Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Flash Back" Continuity (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: "Flash Back" Continuity
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't buy the idea of Saavik being in the Academy in ST2, really, nor the idea that Kirk held rank before graduation.

And it still seems odd for Rand to need exactly three years to become an Ensign. She spent far more than three years in noncom duties before we first saw her (or a character played by GLW) with an officer's pin (in ST3 for a generic GLW character, in ST6 for a confirmed Rand sighting). Why single out any three years of that time, unless they are supposed to represent some sort of a "NCO-to-commission" course? And why would that course take so long when full Academy studies for a complete rookie take just a year longer?

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that the person in STIII was Rand:

This char had full commander-rank, another GWL-char (probably Rand) was a NCO in STVI, and finally Lt. JG Rand in TUC.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Timo, it's completely possible if they were attending the Academy for advanced courses. Consider:

In the USN, prospective pilots will graduate the Academy with the rank of Ensign, and go on to flight schooling, where they will rise to Lieutenant (j.g.). All this during constant schooling.

If Command Courses required an applicant to first graduate the Academy with the rank of Ensign, and then, after (say) a two year service period aboard a ship or facility, enter Command School at the rank of Lieutenant (j.g.), it makes perfect sense ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this is what I'd imagine happened to Saavik. She wouldn't have been an undergraduate, but a real commissioned officer, just in for some additional training.

Kirk could have undergone similar training after his graduation as Ensign. He would have served aboard the Republic as part of that training, "several years" after his cadet days like he states. He'd then attend the Command School thingie seen in ST2, do the Kobayashi Maru, and also serve as an instructor for Gary Mitchell, while at Lieutenant (j.g.) rank. Only after that would he sail out with captain Garrovick and truly leave the Academy for the first time.

Note that only a select few people do Kobayashi Maru or a comparable test - the only known examples are Kirk and Saavik, while McCoy never took the test. It seems that the test is not part of the mandatory Academy curriculum, but an add-on of some sort. Of course, McCoy could be an exception just because he's a doctor - perhaps he never took SF Academy to begin with? But later-era doctors have been shown to go through the Academy. None have mentioned a no-win scenario final exam, but that isn't solid proof...

FWIW, ST2 also makes it look a bit like Spock never took a no-win scenario test, either. When dying, he speaks *conditionally* of Kirk now knowing how he *would* have done in a Kobayasi Maru scenario.

Timo Saloniemi

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spock actually states that he never took the Kobayashi-Maru test. ("What do you think of my solution?")

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Timo
Member # 245

Right. Thanks.

There might be several ways for an officer to gain command privileges. If one doesn't take the special course right after graduation and do the adjoining no-win scenario excercise, one might be able to accumulate command merit through regular service and do a lesser course at a later point. Or a series of lesser courses, giving partial command qualifications, as apparently was the case with Crusher and Troi. As we saw, Troi actually did a sort of Kobayashi Lite.

Whether one gets to do the big command course right away might have something to do with shirt color - perhaps only the TOS goldshirts and TNG redshirts do it sort of automatically, while Spock possibly was a blueshirt in/after the Academy? TOS Redshirts and TNG yellowshirts might suffer from limitations as well, since apparently Eddington could not get captaincy while wearing yellow.

Timo Saloniemi

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since Troi said she both went to the Academy, but also got her degree in psychology from the University of Betazed, it's clear that you don't have to go to Starfleet Academy for training in the field you have, just for your commission (one wonders if she had to do the whole 4 years, or an advanced course).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the US Navy so I'll apply current day models to this (which obviously may not apply but at least they are one way to handle it).

We have several catagories of officer and while they all hold the same ranks they do have special roles and different "privileges".

Unrestricted line officers (URL) are the most like TNG red shirts. They can hold pretty much any management job on a ship - from engineering to tactical to small craft officer. In fact they are expected to learn all aspects in route to command. (Pilots are also URL but the whole aviator/surface/submarine officer thing doesn't seem to carry over to trek so we'll ignore that for now). They have no limits on what sort of command they can have (that's the "unrestricted" part.

There are also "limited duty officers" LDO's who have a particular job (i.e. engineering) that they specialize in and that's all they do. If they are the engineer on one ship they'll be an engineer on their next one. (Also they are prior enlisted, not something I'd try to apply to Trek). LDO's seem a lot like most of the career "yellow shirts" on TNG. Some folks like Worf and Geordi switch from red to yellow - perhaps they take a "LDO" like job in exchange for some unknown reward? There is a move in the US military to allow officers to specialize in a field and not be "promoted" into management (i.e. "hey I like flying, don't promote me into a desk job") - perhaps a red shirt can move into a "yellow" job that suits them and step out of the command track? Navy LDO's can hold any rank - but are not allowed command of a ship. Thus, high ranking LDO's (there aren't many due to Navy specific reasons) tend to hold highly technical jobs ashore - and may in fact be in command ashore. Trek yellow shirts seem to also be held back in regards to ship command - however there is at least some route that lets you back into red (Data, Worf).

The third (major) type of Naval officers are in the various Staff Corps. These are (like yours truly) those in the "professions" like lawyers, doctors, civil engineers(Seabees), etc. They can also hold any rank (even Admiral ranks) - cannot command ships but can command say the Legal Center or a Hospital - something specific to their "Corps". These seem to link up with TNG blue shirts. A Staff officer that wanted to become a ship Captain would have to get out of the Staff Corps and get recommisioned as a URL - in theory possible but I've never heard of it happening. If fact it is usually the other way around (a URL going to law school and switching or something).

A LT, say, from any of the groups is basically the same as a LT from another in terms of rank (there is a complicated method of determining who outranks whom if there is two with the same date of rank, but that's beside the point).

Its only a model.

TK

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toadkiller: Thanks for that info. I always love modern day Naval insight. I think what you're talking about carries over nicely to the Trek universe. However, the Trek universe seems able to ignore whatever rules the ranking system has when the script calls for it

I'd be interested in hearing that complicated method of determining who holds the higher rank, though

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess by "complicated" I meant - "this post seems long enough already" . Actually it works like this: positional authority (i.e. your relative jobs)>URL>LDO>Staff Corps all other things being equal (which would be a very odd situation). The Staff Corps are further broken down. All I really remember without looking it up is - Medical Corps>Dental Corps > Medical Service Corps > Nurse Corps.

So, a Medical Corps LT out ranks a Nurse Corps LT if both of their dates of rank are the same. However, a NC LT w/ DOR 1/1/01 outranks a MC LT with DOR 1/2/01. Of course a NC LCDR out ranks all LT's regardless of corps. The caveat of that being that the Staff officer can't take command of a warship so I suppose the LCDR NC would "advise" a URL junior officer (not likely to really happen).

I guess it is complicated. I have *never* seen it actually come down to figuring this out however - usually between date of rank and the authority given by your job it is sorted out. The military just sets up the rules so that someone is clearly and legally in charge regardless of the situation.

While we're at it - if all else is equal : Army rank> Navy rank > USMC rank > Air Force rank (IIRC).

TK (who is now tired) Out

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. But. . .

quote:
Army rank> Navy rank > USMC rank > Air Force rank (IIRC)

There is an official hierarchy? Wow. If so, looks like it's based on the age of the service, sort of.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, no. I really don't think so. First off, what about the Coast Guard? Also, Department of Health and some other group (can't remember) get salutes by regular military personnel according to the regs. It never happens, but it says it on paper, so you'd have to figure those in somewhere.

The ranks are broken down into numbers like this:

Navy/Coast Guard = number rank = Army/Air Force/Marines
Ensign = O-1 = 2nd Lt.
Lt. JG = O-2 = 1st Lt.
Lt. = O-3 = Captain
Lt. Commander = 0-4 = Major
Cmdr. = O-5 = Lt. Colonel
Captain = O-6 = Colonel

Thusly, a Navy Lieutenent would salute an Army Major. An Army Captain would salute a Navy Captain, and so on. For those of the same rank it goes by date of service. Equal respect for each branch and all that. We're all on the same team after all.

Same setup for the enlisted ranks (though enlisted don't get saluted).

But even the military succumbs to common sense sometimes (though on comparatively pointless subjects). If at a complete loss for what to due, just show respect and courtesy due to the rank and you'll be fine.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that Surgeons General were given some sort fo military rank. Is that what you were referring to with the Department of Health thought?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

They wear a military-looking uniform, although if they're saluted (at all) because of the uniform or because they're in a position of authority within the Gov't isn't clear. Do senators and/or congress(wo)men get saluted?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, not the Surgeon General, it was a government agency and all the members in it, though it might not have been Dept. of Health. But it is something to do with health and public safety. My memory is quite rusty on the subject. Congress(wo)men do not get saluted to the best of my knowledge as they are part of the Legistlative branch of the government while the military exists as part of the Executive branch with the President as the Commander in Chief. Hence, he gets saluted. However, members of Congress do get gun salutes, though not 21.

And as an extra tidbit: Congressional Medal of Honor winners receive salutes by all members of the military no matter the winner's rank and the saluter's rank. An E-1 could win the Medal of Honor and then have to be saluted by all officers. Yes, he/she would even be saluted by the President of the United States.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps