Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Flash Back" Continuity (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: "Flash Back" Continuity
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Surgeon General is the head of the Public Health Service, and it is arranged along military lines.
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has gone way off topic -huh?

Tuvok is a Vulcan (there that's ST Voy at least)

The Public Health Service (USPHS), Coast Guard, and NOAA for that matter are "uniformed services" not "military services" - they are not within the Department of Defense - the Coast Guard can be brought over to DOD and is generally called military but legally it is not. (Might be a similar arrangement that makes SF not "military" btw). All military services are uniformed but not all uniformed services are military. Not all members of the USPHS or NOAA are part of the uniformed services - but they make up the core of those agencies.

So - we have "Army style" ranks (2nd LT, 1st LT, Capt, Major, etc.) for the Army, Marines, and Air Force and "Navy style" ranks (ENS, LTJG, LT, LCDR, etc.) for the Navy, Coast Guard, USPHS, and NOAA. All officers of all uniformed services have the same "pay grades" (0-1, 0-2, 0-3, 0-4, etc.) - so the ranks are equal.

What I meant by my earlier post is that there is an "order of precedence" for the various military departments and that precedence is (again IIRC) Army - Navy - Marines - Air Force. Although the Navy/Marines may be switched now that I think about it. That does not mean that as a Navy officer I automatically salute all Army officers - the normal rules of rank apply, I salute those superior in rank (O-4 and up), pass with no salute those of my own rank (O-3) just a "hi - how's it going" basically - and return the salutes given to me by those I outrank 0-2 and below (although junior officers, in the Navy 0-4 and below, may or may not actually salute one another in a given situation depending on situation dependent social rules that you just sort of have to "feel" out - when in doubt follow the above rules).

So - the order of precendece only applies when there is no other method of sorting something out, or placing service flags or something like that.

Sorry for the confusion - for more on all this feel free to e-mail me off board!

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gene Roddenberry always maintained that Starfleet was not military, but a uniformed service., that like the Coast Guard, had military ranks and occasionaly, military actions
O'Brien stated that he still had to go to school to enlist, as did Simon Tarses in "Drumhead" Rand probably had to go through some training to become a yeoman, and was still enlisted as of Star Trek I, as a chief petty officer by her insignia and title.. not an ensign by this point... however, there were 14 years between The Motion Picture, and "The Search for Spock" where she appeared to be a lieutenant (or lieutenant commander? I'll watch it tonight.. she might have been wearing that strange lieutenant senior grade pin like Valeris in TUC, in between Full Lieutenant and Lt.Cmdr). Some noncanon sources say she recieved a field commission for experience gained on intelligence work, but it also seems likely she could have gone to command school, (kind of like how Corporal Johnnie Rico became a Third Lieutenant without doing his full college years, by going to accelerated officer training for enlisted in Starship Troopers [the book, not the eye-candy movie]). sometime in that 14 year gap. In Star Trek IV she was wearing a crewman jumpsuit, but this scene was cut from many versions and did not have rank insignia. Some officers still wore jumpsuits for efficiency sake, ill check a source for that from the Fletcher costume designs. So being a Commander, first officer of a captital ship in 2293, eighteen years after having been a chief petty officer and 27 years after being a fresh young able yeoman maybe not that far-fetched?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Search for Spock" where she appeared to be a lieutenant

This char had a Commander-pin and wasn't Rand IMO.

quote:
she might have been wearing that strange lieutenant senior grade pin like Valeris in TUC, in between Full Lieutenant and Lt.Cmdr).

Valeris wore a Lt. Cmdr.-Pin (Her uniform was off the rack. That's why she wore the wrong pin). A Lt. SG-pin/rank doesn't exist.

quote:
In Star Trek IV she was wearing a crewman jumpsuit, but this scene was cut from many versions and did not have rank insignia.

I'm sure there were rank insignia (we just didn't see it). On her webpage GWL says that she was a CPO in STIV.

quote:
Some officers still wore jumpsuits for efficiency sake, ill check a source for that from the Fletcher costume designs

Commissioned Officers - normal uniforms
Noncomms - jumpsuits

quote:
So being a Commander, first officer of a captital ship in 2293

She was a Lt. Cmdr. in Flashback, but a Lt. JG in TUC. I think Tuvok has a very bad memory.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hee hee.. i can see why the comics i read stuck with the 'she was undercover' explanation for her Starfleet Intelligence either pretending to be an officer, or more likely, pretending to be enlisted for a term.

I'll check TUC.. most every source (novel, comic) has her as the first officer years before flashback so its not an original idea from the crap show

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here:

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phwooaarrr!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In STIV in the credits she's listed as "Commander Rand." Since this is the case, I have no problem accepting that the character in STIII was Rand also, as she was a Commander as well. What doesn't make sense is that she's back to Lt. JG in STVI. What was she in "Flashback"?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
In STIV in the credits she's listed as "Commander Rand."

This is obvious an error IMO. Credits aren't canon. Rand wearing a NCO jumpsuit is canon.

We just have to compare:

quote:
Scheme 1
Yeoman (TOS)
Chief (TMP)
Chief (TVH)
Lt JG (TUC)

quote:
Scheme 2
Yeoman (TOS)
Chief (TMP)
Commander (TSFS)
Chief (TVH)
Lt. JG (TUC)

S2 doesn't make much sense.

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure the credits are based on what the character was referred to in the script. Besides, it was the the intention of TPTB to present all of the cast regulars of TOS as Commanders in the movies. (w/ the exception of Kirk, of course.)

Scheme #3:
Yeoman (TOS)
Chief (TMP)
Commander (TSFS)
Commander (TVH)
Lt. JG (TUC)
Lt. Cmdr. ("Flashback")

Maybe she was demoted sometime after TVH, and then was given a field commission by Sulu to Lt. Cmdr. after the beginning of TUC, corresponding with "Flashback."

???

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
it was the the intention of TPTB to present all of the cast regulars of TOS as Commanders in the movies.

Then I don't understand why they put her in this jumpsuit.

She wasn't a commander in TVH. This is as canon as the Enterprise-D being a Galaxy-class vessel.

I'm pretty sure, that Rand wore the Lt JG pin at the end of TUC. The Lt. Cmdr. pin is just a sloppiness (like Valtane's death).

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm sure the credits are based on what the character was referred to in the script."

In that case, our friendly neighbourhood communications officer was called "Uhuru" in ST VI.

"Besides, it was the the intention of TPTB to present all of the cast regulars of TOS as Commanders in the movies."

Except for Scotty. And Spock. And Sulu (in STVI).

And except for ST:TMP, where several of them are Lt Commander (and Checkov is only a lieutenant, I think).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
This is as canon as the Enterprise-D being a Galaxy-class vessel.

Umm...

...is this supposed to make sense?

--------------------

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know! There's this rare disease called "rankconfusionitis" that only affects second tier characters like Rand and O'Brien.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

capped
Member # 709

Because no Star Trek producer has ever understood the concept of 'non-commissioned' because they cant write for characters that didnt get a four-year degree like they did maybe?

my scheme:

Yeoman (TOS)
Chief PO (TMP)
...finally made ensign! yay for officer's training
Lt Cmdr (TSFS)
Lt Cmdr (TVH) wearing a jumpsuit because it suited her
Cmdr (TUC & Flashback) Wearing the wrong pins because of a production error, even though she's listed in the credits as Commander. Because every single piece of literature thats come out associated with that appearance makes her the Excelsior's first officer.

By these rationale, Picard was demoted to Commander briefly in TNG but then repromoted between scenes by communique from Starfleet.. but we didnt mind because in the credits it still said Patrick Stewart as CAPTAIN Picard

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps