Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Adm. Ross- There might be $$$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Adm. Ross- There might be $$$$
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

What kind of admiral was Adm. Ross? When he first appeared he seemed to just be your run of the mill admiral. Towards the end of DS9 he seemed to be someone special. I base this on the fact that he was discussing Worf with Gen. Martok in WYLB.

Comments?

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #3 : Whenever someone under you screws up make sure you teach them a lesson more so than you punish them.

Deep6
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
He had 3 pips (or whatever they are)on his collar, so thats fairly important. i believe he was originally the commander of the 9th fleet, but as for in the end, i dont know.

------------------
"So where are the nuggets on a chicken anyway?"

IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was referred to as Vice Admiral William J Ross in TDoW, which matches his three pips. (Is it just me or are there a hell of a lot of Vice-Admirals.)

------------------
"A Star Wars picture that preaches against greed is a little like Bill Clinton in the pulpit for a chastity-begins-at-home campaign."

-Rex Murphy on Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps there is a Vice-Admiral in charge of each fleet, so at least nine of them.

------------------
-I'm not principal of the line, mother.
-And you never will be...

grb
Ex-Member

Spoilers ahead....

There seem to have been alot of changes in position over the course of the war. First it started out like this, during "A Time to Stand":

Sisko is just captain of the Defiant

Martok is just captain of the Rottaren

Ross is some type of important commander. Could he be the suprememe commander of the ill-fated 7th fleet?

Over the course of the season 6 war arc, we saw sisko move to some more important position as one of ross' advisors.

By "You are Cordially Invited," the station has been retaken. At this point....

Sisko is just captain of the defiant and DS9

Martok is supreme commander of the 9th fleet

Ross disappears....Maybe he has gone back to starbase 375 to continue to command the 7th fleet, or some other force.

It seems it stays pretty much that way until "Tears of the prophets":

Sisko is named commander of the invasion of cardassia.

Martok is still commander of the 9th fleet.

Ross reappears before the battle, but then disappears.....It seems possible that more than one fleet was used in the invasion of chin'toka. Maybe Ross' 7th fleet (back to at least half strenght as metnioned in some other obscure episode) also participates in the invasion, but perhaps ross himself stays behind.

After this point Ross appears on the station several more times, such as in "Take me out to the Holosuite." Maybe by this point the 7th fleet also operates out of DS9, along with the 9th.

Ross' importance changes by "The Emeperor's New Cloak." In this episode, Martok mentions he'll ask Gorwron for more ships, and Sisko says he'll ask admiral ross for more ships. I believe it is possible that by this time Ross has been placed in charge of all federation forces fighting in the dominion war.

Overtime, i believe things start to change. Because by the 7th season arc, Martok is mentiones by Gorwron to have been commanding the entire klingon war effort. Perhaps by this point martok was put in command of all klingon forces operating in the dominion war.

So, by the time of the finale, things stand as follows:

Sisko is still in command of the invasion of cardassia. This includes commanding the battle of carddassia prime.

Martok, now channcelor, is in command of all klingon forces.

Ross is in command of all federation forces fighting in the dominion war.

Thoughts?

------------------
"How many people does it take before it becomes wrong?"- Jean-Luc Picard

"Fortune Favors the Bold."- Benjamin Sisko

"And so, the warriors, the peacemakers, the helpers, the saviors, the forgotten, and the remembered, they all signed on that data padd and peace was made."- Shannon London-Karkarsku, leader of the Unisist Movement

Captain Alex Herenwhiner,
Transwarp inter-dimension timeship explorer U.S.S. Liberty

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
makes sense, I like it.

------------------
-I'm not principal of the line, mother.
-And you never will be...

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with that, but it seemed to me that Sisko was given an unusual amount of power during the war. Esp. the battles. It felt like Sisko was the Adm. and Ross was a Capt.

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #3 : Whenever someone under you screws up make sure you teach them a lesson more so than you punish them.

[This message was edited by bryce on June 18, 1999.]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know what happened to Alynna Nechayev - she WAS after all the Admiral in charge of the sectors closest to the Cardassian boarders!?!

------------------
"Ooh, FASA." - The Shadow, aka Frank G - June 1999

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe she was replaced by Admiral Ross...

------------------
Star Trek: Dark Horizon
Creator, Owner, Only Writer

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw an admiral they all 4 pips with a box around them. But then later they refined it so that 1-4 pips boxed represent an admiral. 1 pip boxed means 1 star admiral, 2 pips boxed meaning 2 star admiral, etc.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?

grb
Ex-Member

Sisko was given so much power because starfleet put him in charge of the invasion of cardassia. Thus, Ross would have made the major war decisions, such as fleet deployment and such, while sisko lead many of the actual battles and made the invasion plans.

------------------
"How many people does it take before it becomes wrong?"- Jean-Luc Picard

"Fortune Favors the Bold."- Benjamin Sisko

"And so, the warriors, the peacemakers, the helpers, the saviors, the forgotten, and the remembered, they all signed on that data padd and peace was made."- Shannon London-Karkarsku, leader of the Unisist Movement

Captain Alex Herenwhiner,
Transwarp inter-dimension timeship explorer U.S.S. Liberty

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no such thing as one-star, two-star admiral, etc. Presumably some deep underling at Pocket was labeling the rank diagram and made more than a few mistakes.

The TNG-era rank system for admirals is as follows:

[l] (Not in use, could have been Commodore once upon a time)

[ll] Rear Admiral

[lll] Vice Admiral

[llll] Admiral

I would appear that Fleet Admiral is not a rank but more of a position by the TNG era. (Nechayev was a Vice Adm. in CoC and had the usual 3 pips but was referred to as Fleet Admiral in The Search 2 and had the same number of pips... it's unlikely she jumped two ranks in two and a half years as well as wore the same number of pips. And Fleet Adm. Shanthi had 3 pips in Redemption 2). I like to think of it as analagous to Staff Sergeant in a Police Detachment... a rotating chief-of-staff position amongst those of Sergeant rank. Presumably the Federation is carved up into Starfleet operations regions and each one has one a rotating order for Fleet Admiral's post for that region.

------------------
"A Star Wars picture that preaches against greed is a little like Bill Clinton in the pulpit for a chastity-begins-at-home campaign."

[This message was edited by The_Tom on June 19, 1999.]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a one-star admiral would be a Commodore/RA (lower half), a two-star admiral would be a RA (upper half), etc. Different names, same rank.

The one-pip rank (Commodore/RA [lower half]) is certainly in use...those admirals would probably be in command of small flotillas and such.

"Fleet Admiral" (AKA Admiral of the Fleet) is normally the highest admiral rank, although the title could also be informally be applied to an admiral of lower rank in command of a fleet. Vice-Admirals do this in the US, and could very well act in the same capacity in Starfleet.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

...Certainly in use? We've never ever seen a one pip-in-a-box rank ever. We've never heard of Commodore or Rear Admiral Lower Half or any flag rank lower than Rear Admiral since TOS. In fact, considering Kirk went from Captain to R. Adm in 18 months it stands to reason that Commodore was gone by the end of TOS.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But it leaves a severe hole in the command structure, though. And we've never really seen small groups of ships together either, so there haven't been many opportunities for Commodores to show up.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps