. . .

Obnoxious Australian? Isn't that an oxymoron? No, the opposite of it - a redundancy, or something? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops.

I finally saw Endgame on tape.

I liked it. I didn't think it was Shakespeare, but I thought it was a good finale.

I'm not being obtuse - but what was all the shooting about? Better than average sci-fi.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The shouting is for the most part about two things:

1) Trek should stay away from time travel. None of the ways they've shown it really match the other ways they've shown it. They need to find a "belief" and stick with it. As presented in "Endgame", it's unclear whether it's intended to reflect a new parallel reality or a sincle "corrected" timeline. If the latter, events would be self-terminating -- as soon as the transwarp conduit closed behind Voyager, everything would be reset to before Admiral Janeway's temporal rift formed.

2) We've known since the first episode that they'd get home. So for a finale, this left the producers with two viable options -- either they don't make it home after all, or we see what happens after they get back (fate of the Maquis, Janeway's probable inquiry, what happens to Seven and the Doctor, etc.)... Instead, we just saw them get back home. Wank.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But we did see, in rough sketches, what would happen. The Parises will be a nice happy family, Kim will get to pursue his career, the Doctor gets to become the galaxy's foremost artificial intelligence without a physical body, and so on. Trying to tack on something like a board of inquiry to the end would have, in my opinion, spoiled the whole flow of the episode.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just because I watch Star Trek doesn't mean I don't have a life. I'm just obsessed with all the minor details in things which include my life.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Xanthi
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to miss Voyager too .
It's what started it all for me and it's still my favourite. Although here in Australia it will most likely be over a year till we see Endgame so I have a year of Voyager left to enjoy

As for Enterprise, I will attempt not to bag it anymore, who knows it could surprise us all. But in any case it's all we have left besides our memories.

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon: That's not all necessarily true. The Parises could end up totally different. For one thing, their kid is going to live her entire life in the "alpha quadrant", rather than spending her first sixteen years on Voyager. For all we know, Kim was supposed to be promoted during that time, and that's why he advanced later. Now he's returned to Earth still an ensign.

Basically, everything's different.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well of course things will be different. That's why I said "rough sketches."
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But they aren't even that. What if, growing up on Voyager, Little Torres learns "discipline" and "order" and all that early on, and becomes a fine, upstanding Starfleet officer, and her parents are proud and happy and giggly and whatever (as we see them all in "Endgame"). But, in the new timeline, she grows up on Earth, w/ little exposure to Starfleet ideas except from her parents, so she turns into a rebellious kid and... I dunno... does bad stuff. The family is unhappy, Tom and B'Elanna break up, Tom kills himself by crashing his shuttle, Little Torres ends up in prison, and so on...

See how it can be totally different?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

All I'm saying is that the episode gave me the impression that the "real" future is going to be the alternate one but brighter.
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Deanna isn't going to die and Picard isn't going to have a degenernative mental disorder.

Oops--wrong time-traveling series finale. What I meant to say was:

Yeah, Seven isn't going to die and Tuvok isn't going to have a degenernative mental disorder.

[ June 14, 2001: Message edited by: Obi Juan ]

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

*L*
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hehe i need to stop saying that people are gonna start taking it the wrong way. and DAMN RIGHT!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps