Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Flash Back" Continuity (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: "Flash Back" Continuity
Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the first scene in Star Trek 6, and found that Tim Russ was nowhere on the Excelsior's bridge, and there were no exploding console(s), like in the VOY episode, Flashback.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Russ wasn't even cast in ST6 because no one knew about Tuvok yet. But remember that Tuvok's Science station was near the front of the bridge. IIRC, the scenes from ST6 never showed that part of the bridge. For the scene at the end with the bridge crew standing by Sulu, it's possible Tuvok wasn't on duty at the time and therefore would not be present. Or he could be off to one side and the bridge camera didn't capture him in the frame. And the exploding consoles were part of events on Excelsior which were never portrayed in ST6 anyway. Flashback made it seem that Valtane died but for all we know, he might have survived. The episode never made it clear if he died or not. The virus could have just jumped to Tuvok as a precaution in the event that Valtane would die.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is TUC out on DVD? If not, it would be cool if they digitally added him in there in that final scene.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, TUC is out on DVD. All they have is one feature: Theatrical Trailer. That sucks, doesn't it?

--------------------
Meh

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it for recently and it does suck. At least the TVH DVD had that segment with Leonard Nimoy.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that does suck.

Maybe after X comes to DVD, they'll re-release all of 'em with some extra tidbits in some sort of set? ::crosses fingers::

--------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that once TMP-SE comes out Paramount will wait and see how sucessful it is. If it makes a certain amount of money, they may go ahead and do TWoK-SE and so on. At least that's my reason for not buying any of the Trek movies on DVD yet.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of contiunuity, what about Relics and Generations?

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scotty was too long in the transporter which caused damage to his memories.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. In order to save "Relics" (a pretty good episode) from bashing because of minor continuity slipups (which in this case were the fault of the movie, not the episode), let's list the whole heap of errors in "Flashback" (a pretty bad episode). Feel free to add more errors (which in this case were the fault of the episode, not the movie).

-Valtane a junior officer instead of a Commander
-Valtane supposedly dies, while in the movie, he lives
-Rand a Commander instead of a junior officer
-Rand claims it took her three years to make Ensign rank - why and how? The Academy takes four years or more. Why should somebody starting as an enlisted make faster progress?
-A few days pass between the Praxis explosion and Kirk's and McCoy's imprisonment, instead of six months as stated in the movie
-Tuvok, Valtane and a bunch of others sleep in their full uniforms, despite NOT having filled their gills with Romulan ale

Timo Saloniemi

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never got the sleeping in few uniform thing either. If it were me, I would of at least taken off the jacket. Also get a decent pillow and sheets.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's another little nit...not really a continuity thing, just a funny slip-up:

After the scene where all the junior officers are in their bunks and Tuvok is "arguing' with Valtane, the alarm goes off and they all get up to go back on duty. Tuvok sits up and tries desperately to get his tunic buttoned as he talks to Janeway. When the conversation is over and they get up to leave, the tunic comes undone again. I just thought that was funny.

And, as for that room they were laying down in, I guess I always thought of it as a ready room of sorts, or maybe a lounge. I doubt it was actual quarters. Rand walked right in as though it was a fairly common area.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I thought of at first. But what sort of readiness do you maintain down on Deck 7 (as blatantly displayed by that silly sign visible through the doorway) when you are stationed on the bridge?

Timo Saloniemi

OnToMars
Member # 621

quote:
Only a few years after releasing the last 8 Star Trek films on DVD without adding any extra features, Paramount is now considering creating special DVD editions of each movie after they've released 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' in November.

::keeps fingers crossed::

http://www.trektoday.com/news/200801_04.shtml

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's understandable that Rand should be a Senior Officer while Valtane a Junior Officer, given that Rand is a long standing character of Trek. Besides, being a senior officer does not mean that only certain duties can be performed.

As for Rand being an Ensign in three years, consider Wesley. He was an Ensign when he went to the Academy. Saavik was a Lieutenant when she was in the Academy, as well as (conjecturally) James Kirk.

But the way I see things, the whole Flashback thing was a piss-poor excuse to bring Sulu back. Really, do you think Sulu would try to barge in to Klingon Space (phasers blazing) without a decent strategy like Spock? I'd expect better.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps